Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 03:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,412,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Doesn't take much to discern a disgusting pig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwWux5BAczk
Maybe five people will read your continued low information cathartic nonsense that confers magic powers to one half of the high school educated nation. Whereas what I laid out is the truth that defines the situation for the United States.

So, what else do you have? Let's read another witty insult. Maybe two people will read the next one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 03:38 PM

1,330 posts, read 702,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Maybe five people will read your continued low information cathartic nonsense that confers magic powers to one half of the high school educated nation. Whereas what I laid out is the truth that defines the situation for the United States.

So, what else do you have? Let's read another witty insult. Maybe two people will read the next one.
I didn't realize you were God.

Looks like you and Trump have something in common then. Seeing yourself as superior to everyone else.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip91 View Post
Trump failed to carry the White vote in California, Oregon, and Washington. He also underperformed among Whites in Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. Someone wrote an interesting article on this a while back, saying that Whites out West are a "different species" than Whites elsewhere in the country, noting that even in New York Trump carried the White vote.
I'm guessing that a lot of it is also cultural. The mountain region and west tends to have a lot more "free spirited" and outdoor oriented people and have less interest in corporate ladders and rather work-life balances.

Easy example: I grew up in Chicago. Most jobs had a standard 2 weeks vacation for new employees, have a formal or business casual dress code and few have remote-work/work from home opportunities. Out here in Colorado, many companies that I have friends at are more laid back. Jeans and a polo. 3+ weeks of vacation (or unlimited), work from home 1-2 days/week, more work social gatherings with Friday afternoon happy hours etc.

The more centered you are around corporate culture, the more you might find some of Trump's policies appealing.

That's my take, at least.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,823,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
CA is full of illegals, robber baron CEOs, probably loads of H1Bs (though not as bad as NJ, though NJ didn't go to Trump either.) , the Berkley nuts, and other Far Far Leftists.

Other states like Oregon and Washington MIGHT have gone for Trump had not a few large Democrat cities swayed the vote. Nevada and New Mexico were filled with people fleeing CA and also illegals. Same thing for Colorado.

As for Arizona, I fear they are near tipping but I think they went for Trump.
Translation: Trump might have won had not the majority of the voting population voted against him. Duh.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Every state but MN (and that by less than 10,000 votes.) went to Reagan for his second term. George HW took CA in his one term.

It was Reagan's stupid amnesty that was in large part responsible for the bluing of the West Coast.
Actually, no.

All the coastal states regularly switched from R to D and back again. In fact, for the decades I lived in Oregon, Oregon voters went for moderate Rs with an environmental bent every chance they were given. This kind of R no longer exists in national political life. Tom McCall typified the breed, and to this day, Ds and Rs alike think of McCall as the quintessential Oregonian.

Then California Gov Pete Wilson (R), supported the (not-so-bright) idea of instituting a state-run citizenship screening system with the intention of preventing illegal immigrants from using social services (California Proposition 187). The referendum passed but was struck down. Boom.

"In November 1997, Pfaelzer found the law to be unconstitutional on the basis that it infringed on the federal government's exclusive jurisdiction over matters relating to immigration."

"Republicans' embrace of Proposition 187 has been cited as a key factor for the decline of the Republican Party in California."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...roposition_187

I'll note that while the bill was aimed at Hispanics, much of California's Asian population also opposed it, and a lot of whites did also. Those of us who actually live here agree that this marks the turning point for the shift from purple to reliably blue in California, and west coasters tend to hang together as a bunch. Not least because we move between the states. As an adult, I've lived in all three, and feel at home in all three, although I prefer the cooler climate in the PNW.

There are other contributing reasons to the shift, which I think are are more important over the long-term than immigration, notably the increasingly anti-environment stance of national Rs, and attitudes about the proper place of religion in politics.

An aside - if it weren't for immigration controversies, I think most Hispanics would be voting R. Most are socially conservative and believe in the primacy of the family and the value of hard work. If they no longer felt so threatened by R immigration attitudes - well, California, Oregon, and Washington wouldn't be nearly so solid blue as they are now.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-01-2018 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 PM

1,663 posts, read 884,390 times
Quote:
CA is full of illegals, robber baron CEOs, probably loads of H1Bs (though not as bad as NJ, though NJ didn't go to Trump either.) , the Berkley nuts, and other Far Far Leftists.

Other states like Oregon and Washington MIGHT have gone for Trump had not a few large Democrat cities swayed the vote. Nevada and New Mexico were filled with people fleeing CA and also illegals. Same thing for Colorado.

As for Arizona, I fear they are near tipping but I think they went for Trump.
Every state in the west has suffered from Californication. The situation is similar in Oregon and Washington, a large, urban, liberal population on the west side, and a rural, conservative, agricultural east. In 2016, Hillary only won 8 of Oregon's 36 counties, and 11 of Washington's 39, but won Multnomah county (Portland) with 75.7% and King county (Seattle) with 71.9% And King county has at least half a million more people than all twenty eastern Washington counties combined, so what Seattle wants, the state gets.

Considering that Seattle has twice elected a communist to the city council, and the Tom Steyer glee club as governor, any return to sanity probably won't be anytime soon.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Hillary only won 8 of Oregon's 36 counties, and 11 of Washington's 39.
It's called population density.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,296,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Utah definitely didn’t want him in the primary and it’s hardly a liberal state.

Trump lost Texas and Ohio during the primaries and won those states comfortably in the general....your point?......you are not supposed to win all the primaries....Not even Reagan did that.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Every state in the west has suffered from Californication. The situation is similar in Oregon and Washington, a large, urban, liberal population on the west side, and a rural, conservative, agricultural east. In 2016, Hillary only won 8 of Oregon's 36 counties, and 11 of Washington's 39, but won Multnomah county (Portland) with 75.7% and King county (Seattle) with 71.9% And King county has at least half a million more people than all twenty eastern Washington counties combined, so what Seattle wants, the state gets.

Considering that Seattle has twice elected a communist to the city council, and the Tom Steyer glee club as governor, any return to sanity probably won't be anytime soon.
Translation - the state gets what the majority of its voters want.

It is not unfair that the majority rules.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:59 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,580,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Wasn't there a report that CA had 3 million illegal alien voters? Was that a hoax, or swept under the rug to protect Hillary?
It was as true as there being a child sex ring in a pizza place.

They should change the saying "like taking candy from a baby" and "like shooting fish in a barrel" to "like getting a Republican to believe something that any five year old would recognize as being preposterous".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections