Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 PM

9,730 posts, read 14,282,898 times

Advertisements

I vividly remember him and how he conducted himself in the debates. To me, he appeared snobbish, and angry. I got so tired of hearing him brag about all he did for his state. Yeah, right! Now he's inviting "the dreamers" to come to his state. We'll see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I vividly remember him and how he conducted himself in the debates. To me, he appeared snobbish, and angry. I got so tired of hearing him brag about all he did for his state. Yeah, right! Now he's inviting "the dreamers" to come to his state. We'll see how that goes.
Well in all fairness, he has been an outstanding governor. Would I support him for President? Nope. There was a time when I would have, but when he ran in 2016 and it became very apparent he was not truly a conservative, plus, yes, he came across as a bit of a snob, I quickly changed my mind.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:20 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
they sure don't say open borders.....but they use other phrases. Most Democrats are for sanctuary cities......Hell! if a Democrat is on public record that he is either pro-life or against sanctuary cities then he/she is done in any national race in the party, the party won't support you.

then you had Hillary Clinton on one of the Univision primary debates in 2016, she basically said if you make it here you get to stay here. She doesn't support separating families and the Latino crowd went wild and gave her a standing ovation....even Bill Maher made fun of that saying that the new Democrat immigration policy is if you make it here you get to stay here.

if that isn't for open borders then I don't know what is.
Both Democrats and Republicans support sanctuary cities. Heck, Rick Perry got on tv all the time and said it isn't his states job to do border security or detain illegals.

But I guess since he was saying it from a standpoint of " the feds aren't doing their job" , it was ok.

Neither side is against sanctuary cities, you have just demonized the term.

Also, pretty sure Republicans support not breaking up families as well, that's why every immigration bill includes some kind amnisty for children and reentry for adults.

The divide between Dems and Republicans on this issue is an illusion

Old 04-05-2018, 08:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Both Democrats and Republicans support sanctuary cities. Heck, Rick Perry got on tv all the time and said it isn't his states job to do border security or detain illegals.

But I guess since he was saying it from a standpoint of " the feds aren't doing their job" , it was ok.

Neither side is against sanctuary cities, you have just demonized the term.

Also, pretty sure Republicans support not breaking up families as well, that's why every immigration bill includes some kind amnisty for children and reentry for adults.

The divide between Dems and Republicans on this issue is an illusion
You can't be serious!!! First you are giving one example and even that you do not have 200% right. Never did Perry say or indicate he was in favor of sanctuary cities.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
Kasich is not a moderate. He signed a Downs Syndrome abortion ban for Ohio. Who is going to pay for the medical care for those children which includes everything from heart defects, vision, hearing and disability?

What conditions or disorders are commonly associated with Down syndrome?
https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/top...nfo/associated

Glad to hear Ohio taxpayers have that kind of money.

Gov. John Kasich signs Down syndrome abortion ban | cleveland.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'd rather have Kasich in office than Trump.
So would I but that's an extremely low bar.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post

Exactly.

Here is how he made Ohio's budget look good......he just kicked the can down the road, nothing but slight of hand.

I wouldn't call that outstanding.

Ohio tax changes under Gov. John Kasich leave villages, cities scrambling to cope with less (database) | cleveland.com

Quote:
But what he bills as successes for the state have come at the expense of Ohio's cities and villages, some of which are now raising local taxes, imposing new fees or cutting services.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:09 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,603,765 times
By 2020 no one will remember who Kasich is.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:17 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Love Trains, public transport is the best and the future of any sustainable society.
Public transportation is essential, but in the case of Amtrak its horribly run and woefully behind the times. Privatize and find other methods.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:35 PM

24,019 posts, read 15,115,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You can't be serious!!! First you are giving one example and even that you do not have 200% right. Never did Perry say or indicate he was in favor of sanctuary cities.
He didn't need to.

Look at what the state did. The city of Houston had the EXACT same policy on illegals. Rick Perry labeled Houston a sanctuary city and the idiots believed it.

As soon as the Republican(conservative base) gets it through their thick heads that employers want illegals, we will be half way to stopping this chit.

Who hires most illegals? It is not some guy working on his house going to the home depot parking lot. It is the many restaurants, most builders, hospitality industry and food processors. The University of Texas did a study that revealed at least 50% of the construction workers in Texas are illegal. That's a lot of foundations, roofs, framing and painting.

Texas does not license contractors. Anybody with a pick up can call himself anything they please. The federal government moves people in the witness protection program to Texas because it is so easy to set them up in business. Nobody has a record of who is doing what work.

I was told by a regional manager of a recently gone national chain of beloved Texas Mexican restaurants, that they couldn't run the place without illegals.

Do you think all these illegals and their employers are kept in business because a bunch of bleeding heart liberals think they can save everybody in the world?

This country will stay in deep trouble until we each drop our delusions and look around at the real world.

Xing off a candidate due to how they feel about rail, abortion or any other single issue is not productive.

The reasonable middle, Rs and Ds, need to find a candidate we can all support maybe 50% of their position
would be a starting point. I could go for Kasich , Huntsman or anybody else who halfway sane and realistic.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,379,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well in all fairness, he has been an outstanding governor. Would I support him for President? Nope. There was a time when I would have, but when he ran in 2016 and it became very apparent he was not truly a conservative, plus, yes, he came across as a bit of a snob, I quickly changed my mind.
By all accounts he did a good job as gov, but I thought his 2016 campaign was poor. During the 1990's as house budget chair he fought against Newt's attempt to jack up spending. He actually once wrote a budget that would have eliminated the federal dept's of energy, education, and commerce. Newt put the kibosh on that.

Somewhere along the line he must have changed. During the 2016 he cited Matthew 25 as a reason for gov't welfare spending. Conservatism f101: forcibly taking money from x to give it to y is not the charitable giving that Jesus was talking about in Matthew 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections