Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:38 AM

31,995 posts, read 27,183,135 times

Advertisements

Poor guy just can't win for trying.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/21/polit...ion/index.html

To be fair in a field of twelve others can see how someone might not get 60% of the vote, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:34 AM

30,709 posts, read 18,362,610 times
I thought that he'd be a good choice for Senate, but now that I continue to hear him criticize President Trump (what is it with these NeverTrump Republicans?) and speak about a willingness to take on the administration (seriously, you'd think he was campaigning for the Dem nomination in NY), I hope he is defeated in the primary.

I also read that Mitt won't commit to backing President Trump in 2020. If he was smart, he'd only speak on his policy positions and stay out of presidential politics. But, just like the NeverTrump Republicans who would have happily seen the country (including the federal judiciary) continue to be run by leftwing Democrats/Hillary, he can't help himself with attacking our president.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
I am not a Romney lover: I think he is arrogant and I have a problem with his total lack to support for the man that is our President but that being said, I don't care what happened in the primaries in Utah, I think it is a good bet to put your money on him in November

Old 04-22-2018, 02:02 PM

900 posts, read 377,316 times
expectations for the Trump government are not good, Romney is a career politician, he can smell the rotten meat coming from Trump, how he can support an unpopular president and who is about to lose his majority, the future for the supporters Trump's not good.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:18 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
expectations for the Trump government are not good, Romney is a career politician, he can smell the rotten meat coming from Trump, how he can support an unpopular president and who is about to lose his majority, the future for the supporters Trump's not good.
...nah...mittens is just a carpetbagger, in the true sense of the word...

Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 PM

30,709 posts, read 18,362,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not a Romney lover: I think he is arrogant and I have a problem with his total lack to support for the man that is our President but that being said, I don't care what happened in the primaries in Utah, I think it is a good bet to put your money on him in November
I don't know enough about Utah politics to agree with you one way or the other regarding Romney's changes. I will point to the 2016 GOP primary, though, where many thought that Jeb was a shoe-in. I knew he was in trouble early on, however, and predicted that he wouldn't get the nomination. Neither money nor family name fame could save Jeb. I wonder how much it'll help Romney.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:25 PM

29,226 posts, read 22,453,297 times
Utah goes its own way quite often. The conservatism there is not the same as it is in other states or parts of the country.

Romney should have expected some stiff competition. Hatch was a Senator for a very long time, and any time there is a senior incumbent who suddenly decides to retire, there are always a big bunch of others who want to take his place.

And these days, being a well-known former official might not be as big an advantage as it once was. Especially in a state that hasn't had political newcomers in a race for a long time. Sometimes it's the new guy who gains all the early attention.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:53 AM

18,088 posts, read 27,540,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Poor guy just can't win for trying.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/21/polit...ion/index.html

To be fair in a field of twelve others can see how someone might not get 60% of the vote, but still...
Romney is such a loser.

Trump literally destroyed him.

Jeb Bush too.

Can't even look at those guys without thinking what a couple of shlemazles they both are.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't know enough about Utah politics to agree with you one way or the other regarding Romney's changes. I will point to the 2016 GOP primary, though, where many thought that Jeb was a shoe-in. I knew he was in trouble early on, however, and predicted that he wouldn't get the nomination. Neither money nor family name fame could save Jeb. I wonder how much it'll help Romney.
Romney is very much different from Bush. I know what you are saying, but it is like comparing apples and oranges. Of course anything can happen. It is still extremely unlikely Romney can be beat. We will know though before long. Probably the biggest downer for Romney is his attitude about Trump. Like Trump not, there will be many who will hesitate supporting a candidate that puts our president down or there could be.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 AM

304 posts, read 160,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Utah goes its own way quite often. The conservatism there is not the same as it is in other states or parts of the country.

Romney should have expected some stiff competition. Hatch was a Senator for a very long time, and any time there is a senior incumbent who suddenly decides to retire, there are always a big bunch of others who want to take his place.

And these days, being a well-known former official might not be as big an advantage as it once was. Especially in a state that hasn't had political newcomers in a race for a long time. Sometimes it's the new guy who gains all the early attention.

In a state like Utah for the foreseeable future if you have an "R" next to your name in a statewide race odds are very strong you will win, and in an place like the senate where there is no term limits (that's for a different discussion) if you are a republican you are basically set for life so no wonder why they get everyone out of the woodwork when there is an opening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections