Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For the last 8 years the republican agenda was attack Obama, what goes around comes around.
Of course both sides are always going to attack the other but you have to admit, never has there been a president that has been attacked like Trump. He ran as an outsider, one with different ideas and he is carrying through with his ideas. The dems absolutely hate his attempt at making real change plus hate his personality; Wouldn't even you agree with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 06:17 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

-Layoff 90% of the military and close all our overseas bases
Good god, please tell me you're kidding.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 AM

13,664 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course both sides are always going to attack the other but you have to admit, never has there been a president that has been attacked like Trump. He ran as an outsider, one with different ideas and he is carrying through with his ideas. The dems absolutely hate his attempt at making real change plus hate his personality; Wouldn't even you agree with this?
Yes, I could be cajoled into agreeing with this. But let me try with an analogy:

Suppose that I’m an amateur runner, having run for several decades, but now plateauing. I may be motivated to keep fit, but age and general decrepitude are frustrating me. I’ve had a string of coaches, offering bromides like “train harder”, or “watch what you eat”. So, I diet, and go for a run every other day… but my 5K time refuses to decline. In fact, it keeps creeping up. Well, along comes a fellow who’s had no coaching-experience… but he’s voluble, engaging and brash. He tells me that prior coaches were all corrupt, held in thrall by the coaching industry. There’s no reason why my 5K time can’t be as low as it was 20 years ago, or even lower. All that I need to do, is to quit wasting time on foolishness, like running around the neighborhood, or going to the gym. And that whole dieting-thing? Nonsense! Instead, I ought to plop my posterior on the couch, watch TV programs about runners, and eat potato-chips. I’ll be fitter than ever, in no time! And those other coaches, whose advice I’ve been following for decades – well, clearly it’s not working, so what could they possibly know?

What ought I to make of such a coach? Yes, he’s an outsider. He’s different, with bold ideas. But his ideas are flagrantly stupid. They’re anti-solutions, turning stasis and frustration into disaster. Maybe my prior efforts at running were less than spectacularly satisfying, but at least they kept me competitive. And now?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,224,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If Democrats win the House and Senate in November, what agenda would you like to see them pursue?
They really will not be able to pursue any real agenda because their Senate margin would be razor thin and they do not hold the Presidency. FWIW- if they win the house and maintain minority status in the Senate I think that would pretty much be a sign people wanted to blunt Trump as opposed to wanting the D agenda.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,705,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For the last 8 years the republican agenda was attack Obama, what goes around comes around.
But it shouldn't. However, it works and that's why Republicans did it for 8 years and Democrats will do it now.

It works because Americans are mostly simpletons (but not my esteemed CD posters) and people tend to have a "my team must win" mentality.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 AM

13,664 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
It works because Americans are mostly simpletons (but not my esteemed CD posters) and people tend to have a "my team must win" mentality.
Even if people aren't simpletons, the tribal "my team must win" feeling has become rabidly intense. But this I don't even mean party-affiliation, but the group-identity of factions within parties. This is especially true, if factions coalesce around an animating personality. For perhaps opposite reasons, Obama and Trump are both animating personalities.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM
JRR

8,168 posts, read 5,677,535 times
Quote:
Just my opinion, but it seems like Trump has put a neon blinking "Kick Me" sign on his back with his actions. Then he has become a master at playing the victim for being kicked. He and his loyal followers seem to revel in this scenario.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,635,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Good god, please tell me you're kidding.
Actually I'm not. Prior to the end of World War II, we didn't have a huge standing imperial Army like we do now; and we should go back to that

Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Just my opinion, but it seems like Trump has put a neon blinking "Kick Me" sign on his back with his actions. Then he has become a master at playing the victim for being kicked. He and his loyal followers seem to revel in this scenario.
As for asking to be kicked in the you know what, I do somewhat agree with you on that. A lot of what he gets he asked for. Still the Dems and more even the MSM has totally gone overboard. They will find one thing on top of another to gripe about or try to make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to him.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:00 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,093,496 times
Quote:
As for asking to be kicked in the you know what, I do somewhat agree with you on that. A lot of what he gets he asked for. Still the Dems and more even the MSM has totally gone overboard. They will find one thing on top of another to gripe about or try to make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to him.
Trump is the ultimate reality TV con artist and showman. He lives for attention and publicity, and he courts it constantly, making sure he is always kept front and center in the news day after day after day all by himself with his inane tweeting. If he kept a lower profile, put his head down, and simply went about the work of governing like his predecessors did, he wouldn't give his opposition so much to work with.

Don't blame the media for giving Trump the attention he begs for and openly courts. It's what he lives for. And he, and his supporters, therefore, cannot complain when he gets exactly what he asks for and it paints him in an unfavorable light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections