Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:11 AM

14,488 posts, read 6,137,774 times

Advertisements

Roy Moore's defeat was good for the Republican Party. President Trump breathed a sigh of relief when he lost and immediately called and congratulated the winner Doug Jones.

We lost a seat. The baggage that would have come with Moore having that seat was not worth it and Moore is gone. I was very pleased when he lost the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 09:12 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
A conservative claiming that "libs" don't understand much? Now that's rich. We have long since put Hillary behind us, at least the ones I know. It's you guys who seem to continually bring up her and Obama for whatever reason. As far as where this is headed I think you guys see what's coming and are desperately trying to divert attention away from the joke you put in the White House. I don't know a single lib, or independent for that matter, who isn't looking forward to the mid terms and 2020. We're intent on correcting the mistake that was made in 2016.

The issue is Clinton accepted the outcome. It's possible that some of her supporters didn't but what they do is irrelevant to this discussion. Roy Moore is a national embarrassment by dragging this out. You and the poster above are trying desperately to equate Hillary's actions after the election with one of your candidates who's acting like a spoiled child to bring the other side down to his level. Hillary did not act that way after she lost. Of course her supporters would do anything to interfere with Trump. That's no different than what the supporters of a conservative candidate would do if their guy lost. I seem to remember a lot of that going on after Obama beat Romney in 2012.

You guys had all your hopes pinned on Moore winning that election to further cement your claim that the US as a whole is embracing Trump and a far right conservative ideology. The Alabama election smashed those hopes for you. It instead lets us see that even people in the deep red South are rejecting what's going on right now in Washington. They didn't reject it by electing the far right conservative but a centrist Democrat! If you don't see the significance of that then that's your problem.
where did you get the idea we had our hopes pinned on Moore winning? Most of us are not happy he was the candidate. But it is over. As for 2018 and 2020, I guess we are blind as most of us are not worried about the next 2 elections. Will the GOP lose some seats? Of course, it is a known fact that the party in power usually loses seats in off year elections. If you are thinking, the Dems will take over the house, that is stretch. As for 2020, God only knows and maybe he doesn't know at this stage. We have no assurance Trump will even be the nominee and certainly no idea who, of the other side will get the nomination. Right now there is no one that stands out as a natural for the position. If you are basing one election on how people in the far south feel you do need to get your head out of that dark place.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 35,000,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
did I say anywhere they reacted in the same way? Of course I didn't and I have no more respect for him than I do for her, maybe less as a matter of fact. My point, but I know libs can't understand much, is: both are poor losers. He is reacting in one way and she in another, but both are acting like children.
very true. roy moore is acting out like a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum, where as hillar is acting like a 5 year old that is mad at the world and blaming every one but herself for her problems. both of them need to start acting like an adult.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM

20,995 posts, read 9,711,156 times
I read an article yesterday that Roy Moore, in all the races he's lost, has never conceded defeat in any of them. Not surprised.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:24 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,753,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
where did you get the idea we had our hopes pinned on Moore winning? Most of us are not happy he was the candidate. But it is over. As for 2018 and 2020, I guess we are blind as most of us are not worried about the next 2 elections. Will the GOP lose some seats? Of course, it is a known fact that the party in power usually loses seats in off year elections. If you are thinking, the Dems will take over the house, that is stretch. As for 2020, God only knows and maybe he doesn't know at this stage. We have no assurance Trump will even be the nominee and certainly no idea who, of the other side will get the nomination. Right now there is no one that stands out as a natural for the position. If you are basing one election on how people in the far south feel you do need to get your head out of that dark place.
I'm not basing anything on just one race but that one race was significant in terms of the upset and who was responsible. And most importantly, who won and where. I base my opinions on trends. Dems retaking the House may not be as far of a stretch as you were led to believe. But like you say, at the end of the day no one really knows. We'll just have to wait and see. Interesting times ahead for us.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:24 PM

7,196 posts, read 4,796,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Roy Moore's defeat was good for the Republican Party. President Trump breathed a sigh of relief when he lost and immediately called and congratulated the winner Doug Jones.

We lost a seat. The baggage that would have come with Moore having that seat was not worth it and Moore is gone. I was very pleased when he lost the election.
Wow.

Really?

Then, if what you say is true, WHY did Donald Trump wholeheartedly ENDORSE Roy Moore?

WHY would anyone ENDORSE a candidate just to hope that candidate loses?

Please, please stop making stuff up. Delusions aren’t true.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,753,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

If he would have won I have a feeling you'd be rubbing it in the faces of the left on here every chance you got. Those who praise Trump the loudest and say the Dems are "finished" as a party have been unusually quiet since that election. I think you're just trying to make the best out of a bad situation for you and your fellow conservatives.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 35,000,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Wow.

Really?

Then, if what you say is true, WHY did Donald Trump wholeheartedly ENDORSE Roy Moore?

actually dash is right, moore losing was good for the republican party. if moore had won the election, he would have been sat in the senate, and then immediately subjected to a senate ethics investigation, and chances are he would have been censured in some manner by the senate, and then would have been a huge load stone around republicans necks in 2018.

as it is now, he is just a sore loser that republicans can easily throw under the bus and dismiss as being of no consequence in 2018.

as for trump, he didnt fully endorse moore, in fact he supported luther strange in the primary, and withheld support for moore until late in the election cycle, though he did say he wanted moore in instead of jones.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:00 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Wow.

Really?

though I am not sure I buy what he said, I have heard that theory more than once in the past few weeks and it makes some sense. As for Trump endorsing him, I wouldn't say wholeheartedly but of course he did, he had to stick with the choice like it or not. yes, I know he campaign for him but it was more a rally which he is so good at, than a real campaign push.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:17 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,358,781 times
Despite first endorsing losing candidate Luther Strange, Trump most certainly and wholeheartedly endorsed Roy Moore. He said it, he tweeted it, he made a robocall recording and he campaigned for him in the Alabama media market.

These are facts, and no spin can change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections