Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:33 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
1. Unemployment was about 4.5% when Obama left office. Now its 4.1% a year later. I think Obama could even take credit for the .4% drop since he left office.

2. GDP isn't as great as you think. Last quarter's report was not good. Minimal overall gain in GDP this last year. Again, what happened in the preceding eight years is more important than what happened in the last year in determining GDP numbers

3. Fewer people are on government assistance because of economic improvement that can be traced back to the eight years Obama was president, rather than the one year Trump has been President.

4. Businesses are not coming back to the USA in any appreciable numbers, yet.

5. The number of illegals entering this country dropped way down during the Obama years and some even gave him the nickname "Deporter in Chief". Obama even sent national guard troops to the border. Does that sound familiar to you?

Trump is like the little kid who hollers "Father and I shot the bear". The preceding president did 95% of the hard work that is responsible for where the American economy is today.

The American people understand this and that is why Trump gets an average approval rating of just 40% according to the Politics 538. Of course, all the polls are "fake news", "made up" and don't apply to Trump. The problem is that its not Trump running for election in November. Its a lot of republicans with targets on their backs. Tennessee is a conservative state and Blackburn may yet pull this off. Around the country off year elections tell us that elsewhere is going to be a much different story.
I am Always amazed with those who want to give credit to the past administration if it is good news but the present administration gets all the blame when things do not go well.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,724,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am Always amazed with those who want to give credit to the past administration if it is good news but the present administration gets all the blame when things do not go well.
The credit is split somewhere. 50/50 30/70? I don't know.

We've seen many places where negative news of this administration is blamed on the past administration yet they want to take credit for anything good.

Both sides do it. The truth, like in most cases, is somewhere in the middle.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:09 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,821,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yeah, just ignore the chart about how the military has been well funded and was not in need of immediate "building up." Because it's always best to ignore anything that might prove your point is invalid.

Maybe they would have and maybe they wouldn't have. But we'll never know, because Trump simply rolled over and gave in. Fighting for what he campaigned on was too much effort, I guess. So much for the myth of the great deal maker.
I don't need a graph to show me what my husband and those who are in actual military service talk about. I also don't need a graph for when a training or school is cancelled because of....funding. Also don't need a graph for when I hear a crew chief talk about how they are piecing together their one of their blackhawks because they need part but can't get them because of, you guessed it, funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Polls do have value.

If you are referring to 2016, polls still said Trump had a 33% shot or something like that to win. It wasn't 1% chance. It was 25 or 33% or so. It doesn't mean they have no value just because they were wrong in that instance.
If the polls had value during the 2016 election, Hillary would be our president and not Trump.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,393,776 times
You know what you just said is a lie.

Our military has been keeping planes flying by cannibalizing parts from other unflyable planes. Our fleet of ships has never been so small since WWII. Obama slashed the military, and you know it.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,135,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Our military has been keeping planes flying by cannibalizing parts from other unflyable planes. Our fleet of ships has never been so small since WWII. Obama slashed the military, and you know it.
How sad for you the the facts are the exact opposite of everything you post.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._2001-2014.png

But then, I suspect you are used to routinely being wrong by now. At least you should be.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:24 AM

30,775 posts, read 18,542,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Perhaps not. But I wouldn't read too much into it either at this stage. Of course, Bredesen is a popular former governor who has shown that he has what it takes to win crossover support to win statewide in TN. I expect Blackburn to win in TN (barring some serious scandal), but I don't expect her to blow out Bredesen. Any other Democrat, sure, but not Bredesen.
Blackburn up by 4 in latest poll. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...esen-6308.html

I've always said that this is a race I expect Blackburn to win, though I don't expect her to blow out Bredesen, as he's shown that he's a Democrat who can win statewide in TN in the not so distant past. Whenever we're dealing with a conservative state and early polls show the left of center Democrat winning but a significant percentage of the electorate undecided, I've almost always seen those undecided (who are conservative voters by and large) come home at the end of the day. We still have a little while to go before election day here, but my money is still on Blackburn.

Note, I also expect the GOP to hold AZ, though I think they are in serious trouble in Nevada. All in all, I expect the GOP to come out of this election with 53-54 Senate seats (I see them picking off ND, MO, FL, and possibly MT, while likely losing NV).

Old 08-15-2018, 01:03 AM

29,639 posts, read 16,680,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Blackburn up by 4 in latest poll. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...esen-6308.html

I've always said that this is a race I expect Blackburn to win, though I don't expect her to blow out Bredesen, as he's shown that he's a Democrat who can win statewide in TN in the not so distant past. Whenever we're dealing with a conservative state and early polls show the left of center Democrat winning but a significant percentage of the electorate undecided, I've almost always seen those undecided (who are conservative voters by and large) come home at the end of the day. We still have a little while to go before election day here, but my money is still on Blackburn.

Note, I also expect the GOP to hold AZ, though I think they are in serious trouble in Nevada. All in all, I expect the GOP to come out of this election with 53-54 Senate seats (I see them picking off ND, MO, FL, and possibly MT, while likely losing NV).
I would say he is still in the lead. There are some factors here that people who dont look into polling arent going to catch.

Likely voter in some polls means you voted in the last 3 elections. Obviously that completely ignores a large chunk of Democrats who didnt vote in 2014

Then there is the "active voter roll" which itself removes many democrats who didnt vote in 2016. In a red state like Tennessee where some Democrats sat out instead of voting for Clinton, the numbers could be way off in a "likely voter" poll based on "active voters".

Just saying.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:22 AM

5,308 posts, read 6,268,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Actually the biggest reductions in military were initiated under Bush. He was doing two things- right sizing the military to fall in line with the US winning the Cold War and getting the federal budget (and deficit) under control. Those cuts- which were not popular- were part of the reason Clinton was the only recent President to have us on track to actually pay down the debt. And they combined with technology are why he was also able to reduce government.

Since W's botched reaction to 9/11 there has really been no way to reduce military spending because of all the messes we own. Add in the fact that Republicans controlled the House for 6 of Obama's eight years in office and it is not logical to lay all the current problems at his feet.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:14 PM

14,513 posts, read 14,496,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Actually the biggest reductions in military were initiated under Bush. He was doing two things- right sizing the military to fall in line with the US winning the Cold War and getting the federal budget (and deficit) under control. Those cuts- which were not popular- were part of the reason Clinton was the only recent President to have us on track to actually pay down the debt. And they combined with technology are why he was also able to reduce government.

Since W's botched reaction to 9/11 there has really been no way to reduce military spending because of all the messes we own. Add in the fact that Republicans controlled the House for 6 of Obama's eight years in office and it is not logical to lay all the current problems at his feet.
As near as I can tell, the GOP believes in cutting everything, but military spending which they forced Congress to substantially increase a few months ago.

Our military is greater than the military of the next ten nations combined. I certainly don't support disarming. However, if the party-in-power's idea is to take medicaid away from children to give the pentagon another boost--when the dust settles--its going to look pretty ugly.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 PM
JRR

8,249 posts, read 5,772,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I would say he is still in the lead. There are some factors here that people who dont look into polling arent going to catch.

Likely voter in some polls means you voted in the last 3 elections. Obviously that completely ignores a large chunk of Democrats who didnt vote in 2014

Then there is the "active voter roll" which itself removes many democrats who didnt vote in 2016. In a red state like Tennessee where some Democrats sat out instead of voting for Clinton, the numbers could be way off in a "likely voter" poll based on "active voters".

Just saying.
I think that it is going to be a close race. Bredesen is a pretty good candidate for the Democrats. The ads (both run by pacs) that are bombarding me at this time are an interesting contrast. Blackburn's ad spends a lot of time talking about her attachment to Trump. The ad for Bredesen just sticks to his prior accomplishments as governor. It will be interesting to see how this race morphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections