Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,577 times

Advertisements

I am going to preface this with the fact that I know I have been one of the biggest Obama non supporters on this forum. I know I just said yesterday I'd rather cut off my hand before I would vote for him if he gets the nomination and would vote McCain. But I've been doing some reading up on McCain today and he is no where close to my stances on the issues. I've heard many people from both Hillary's side and Obama's side that if their candidate doesn't get the nomination they will vote McCain.

We know Hillary and Obama are almost identical on the issues, right? So, if this is the case, are you really willing to vote McCain b/c you dislike the personality, background, friends, spouse, etc. of the democratic nominee? The more I think about it the more I can honestly say that I don't think I can vote for McCain. I'm in quite a quandry here. Please keep it clean and civil. I don't want to read a bunch of attacks. I'm asking a question that we all need to think about before we wind up with 4 more years of what we've had for the last 8 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 02:17 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,102 times
No. I wouldn't vote for McCain. I would write in or not vote at all.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Why the antipathy for Obama?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,151,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
No. I wouldn't vote for McCain. I would write in or not vote at all.
Same here. I can't vote for a man that seems to still have trouble with who we are fighting in Iraq. I can't vote for a man that continues to call on the same people Bush has called on for economic advice. I can't vote for a man that has no desire to speak to other nations and refuses to believe that our own policies have something to do with the hatred of other countries. I'd rather not vote at all. However, I will be writing in my vote. It might not count, but it was what I needed to do.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:25 PM

357 posts, read 890,856 times
I am definitely in the 80% of those polled who are committed to their candidate, but will vote for the Dem. candidate regardless of who it is. I am not a registered Democrat, but I closely identify with the issues that both Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama support. While I support Sen. Obama, I can see the draw of Sen. Clinton, and I think many who support either candidate will follow suit with the nominee.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,577 times
That's the point. Why waste a vote writing in and give the presidency to McCain? Why can people not accept that if Hillary is the nominee, she and Obama are almost identical on the issues? Why would you not vote for her? And if Obama is the candidate, why not vote for him? I want to see the issues I believe in addressed and one of these 2 is going to get the nomination. Why would you not for one of them? Otherwise, you are giving the Republican party another 4 years.

580 posts, read 1,680,576 times
I'm a undecided voter.
I'm leaning towards Hillary Clinton and support her on the revotes in Michigan and Florida. As it is looking at the moment, these two states may not have a revote... The DNC may divide the delegates fairly which is a ridculous ideal ( Thats not the votes of the people ) I've said before that I want Hillary or Obama to get the nomination for sure... but if Michigan and Florida dont have a revote 1. I'm not so sure about that 2. If its Obama's fault that these states didnt revote ( which it seems like its more of his fault then the legislators ) I probably will re-consider on whether I would vote for McCain or Obama in the nomination. ( Too much to explain why for someone to understand, I would assume )

3,255 posts, read 5,077,947 times
I will vote for the Democrat.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:27 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times
Actually, aside from the war (and I don't honestly believe that a quick withdrawal of troops is possible), I think Hillary and McCain are closer on issues than Hillary and Obama are. Hillary and McCain are fiscal conservatives, favoring tax credits for assistance over big giveaways. And I equally trust Hillary or McCain with foreign policy; it's just that I am more confident that Hillary won't get us into any more conflicts around the world.

So, yes, if Hillary doesn't get the nomination I will most likely vote for McCain. I'm not giving an absolute yet because there are still things I don't know about McCain that I would have to investigate.

If I have to "settle," there are some lower-tier issues that come into play -- abortion, for instance. There is NO WAY I could, in good conscience, go along with Obama's record on abortion. He is strongly in favor of late-term abortions and he even voted AGAINST providing basic medical care to babies who survive abortion! Also, as a former teacher, I am entirely against Obama's plan to provide direct federal bonuses to teachers. They tried that in Texas and it was a mess. (And I'm saying this even though I got a several thousand dollar bonus!) Then, there's the "I will meet personally with dictators" promise and other things I find foolish and potentially harmful.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,102 times
Because to me Hillary and McCain are both egregious for different reasons, and I have a conscience to follow. My heart and mind would never allow me to vote for them just to have a Democrat in office. Besides, I think Obama is going to win so I can't be any more hypothetical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections