Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 PM

22,198 posts, read 19,490,239 times

Advertisements

In looking up the Tennessee races, I do not see any early voting for Governor at this point. The Primary is in August. The only thing I see early voting for currently is for various county level offices who have the Primary on May 1st.

In addition if you are talking about a Congresswoman who is running for Governor, I would assume you are referring to Diane Black. Her district is uber safe Republican. It is one of the most Republican districts in the country, Trump won it by 49, so the Democrats have no shot of winning it. Not only that, but she has already announced she will not seek re-election to the House and the Primary for her House seat will be held on the same day as the Primary for Governor and she will only be on the ballot for Governor Primary, she will not be on the ballot for the House Primary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think your odds in Tennessee are better for getting a Democratic senator than a local Democratic House rep this cycle. The district is redder than the state, and the Democratic Senate nominee is a former governor with a history of bipartisanship. The Republican Senate nominee (outgoing rep from another district) seems to be more locked into her partisan corner and would probably be a loyal rubber stamp for the president. Of course, that's exactly what a significant part of the electorate wants these days.
Agreed. The Senate Seat is a pure tossup. Black's open House seat is safer than safe Outside of some major scandal, if we are even talking about Black's House seat flipping or even being competitive on Election Day, it won't even matter as the Democrats would have picked up 150+ seats and that obviously isn't going to happen

Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 PM
JRR

8,168 posts, read 5,677,535 times
I agree that Black's seat should be safe this time. It is rather funny to watch the men running for the Republican nomination, each trying to yell louder than the others on supporting the hot button issues like immigration, repeal Obamacare, building the wall, guns, etc. And the Democrat woman candidate is talking jobs, healthcare, pay inequality, education, etc.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:07 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Getting specific, in the context of Tennessee, I don't think there is any significant chance the candidate you like running for governor would be replaced by a member of the other party in the House. She is representing an extremely red district where the president and Republican party are far more popular than they are nationwide. If you like the candidate, it would make sense to vote for her for governor and then choose whomever you like best in the House race. She may even endorse one of her prospective successors. Regardless, she is not running for re-election to her House seat whether or not her pursuit of becoming governor is successful.

In a more general sense, I don't recall voting against a candidate wanting a promotion to a different role out of concern they would be leaving their current position. Politicians are always replaceable, although sometimes they may have a special appeal to an area that most others in their party are lacking.
I can vote for her for Governor but she is not MY representative (she is not in my district). That would mean I'm only voting against her. It's funny because she keeps airing a TV ad that shows how helpful she is to the President. She's making my point. We need her in the House.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:10 PM

45,466 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I can vote for her for Governor but she is not MY representative (she is not in my district). That would mean I'm only voting against her. It's funny because she keeps airing a TV ad that shows how helpful she is to the President. She's making my point. We need her in the House.
Except she apparently is not running for reelection to her House seat, if I correctly understand a previous post.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I think your odds in Tennessee are better for getting a Democratic senator than a local Democratic House rep this cycle. The district is redder than the state, and the Democratic Senate nominee is a former governor with a history of bipartisanship. The Republican Senate nominee (outgoing rep from another district) seems to be more locked into her partisan corner and would probably be a loyal rubber stamp for the president. Of course, that's exactly what a significant part of the electorate wants these days.
Not voting for Bredesen even though as Governor he criticized Obamacare and it made the National news. It doesn't matter what he did bipartisan-wise. When he gets to DC, they'll pressure him to vote the Democrat party line. Marsha Blackburn should win Corker's seat in the Senate but I do admit Bredesen was liked as a governor.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
In looking up the Tennessee races, I do not see any early voting for Governor at this point. The Primary is in August. The only thing I see early voting for currently is for various county level offices who have the Primary on May 1st.
This is the website I looked at. Since April 11 is a Wednesday, I should have noticed it said "presidential" too.
:

https://www.acelect.com/voter-tools/...g-information/

Early Voting Information

Presidential and Municipal Elections- May 1, 2018

Early Voting begins Wednesday, April 11 and ends Thursday, April 26

Hours:
Mon – Fri: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 pm.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 12 Noon

Early Voting Locations

Clinton Community Center (Clinton)
101 Hicks Street
Clinton, TN 37716
( location map )

Midtown Community Center (Oak Ridge)
Midtown Community Center (Wildcat Den)
102 Robertsville Road
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
( location map )

Anderson Crossing Shopping Center (Norris/Andersonville)
3310 Andersonville Highway
Norris, TN 37705
( location map )

The same Anderson County website on a different page says:

http://orcc.chambermaster.com/events...0-2018-5059065

Name: Early Voting for Anderson County

Date: April 20, 2018

Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM EDT

Event Description:

Early Voting for Anderson County primaries.

Locations vary. Click here to find out where your community is hosting early voting.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,222,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except she apparently is not running for reelection to her House seat, if I correctly understand a previous post.
Yes, she (Diane Black) is only running for governor. That is the only elected office that she will potentially hold after this year's midterms, since running for governor and the House simultaneously was not an option.

The 6th district (where yes, I realize the thread's initial poster isn't located) will have to choose a new representative, and it will almost definitely be another Republican. Democrats could very well take over plenty of districts across the country that have been vacated by Republicans, but this is unlikely to happen in any Tennessee district.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is the website I looked at. Since April 11 is a Wednesday, I should have noticed it said "presidential" too.
:

https://www.acelect.com/voter-tools/...g-information/

Early Voting Information

Presidential and Municipal Elections- May 1, 2018

Early Voting begins Wednesday, April 11 and ends Thursday, April 26

Hours:
Mon – Fri: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 pm.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 12 Noon

Early Voting Locations

Clinton Community Center (Clinton)
101 Hicks Street
Clinton, TN 37716
( location map )

Midtown Community Center (Oak Ridge)
Midtown Community Center (Wildcat Den)
102 Robertsville Road
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
( location map )

Anderson Crossing Shopping Center (Norris/Andersonville)
3310 Andersonville Highway
Norris, TN 37705
( location map )

The same Anderson County website on a different page says:

http://orcc.chambermaster.com/events...0-2018-5059065

Name: Early Voting for Anderson County

Date: April 20, 2018

Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM EDT

Event Description:

Early Voting for Anderson County primaries.
the
2nd
Locations vary. Click here to find out where your community is hosting early voting.

Not sure why it said Presidential, but it is only for the county level offices with the zpromary May 1st, not the statewide, Congressional races, etc.

To the other point as has been mentioned, Black is not running for re-election to her House seat, so you not wanting her to leave the house is a moot, she is leaving regardless of what happens in her race for Governor

Old 04-12-2018, 01:02 PM

I apologize for creating so much confusion. I really thought Diane Black, if she lost, could still run for her Rep seat. I was thinking of Rand Paul running for President and the Senate in 2016, I think.

And I'm still confused as to when early voting for the primaries is in my county. I'm going to be out of state for two weeks and wanted to make sure I early voted no matter what races they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections