Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:09 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,857,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My elderly Grandmother who just turned 100 years old pays for an ID every 4 years. With the voter ID law that was passed she would have received it for free the next renewal. It' not much but for her every penny counts. Unfortunately our spineless Governor seeking reelection decided to not appeal it when it was struck down.
Google is your friend and it will tell you how to get a FREE ID. Besides that, don't Democrats say that paying taxes is the price we pay for being part of our society, well so is having an ID and it's cheaper than paying taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 08:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,286,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
again, I wouldn't know. That is a question for the committee members delegated to the task of identifying voter fraud.
I think you are missing the point, if you are not positively identifying voter fraud cannot be detected in many cases. When someone murders someone you know a crime was committed because there is a dead body, with voter fraud there may be no evidence a crime was committed. Even when it may be detectable a thorough investigation may be required.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Google is your friend and it will tell you how to get a FREE ID.
There is no free ID issued by Pennsylvania as the voter ID law was struck down, it's only during the brief period the voter ID law was in force you could obtain a free one. My Grandmother along with everyone else that obtains an ID from PA will have to continue to pay the fee to obtain one when the renewal comes up. Most of those people obtaining a non license ID will be elderly and low income and will not have the benefit of a free one.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:17 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,647,727 times
Quote:
I think you are missing the point, if you are not positively identifying voter fraud cannot be detected in many cases. When someone murders someone you know a crime was committed because there is a dead body, with voter fraud there may be no evidence a crime was committed. Even when it may be detectable a thorough investigation may be required.
I guess I am missing the point as here is the investigation committee along with how they conducted their investigation under the Trump Administration. George W, also had a committee to investigate, which produced similar results. (clerical errors, some people tried to vote twice for Trump, those with felonies tried to vote and yes dead people voted)

If you are saying voter fraud is one of those things that cannot be investigated as there is no evidence of wrong doing ... then tax dollars were then wasted on the efforts, both times, every time, some one was delegated the task.

I did read where the states where not very cooperative with these investigations citing that the federal government was asking for sensitive personal data of the voters.

The commission was tasked with:

" identifying the “rules, policies, activities, strategies, and practices” that both “enhance” and “undermine” the American people’s confidence in the integrity of federal elections. It is also tasked with identifying “vulnerabilities in voting systems… that could lead to improper voter registrations and improper voting, including fraudulent voter registrations and fraudulent voting.” The mission does not mention voter intimidation, suppression, voting technology, or foreign attempts to interfere in elections."
________

In conclusion, it doesn't look like the President(s) agree with your summation of, voter fraud leaves no evidence of a crime.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If you are saying voter fraud is one of those things that cannot be investigated as there is no evidence of wrong doing ...
What I said was "voter fraud cannot be detected in many cases".

Quote:
I did read where the states where not very cooperative with these investigations citing that the federal government was asking for sensitive personal data of the voters.
And on the other hand under Obama's DOJ they were refusing to provide Florida with data on legal immigrants.

Quote:
In conclusion, it doesn't look like the President(s) agree with your summation of, voter fraud leaves no evidence of a crime.
You can only draw that conclusion when you explain how you are going to identify voter fraud without positively identifying the voter. It's not the only thing you need to do but it's the primary thing you need to do.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,870,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Odd that a poster exhorts "WE" to vote in defense of a bill meant to restrict and deter "OTHERS" from doing such. I somehow feel the irony is lost on supporters of this law.
When one needs an identification do damn near anything else in this country, including establish residency, why is this such a hard sell?

Is this a claim that poor people are too stupid to get an ID?

Oh, you mean the people who don't have a birth certificate? There's a process for those people, the small amount of them, so they can get an ID.

Why wouldn't you want the elections to be on the up-and-up? No one wants to hear about potential voter fraud, right? We had "meddling" in the last one. Fraud would just be horrible.

Please tell the class who is being turned away from the polls?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,870,869 times
Quote:

You can only draw that conclusion when you explain how you are going to identify voter fraud without positively identifying the voter. It's not the only thing you need to do but it's the primary thing you need to do.

Don't you just have the poll workers cross a name off the list? Same name shows up twice, fraud. Dead guy votes? Fraud.

Obviously this will require a board of elections to clean up voter rolls on a regular basis. Somehow I get the feeling this might be too much work.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:36 PM

3,121 posts, read 1,591,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
When one needs an identification do damn near anything else in this country, including establish residency, why is this such a hard sell?

Is this a claim that poor people are too stupid to get an ID?

Oh, you mean the people who don't have a birth certificate? There's a process for those people, the small amount of them, so they can get an ID.

Why wouldn't you want the elections to be on the up-and-up? No one wants to hear about potential voter fraud, right? We had "meddling" in the last one. Fraud would just be horrible.

Please tell the class who is being turned away from the polls?
You dont need an ID for most of the activities of daily living. As I said in another thread, I havent shown an ID in many a yr. Theres no reason to unless you fly. If you have lived in an area for a long time, showing an ID isnt necessary. You dont need one to pay your taxes, license the dog, use a credit card/debit card, use an atm,go to the ER, vote, etc etc etc.
ID laws are all about voter suppression.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:52 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,857,872 times
Quote:
There is no free ID issued by Pennsylvania as the voter ID law was struck down, it's only during the brief period the voter ID law was in force you could obtain a free one. My Grandmother along with everyone else that obtains an ID from PA will have to continue to pay the fee to obtain one when the renewal comes up. Most of those people obtaining a non license ID will be elderly and low income and will not have the benefit of a free one.
PennDOT to issue free ID cards at driver licensing centers
Aug 27, 2012
Starting statewide Tuesday, PennDOT will issue free photo ID cards at driver licensing centers to prepare for the Pennsylvania Voter ID law, which takes effect in the November general election, according to a release from PennDOT. PennDOT said that since the law was enacted in March, it has been working closely with the Department of State to ensure that every voter has the opportunity to obtain photo identification.

http://cumberlink.com/news/local/pen...9bb2963f4.html

Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 PM

15,699 posts, read 10,494,264 times
the citizens in Canada and mexico have to show an ID to vote.

I don't understand those who continue make voter ID a racial issue. do they consider the government of mexico racist against its own citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections