Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 12:23 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,105,231 times

Advertisements

Former Gov. Phil Bredesen has a 10-point lead over U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn in the race to succeed U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, according to a new poll from Middle Tennessee State University. The latest poll is the first survey released this year to suggest Bredesen has a double-digit lead over Blackburn.

The MTSU poll also found Bredesen had a considerable advantage over Blackburn in terms of getting support from voters on the other side of the aisle.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...urn/485649002/

The political makeup of the poll's respondents included 34 percent Republicans, 25 percent Democrats and 28 percent independents, with another 8 percent choosing "other."

The Democrat leading the Republican in Tennessee, in a poll that surveyed more Republicans than Democrats.

Is this is one of those supposedly "safe" seats for the GOP?

Old 04-05-2018, 01:04 PM

30,699 posts, read 18,343,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Former Gov. Phil Bredesen has a 10-point lead over U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn in the race to succeed U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, according to a new poll from Middle Tennessee State University. The latest poll is the first survey released this year to suggest Bredesen has a double-digit lead over Blackburn.

The MTSU poll also found Bredesen had a considerable advantage over Blackburn in terms of getting support from voters on the other side of the aisle.

The political makeup of the poll's respondents included 34 percent Republicans, 25 percent Democrats and 28 percent independents, with another 8 percent choosing "other."

The Democrat leading the Republican in Tennessee, in a poll that surveyed more Republicans than Democrats.

Don't get your hopes up. While not discouraging for former Gov. Bredesen, he still has a lot of work (more than Blackburn) to get the undecideds to break his way in TN.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:10 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,105,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Don't get your hopes up. While not discouraging for former Gov. Bredesen, he still has a lot of work (more than Blackburn) to get the undecideds to break his way in TN.
Perhaps so, but the fact that the Democrat is leading by double-digits in Tennessee of all places is unexpected. It does not bode well for the GOP.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:13 PM

30,699 posts, read 18,343,305 times
Quote:
Perhaps so, but the fact that the Democrat is leading by double-digits in Tennessee of all places is unexpected. It does not bode well for the GOP.
Perhaps not. But I wouldn't read too much into it either at this stage. Of course, Bredesen is a popular former governor who has shown that he has what it takes to win crossover support to win statewide in TN. I expect Blackburn to win in TN (barring some serious scandal), but I don't expect her to blow out Bredesen. Any other Democrat, sure, but not Bredesen.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,663,890 times
Quote:

Wasn't Bredesen considered a potential presidential candidate prior to the 08 primaries (he did not run)

Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 PM

22,218 posts, read 19,518,798 times
Democrats landed the strongest possible candidate in the state and Blackburn is not that strong of a candidate for the GOP. A month or so ago Republicans were trying to get Corker not to retire in part due to concerns about Blackburn as a candidate. Need to see more polling and how this race develops, but there have been a few polls showing him ahead. This will still be a tough one for the Democrats to pick up, but one that should be watched.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:32 AM

7,191 posts, read 4,781,387 times
I’d say it depends on how many voters have realized how corrupt Blackburn is.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:51 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,566,433 times
Blackburn is "all in" on the Trump agenda and one of his nuttiest supporters. It will be interesting to see how voters feel in 6 months.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:49 AM

956 posts, read 1,209,827 times
A bit worrying for the GOP, but I would not read too much in it now. I want to see more polling and see what the trends are. If Bredesen does win it will not be by double digitals....most likely no more than 3-5 points.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 AM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
A bit worrying for the GOP, but I would not read too much in it now. I want to see more polling and see what the trends are. If Bredesen does win it will not be by double digitals....most likely no more than 3-5 points.
I agree. I think most of the highly contested races everywhere will be won or lost by only a few points.

I've never seen voters more motivated to turn out this year than ever before, especially in the primaries. And I've never seen primaries that were as crowded with candidates as this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections