Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 02:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,936,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
* Reengage internationally, to the maximum extent possible, as unfortunately such matters are overwhelmingly the prerogative of the Executive Branch.

* Similarly to the above, make maximal efforts towards free-trade: no tariffs, and reengage in international trade-agreements.

* Kill all efforts/funding at building "the wall".

* Path to citizenship for DACA immigrants. Some form of amnesty for "illegals" in general.

* Path towards national single-payer healthcare, modeled after the British NHS.

* Strengthen the Department of Education, to move control over public schools from local/state levels, to the federal level.

Notice that I said nothing about LGBTQ issues, abortion, guns or taxes.
Exactly why they WON'T win in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 02:55 PM

13,664 posts, read 9,736,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yikes.
This is exactly why I WONT be voting democrat.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Exactly why they WON'T win in 2018.
Comments appreciated (sincerely). I wrote my posting not as some idle fantasy - though admittedly the chances of Democrats sweeping Congress in 2018 aren't exactly spectacular - but to illustrate the real divisions that we face. Those divisions are not, this time, on the shopworn wedge issues, such as guns, or global warming. While real, and ultimately important, those do not command the cultural primacy that swept in the Trump wave. Instead, the new "wedge issues" are immigration, healthcare and nationalism. These new issues aren't really those of shrill protestors on the Left, and this is why they are serious issues to occupy centrists on both sides.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:31 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
* Reengage internationally, to the maximum extent possible, as unfortunately such matters are overwhelmingly the prerogative of the Executive Branch.

* Similarly to the above, make maximal efforts towards free-trade: no tariffs, and reengage in international trade-agreements.

* Kill all efforts/funding at building "the wall".

* Path to citizenship for DACA immigrants. Some form of amnesty for "illegals" in general.

* Path towards national single-payer healthcare, modeled after the British NHS.

* Strengthen the Department of Education, to move control over public schools from local/state levels, to the federal level.

Notice that I said nothing about LGBTQ issues, abortion, guns or taxes.
This seems about right. Going forward, Democrats are going to pursue a more progressive agenda. To your list, I’d add a significantly higher federal minimum wage - if not 15 dollars an hour then something close and probably seriously subsidized higher education. I think we’re going to see Democrats go further left and Republicans continue to go further right.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:34 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,453,620 times
I don’t want them to win congress in 2018.

If they do, I’d want them to seek common ground with Trump. Probably the only thing they could agree on would be infrastructure.

But they would likely pursue a far left agenda of single payer healthcare and a national $15 an hour minimum wage.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:48 PM

13,664 posts, read 9,736,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This seems about right. Going forward, Democrats are going to pursue a more progressive agenda. To your list, I’d add a significantly higher federal minimum wage - if not 15 dollars an hour then something close and probably seriously subsidized higher education. I think we’re going to see Democrats go further left and Republicans continue to go further right.
Perhaps. With the exception of the healthcare issue, I was careful to avoid Bernie Sanders type of financial issues. My list was intended to appeal to centrist Republicans - if such a type still exists. These are (were) the pro-business sort, who think that a more internationalist and pro-immigrant stance is better for business. Unfortunately this type of Republican seems to be extinct.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If Democrats win the House and Senate in November, what agenda would you like to see them pursue?
-Remove marijuana from DEA Schedule I

-Peg capital gains tax to income tax rather than having one flat number like now

-Remove cap on SS contributions

-Create a true single payer healthcare system (not Obamacare or anything similar)

-Defund the wall

-Layoff 90% of the military and close all our overseas bases

-Pull out of every ongoing conflict

Old 04-29-2018, 06:02 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don’t want them to win congress in 2018.

If they do, I’d want them to seek common ground with Trump. Probably the only thing they could agree on would be infrastructure.

But they would likely pursue a far left agenda of single payer healthcare and a national $15 an hour minimum wage.
Oh, you mean like McConnell and Boehner/Cantor/Ryan sought common ground with Obama?

And what's wrong with single payer healthcare? I realize the current system is the bees knees if you make $250k/year or more, but that is literally 1% of the US population. The other 99% of us need a system that works for us (and it ain't the current one)

Old 04-29-2018, 06:27 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Perhaps. With the exception of the healthcare issue, I was careful to avoid Bernie Sanders type of financial issues. My list was intended to appeal to centrist Republicans - if such a type still exists. These are (were) the pro-business sort, who think that a more internationalist and pro-immigrant stance is better for business. Unfortunately this type of Republican seems to be extinct.
These folks are still out there, but unfortunately they’re becoming people without a country. The Republicans are becoming increasing mired in Trumpian nonsense and the centrist Clintonian wing of the Democratic Party is weakening as well. Where do these “adults in the room” turn?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 PM

245 posts, read 132,841 times
I'm definitely voting straight D in 2018 what I want to see

*Some kind of white punishment, like British style grooming gangs and more truck style attacks that mostly kill infidels, this is needed for the good of diversity, the white racists need to realize that at the end of the day we all bleed red and what better way to celebrate that then for us to bleed together on a bridge or a sidewalk

*Promote Transgenderism more, 10 year old boys should look up to Caitlyn Jenner and drop this awful toxic masculinity

*Amnesty for all 30 million Illegal Immigrants, and raise legal immigration levels from 1.2 million a year to 36 million to start, with a gradual increase each year after that

*Guns for criminals only, full gun ban but only for law abiding citizens

*Abortions should be made available up until 1 minute before birth

Old 04-29-2018, 08:26 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,177,250 times
Democrat agenda should be bread-and-butter for the middle class:

1. Begin a shift towards affordable universal healthcare (Medicare For All). It's too disruptive to do it all at once, so I favor an incremental approach. Begin by dropping the Medicare age from 65 down to 50. This will move higher risk patients out of private insurance, so younger people will see their premiums drop too. Make government assistance available to help pay for Medi-gap insurance for low income people.

2. Affordable, debt-free college for those who are academically qualified.

3. Get people off of welfare and food stamps -- by raising the minimum wage high enough that no working person qualifies for government assistance and they can support themselves. Taxpayers will save billions if we do this, and it will stimulate the economy.

4. Stop being anti-science. Make America a leader in science and technology again. Yes, that means embracing climate change as a fact and start doing something about it.

5. Invest Heavily in Infrastructure. Fix our water plants, sewage plants, airports, bridges -- and have the guts to raise taxes to pay for it. Private business cannot succeed without a solid, healthy public infrastructure.

6. Make the tax cuts for the middle class permanent and the tax cuts for the wealthy temporary.

7. Raise the Social Security cap. Make Social Security solvent for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections