Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 07:53 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,807,150 times

Advertisements

Terrific article about the increase in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans running for office this year, many of whom are running, like Conor Lamb in PA and Jason Crow in my congressional district in CO, as Democrats.

I thought it a great counterpoint to the arguments seen regularly here and elsewhere that insist that Democrats hate the military and don't care a whit about veterans. It also stresses that they are running because they believe in teamwork and working across the aisle, something sorely lacking currently.

The main focus of the article is a gentleman named Max Rose, a former Captain in the Army who is running for office in New York City (!) but it does also provide background on other races around the country.

"Rose, a 5-foot-6 power pack with an upbeat, shoulders-back gait, is near the forefront of a surge of a certain sort of candidate in the 2018 election cycle. Veterans who are Democrats are vying for Congress in numbers not seen in decades.
While the perception might exist that most veterans lean Republican, some 51 percent of the veterans who are or have been 2018 candidates, based on With Honor’s tally, are actually Democrats. "

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...stricts-217714
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:52 AM

6,273 posts, read 5,104,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Terrific article about the increase in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans running for office this year, many of whom are running, like Conor Lamb in PA and Jason Crow in my congressional district in CO, as Democrats.

I thought it a great counterpoint to the arguments seen regularly here and elsewhere that insist that Democrats hate the military and don't care a whit about veterans. It also stresses that they are running because they believe in teamwork and working across the aisle, something sorely lacking currently.

The main focus of the article is a gentleman named Max Rose, a former Captain in the Army who is running for office in New York City (!) but it does also provide background on other races around the country.

"Rose, a 5-foot-6 power pack with an upbeat, shoulders-back gait, is near the forefront of a surge of a certain sort of candidate in the 2018 election cycle. Veterans who are Democrats are vying for Congress in numbers not seen in decades.
While the perception might exist that most veterans lean Republican, some 51 percent of the veterans who are or have been 2018 candidates, based on With Honor’s tally, are actually Democrats. "

Thank you for posting this.

I am a conservative woman who voted for Trump. If he had run as an Independent I still would have voted for Trump. Not because of the party letter behind his name, but because of his platform.

There were many people who voted for Trump, who had voted for Obama once (or twice) in the two previous national elections. If they were blind hard liners, they would have voted for Clinton. They didn't.

Everyone likes to put people into neat little boxes because it's easier to deal with them that way. But a lot of people actually don't fall into neat boxes. It's about the candidate. The platform. The promises made and the promises broken or kept.

I hope that eventually the Democrat party gets its act together because true competition in elections (as in true competition in business) is good for the American people. What happened to the Democrat party this past election was toxic. I hope for better in the future (if they persuade people like Schumer, Pelosi, Waters, Boxer, Feinstein, Wasserman-Schulz, and pretty much every politician in California to retire). Right now, with so many crazies in the party, there is little breathing room left over for any moderate-liberal-leaning politician to gain traction. I wish these veteran aspiring-pols the best of luck.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:13 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:

I have problems accepting much of anything Politico has to say or write. I think it is safe to say, the majority of vets will be supporting the Republicans in Nov.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:48 PM

29,253 posts, read 22,560,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have problems accepting much of anything Politico has to say or write. I think it is safe to say, the majority of vets will be supporting the Republicans in Nov.
Don't be so sure of that. As a vet, my experience says it's closer to 50/50. The vets I know tend to swing back and forth between parties more often than the average civilian voters do.

It's important to remember that veterans are vets of several wars. Each war tends to have it's own thing with them. Sometimes the vets from one war are more conservative, other times and other wars, they are more liberal.

Right now, we have veterans who are in their early 20s, and vets who are in their 80s. And even age in between. As times change, so do they.

Veteran's issues are really the key. The one who promises and delivers on the vet's issues is who they will vote for.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:25 PM

15,506 posts, read 6,487,351 times
They are becoming more pro-war so it makes sense.

Though not all vetrans are hawks the given examples are.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,261,077 times
Quote:

If Democrats decide to run reasonable candidates that are veterans who don't hate average Jane & Joe AMerican, they will certainly win more elections than what they have with their hateful rhetoric that we saw before and after the election of Trump.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:43 PM

29,253 posts, read 22,560,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
They are becoming more pro-war so it makes sense.

Though not all vetrans are hawks the given examples are.
Veterans are becoming MORE PRO WAR?

Uh, OK. I'll mention that at the next VFW meeting. I'll tell them you said it, not me.

Juneau's right. Vets do not want more war.
They want much better care of those who are damaged by our past wars.

As do I, and every other vet I know. Idaho has always sent a lot of her sons and daughters off to war, so I know quite a few vets, and I'm one myself. If you show up at the local VFW hall and spout that nonsense, they'll drag out out to the alley and change your mind.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:44 PM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
If Democrats decide to run reasonable candidates that are veterans who don't hate average Jane & Joe AMerican, they will certainly win more elections than what they have with their hateful rhetoric that we saw before and after the election of Trump.
I agree, or at least that is what I am hearing from current military and vets.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections