Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom (D) 29 43.94%
President Donald Trump (R) 37 56.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m curious, if California is so hated, why are so many people still moving here?
Actually, California has a net negative migration percentage.

But since Kansas has been mentioned in this thread, ill point out that they are worse as a percentage of the population

California -.24

Kansas -.37

New York and
Michigan are tied for worst at -.47

Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
SF is the 2nd most hated city in the US. The only city that is more hated in America thn SF is LA.
Running a Californian prog is political suicide for the Dems. How is someone like Newsom or Harris (or, even worse, Garcetti) going to appeal to working class voters in Midwestern swing states?
Ill be honest here. You are right. That being said you are also wrong.

Its not really the state that matters, it is the party and ideology.

You republicans are perfectly fine with Coastal conservatives having control of your party(look at the congressional committees and count the California and Florida Republicans running them).

The problem is that midwesterners have a problem with coastal Democrats(unjustly)

Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 PM

436 posts, read 302,344 times
Gavin Newsom has a bad reputation with San Francisco. He's a total flake who just disappears not telling anyone taking days off for no reason

Their newspaper has reported about it multiple times

His Dad is a Judge and owned a home in our neighborhood (In Alta, California)

I've seen Ed Asner there (he is from Mary Tyler Moore show) they are close friends

Gavin has a nice dad, not sure what happened but he's a real snake in the grass

Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
Gavin Newsom has a bad reputation with San Francisco. He's a total flake who just disappears not telling anyone taking days off for no reason

Their newspaper has reported about it multiple times

His Dad is a Judge and owned a home in our neighborhood (In Alta, California)

I've seen Ed Asner there (he is from Mary Tyler Moore show) they are close friends

Gavin has a nice dad, not sure what happened but he's a real snake in the grass
Never heard about this so I googled it. I saw maybe 4 articles on it. all of which were written within a week of each other. around the first week of November 2009

They are all about him dropping out of the governors race and going to Hawaii with his family. Thats not the bad reputation you claimed he had.

it seems he simply didnt inform his staff state he was dropping out, and they were blindsided, which isnt unusual in politics.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:22 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
I’m curious, if California is so hated, why are so many people still moving here?
Because they're Mexicans.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Never heard about this so I googled it. I saw maybe 4 articles on it. all of which were written within a week of each other. around the first week of November 2009

They are all about him dropping out of the governors race and going to Hawaii with his family. Thats not the bad reputation you claimed he had.

it seems he simply didnt inform his staff state he was dropping out, and they were blindsided, which isnt unusual in politics.
I read them firsthand.
I've worked in S.F
I am from California and have family and friends there.
I know a little of what I speak...

Old 12-17-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
I read them firsthand.
I've worked in S.F
I am from California and have family and friends there.
I know a little of what I speak...
But your argument was that the papers had written about it...... multiple times, and it seems the only time they ever wrote about it was that one particular time.

so you are making a claim with nothing to back it up.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think California has had a budget surplus for 3 straight years.

That being said, a surplus means you have extra money on top of what you were willing to spend. it does not necessarily mean you saved money anywhere. And in fact, in accounting terms, if you did your job right. it 100% means you didnt save money, and that it is just extra money from somewhere.
That's the kind of money I like to have. I've never known anyone who would give it to me outside of government. Sounds like the Federal Reserve Bank.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,102,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Some mess! California has turned it around under Brown/Newsom. They are forecasting a $2.8 billion dollar budget surplus next year and say they could weather a mild recession, and no tax increases expected in the next four years. Kansas and the other states that followed the trickle down mantra should be doing so well. And anyone is better than Trump who is about to sign a budget busting giveaway to billionaires that will increase the debt by $2 trillion or more over time.
CA has the highest number of homeless in the USA: California, so is that where the "surplus" comes from, not taking care of their own? From 1995 to 2010, CA cut the funding to serve people with acute psychiatric illnesses by 40%: Bill takes risks with lives of people in mental health crisis: Guest commentary – Daily News, so I guess they saved some money for a surplus there. And then there is harboring of illegal aliens that cost American lives.

Kansas has low cost of living and crime rate, and CA, say what? We also support the laws of our country, and 2nd Amendment rights. If we start bringing back jobs to our country and kick the illegal aliens back to where they came from, Kansas will be doing very well. Many have left because of the lack of employment.
We have the right to protect ourselves here, and we have voter photo ID requirements.

Again, I would never vote for someone from CA. I can't figure out what is going on there with all the anti-government and laws of our country crap, but I certainly don't want to put something like that in a federal position.

Quote:
Where did you hear such a thing?

Why some people are fleeing Southern California – Orange County Register
Leaving California? After slowing, the trend intensifies
California exports its poor to Texas, other states, while wealthier people move in | The Sacramento Bee

Company helps people get out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70A6hNO-zjg

Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
But your argument was that the papers had written about it...... multiple times, and it seems the only time they ever wrote about it was that one particular time.

so you are making a claim with nothing to back it up.
You didn't disprove anything. Please stop arguing something you've got no backing for. You don't even live here.

I read it firsthand. Multiple times. Again, I work in S.F. at times. And have friends and family there.

Just because google didn't produce the results you wanted in doesn't mean you are not in error. I never read it online nor assume that they keep every copy for years on end. It's well known, and it's been in the papers MULTIPLE Times.

Your assumption that you can find this online, guaranteed, is a falsehood. My guess is you'd be lucky to get some hits about it so you are arguing to waste my time. This is a FACT, not disputable by most people, especially older people who have time to understand the affairs of where they live.

Gavin comes and goes as he pleases. He is a no-show to many things at work. His staff endured this flake until finally exposing it. He is not well liked.

Last edited by Cyclist1968; 12-18-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.