Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,246,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The thread title is a quote from a Virginia Republican regarding the possibility of disgraced Chairman and CEO of Massey Energy Company, ex-con Don Blankenship, becoming the GOP nominee in the West Virginia Senate race.

Blankenship has been out of prison for less than a year after serving time for willfully violating safety regulations at his company’s Upper Big Branch Mine, leading to an explosion that killed 29 employees — the worst mining accident in the U.S. in four decades. The safety violations at his mine led to Rolling Stone dubbing him "the dark lord of coal country."

His shocking rise in the polls has Republicans in West Virginia and D.C. worrying he could triumph next month and cost them another winnable race in the fall while embarrassing the state.

The GOP has vowed not to lift a finger to help him if he wins the nomination.

Polluted water for thee, clean water for me. Isn't that the Republican way?

The GOP sure does seem to attract "the best people," at least if you go by our president's definition of the term.

He is rich, breaks laws, don't give a crack about anyone but himself; sounds like the perfect GOP candidate. I can see why the base loves him.

Without knowing anything about his campaign, I am going to guess that he is running on bringing coals jobs back to WV. And there is not another candidate who has the street cred to challenge him on this message, which will resonate with a lot of WV voters.

This guy is a serious candidate. Corrupt, immoral, criminal, and a bad human being - yes; but potentially the GOP nominee and has a legit shot at winning. That says a lot about the state of the Republican party. Sad but true.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM

27,686 posts, read 16,171,854 times
Quote:
No, the GOP doesn't want him to be the nominee, but apparently the Republican voters in West Virginia are giving him a serious look. He is competitive in that race, which should be astounding, but this is the party that also gave us Roy Moore, (who won his primary in spite of how unethical and odious he was), and of course, also gave us Donald Trump, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised by this, either.

So there is no guarantee GOP won't end up with an embarrassing candidate, just like they did in Alabama. And if they do, they have only themselves to blame.
At this rate we could bring up wiener and the gang. All the greats the d’s propped up. “Bicker fest”.. yeah, that about sums it up. Think I’ll go home

Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,705,227 times
We get people like Roy Moore and Blankenship because of the primary process. People more radical (left or right) can win a primary but be "less electable" than other primary contenders. But, when voters show up at the general election in November, they see the (R) and the (D) and that's really the only decision point.

Blankenship could be the scum of the earth. But if he says he supports 2nd Amendment rights and Pro-Life agenda, he has a shot at winning the primary. And then the general election is just a state-wide Trump referendum.

I mean, let's be honest here. The predicted Democratic Blue Wave is really just a Trump Referendum. If the party puts up candidates that aren't too despicable, people will vote for the (D) because of the cause, not because they are the best candidate.

The same thing happened in 2010 in the post-ACA midterms. It was an Obama Referendum and the Republican party cashed in.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:58 AM

7,829 posts, read 4,575,691 times
If you have any interest in learning more about Blankenship there's an excellent book titled "The Price of Justice: A True Story of Greed and Corruption" by Laurence Leamer. It reads like a Grisham novel but it's a true account.

Blankenship is a really horrible human being.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:02 PM

78,542 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
No, the GOP doesn't want him to be the nominee, but apparently the Republican voters in West Virginia are giving him a serious look. He is competitive in that race, which should be astounding, but this is the party that also gave us Roy Moore, (who won his primary in spite of how unethical and odious he was), and of course, also gave us Donald Trump, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised by this, either.

So there is no guarantee GOP won't end up with an embarrassing candidate, just like they did in Alabama. And if they do, they have only themselves to blame.
Sorry, I didn't realize the party you favor had some sort of high-ground in terms of not having any bad candidates etc.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
He is rich, breaks laws, don't give a crack about anyone but himself; sounds like the perfect GOP candidate. I can see why the base loves him.

Without knowing anything about his campaign, I am going to guess that he is running on bringing coals jobs back to WV. And there is not another candidate who has the street cred to challenge him on this message, which will resonate with a lot of WV voters.

This guy is a serious candidate. Corrupt, immoral, criminal, and a bad human being - yes; but potentially the GOP nominee and has a legit shot at winning. That says a lot about the state of the Republican party. Sad but true.

The governor doesn't pay his taxes, only cares about himself and ran on bringing coal jobs back. The (D)'s elected him.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
We get people like Roy Moore and Blankenship because of the primary process. People more radical (left or right) can win a primary but be "less electable" than other primary contenders. But, when voters show up at the general election in November, they see the (R) and the (D) and that's really the only decision point.

Blankenship could be the scum of the earth. But if he says he supports 2nd Amendment rights and Pro-Life agenda, he has a shot at winning the primary. And then the general election is just a state-wide Trump referendum.

I mean, let's be honest here. The predicted Democratic Blue Wave is really just a Trump Referendum. If the party puts up candidates that aren't too despicable, people will vote for the (D) because of the cause, not because they are the best candidate.

The same thing happened in 2010 in the post-ACA midterms. It was an Obama Referendum and the Republican party cashed in.
All three candidates say that.......endlessly.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
Now that Trump has made polluting rivers and exploding mines OK, all those bad things Blankenship did in the past, don't count anymore

Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
Default Have a good laugh at this

The GOP Senate primary race in West VA is going to be a hoot
Read this article and see how stymied the GOP is with the worst guy since Roy Moore to run for a GOP primary
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...blicans-530492
You can forget the Nazi who is on the ballot already in another state--because he didn't have to win the primary

Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The GOP Senate primary race in West VA is going to be a hoot
Read this article and see how stymied the GOP is with the worst guy since Roy Moore to run for a GOP primary
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...blicans-530492
You can forget the Nazi who is on the ballot already in another state--because he didn't have to win the primary
There are 6 running, a couple very good candidates, a couple with no chance and the rest are what they are. I would not call it a hoot but it may get very interesting. Of course the primaries are just about here, so the contest will not go on for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections