Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,135,703 times

Advertisements

The thread title is a quote from a Virginia Republican regarding the possibility of disgraced Chairman and CEO of Massey Energy Company, ex-con Don Blankenship, becoming the GOP nominee in the West Virginia Senate race.

Blankenship has been out of prison for less than a year after serving time for willfully violating safety regulations at his company’s Upper Big Branch Mine, leading to an explosion that killed 29 employees — the worst mining accident in the U.S. in four decades. The safety violations at his mine led to Rolling Stone dubbing him "the dark lord of coal country."

His shocking rise in the polls has Republicans in West Virginia and D.C. worrying he could triumph next month and cost them another winnable race in the fall while embarrassing the state.

The GOP has vowed not to lift a finger to help him if he wins the nomination.

Quote:
A newly minted super-PAC with national GOP ties, Mountain Families, has unleashed a TV campaign attacking Blankenship for poisoning local drinking water with “toxic coal slurry” even as he built a separate water system for his own mansion, the opening salvo in what will likely be a furious effort to keep him from winning the GOP nomination May 8.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/rep...-west-virginia
Polluted water for thee, clean water for me. Isn't that the Republican way?

The GOP sure does seem to attract "the best people," at least if you go by our president's definition of the term.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:32 AM

7,508 posts, read 6,329,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The thread title is a quote from a Virginia Republican regarding the possibility of disgraced Chairman and CEO of Massey Energy Company, ex-con Don Blankenship, becoming the GOP nominee in the West Virginia Senate race.

Blankenship has been out of prison for less than a year after serving time for willfully violating safety regulations at his company’s Upper Big Branch Mine, leading to an explosion that killed 29 employees — the worst mining accident in the U.S. in four decades. The safety violations at his mine led to Rolling Stone dubbing him "the dark lord of coal country."

His shocking rise in the polls has Republicans in West Virginia and D.C. worrying he could triumph next month and cost them another winnable race in the fall while embarrassing the state.

Polluted water for thee, clean water for me. Isn't that the Republican way?

The GOP sure does seem to attract "the best people," at least if you go by our president's definition of the term.
So, you don’t like President Trump, right?

Old 04-17-2018, 10:56 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,165,928 times
It's not about trump.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:00 AM

3,009 posts, read 1,779,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's not about trump.
With libs, its always about Trump

Old 04-17-2018, 11:04 AM

34,297 posts, read 15,749,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's not about trump.
Then why did the OP mention the President ?

She hasn't heard Hillary didn't win is a stretch, but maybe. Yeah....its possible.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:04 AM

79,910 posts, read 44,441,007 times
Anyone can run. It's a safe seat for Joe but yes the GOP is worried Blankenship will win the primary.

I think Jenkins will.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 AM

79,220 posts, read 61,326,926 times
Quote:

So here we have a guy that the GOP doesn't want running.

Yet you use it to make it a blanket attack on all of the GOP. (Interesting logic lol)

Since The democrats have their own closet full of "the best people", all you did here was set up yet one more hypocritical bicker-fest.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,135,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So here we have a guy that the GOP doesn't want running.

Yet you use it to make it a blanket attack on all of the GOP. (Interesting logic lol).
No, the GOP doesn't want him to be the nominee, but apparently the Republican voters in West Virginia are giving him a serious look. He is competitive in that race, which should be astounding, but this is the party that also gave us Roy Moore, (who won his primary in spite of how unethical and odious he was), and of course, also gave us Donald Trump, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised by this, either.

So there is no guarantee GOP won't end up with an embarrassing candidate, just like they did in Alabama. And if they do, they have only themselves to blame.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:24 AM

17,059 posts, read 12,678,699 times
Quote:
No, the GOP doesn't want him to be the nominee, but apparently the Republican voters in West Virginia are giving him a serious look. He is competitive in that race, which should be astounding, but this is the party that also gave us Roy Moore, (who won his primary in spite of how unethical and odious he was), and of course, also gave us Donald Trump, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised by this, either.

So there is no guarantee GOP won't end up with an embarrassing candidate, just like they did in Alabama. And if they do, they have only themselves to blame.
Didnt the allegations on Moore start to get serious play AFTER the primary?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,852,111 times
I guess you could say his campaign is... blowing up! They are experiencing an explosion of support!

I'll show myself out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections