Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,705,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The Dem advantage is once again declining in the generic congressional ballot average of polls: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...vote-6185.html

Its down over 2 points from last week. And is down even more if you remove the outlier Quinnipiac poll having them up by 12 from July 23 . . . note, that poll will be dropped from the average as time goes by.
There's been 7 other more recent polls that resulted in:
Dem+5, +9, +6, +5, +1, +7, +6

Honestly, seeing a decline in 2017 to 2018 is pretty natural. In 2017, the polling is done essentially with everyone's "ideal candidate." Now that we are in 2018, these candidates all have real names, real faults, etc. They are no longer ideal candidates but they are the best (or worst?) of what we have to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
There's been 7 other more recent polls that resulted in:
Dem+5, +9, +6, +5, +1, +7, +6

Honestly, seeing a decline in 2017 to 2018 is pretty natural. In 2017, the polling is done essentially with everyone's "ideal candidate." Now that we are in 2018, these candidates all have real names, real faults, etc. They are no longer ideal candidates but they are the best (or worst?) of what we have to work with.
I may agree that its somewhat natural, but it definitely doesn't point to some sure Dem control of the House. Honestly, I hope the media keeps pushing the narrative, though, as I feel it'll lead some on the left to become complacent.

Note, I don't doubt that Democrats are more motivated than Republicans are going into the midterms. And I don't doubt that this extra motivation will result in some advantages for the Dems. What I disagree with many on, however, is the extent. While Dems enthusiasm has seen low turnout special elections be close, I'm not convinced (far from it, actually) that this enthusiasm will be enough to counter the strong Republican tilts of these districts when GOP turnout returns to its normal strength during the actual midterm cycle. Time will tell, of course, but I think many a news anchor and activist will have egg on their faces (again) come November.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM

22,198 posts, read 19,490,239 times
Quote:
I may agree that its somewhat natural, but it definitely doesn't point to some sure Dem control of the House. Honestly, I hope the media keeps pushing the narrative, though, as I feel it'll lead some on the left to become complacent.

Note, I don't doubt that Democrats are more motivated than Republicans are going into the midterms. And I don't doubt that this extra motivation will result in some advantages for the Dems. What I disagree with many on, however, is the extent. While Dems enthusiasm has seen low turnout special elections be close, I'm not convinced (far from it, actually) that this enthusiasm will be enough to counter the strong Republican tilts of these districts when GOP turnout returns to its normal strength during the actual midterm cycle. Time will tell, of course, but I think many a news anchor and activist will have egg on their faces (again) come November.
That might be true to an extent, but keep in mind the districts we have had these special elections in have been in traditionally very Republican districts. Control of the House is not going to be determined by who wins a district like OH-12 in which has been solidly Republican and Trump and Romney both won by 11 points.

Control of the House is generally going to come down to results in districts Republicans hold that Trump lost in or won fairly narrowly in.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
That might be true to an extent, but keep in mind the districts we have had these special elections in have been in traditionally very Republican districts. Control of the House is not going to be determined by who wins a district like OH-12 in which has been solidly Republican and Trump and Romney both won by 11 points.

Control of the House is generally going to come down to results in districts Republicans hold that Trump lost in or won fairly narrowly in.
Even in those districts, though, the GOP is batting pretty well during these special elections (I'm thinking Tom Price's old district in Georgia, etc.). We shall see, though. I'm always excited during election time.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:16 AM

22,198 posts, read 19,490,239 times
Quote:
Even in those districts, though, the GOP is batting pretty well during these special elections (I'm thinking Tom Price's old district in Georgia, etc.). We shall see, though. I'm always excited during election time.
Price's district was close in the 2016 Presidential race, but was a traditionally very Republican district and still is down ballot. Romney won the district by 21 points. There really hasn't been a special election in a swing district.

One thing we have seen is the suburban areas continue to swing towards the Democrats (this is probably most visible in the suburban/rural hybird districts like OH-12 & PA-18) which could potentially cause issues for the GOP in the fall in suburban districts that weren't stretched out to the rural areas the way those two were.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Price's district was close in the 2016 Presidential race, but was a traditionally very Republican district and still is down ballot. Romney won the district by 21 points. There really hasn't been a special election in a swing district.

One thing we have seen is the suburban areas continue to swing towards the Democrats (this is probably most visible in the suburban/rural hybird districts like OH-12 & PA-18) which could potentially cause issues for the GOP in the fall in suburban districts that weren't stretched out to the rural areas the way those two were.
This was a swing district per the 2016 election, which was largely the result of Trump's popularity. That was the baseline. I'd imagine that if folks were so upset with Trump in a district that he barely won, the Dem candidate should've done better (i.e. won), especially with talk of a blue wave coming. But the special election in that race seemed to have excited voters on both sides of the aisle (note, including many traditionally leaning conservative voters who shunned Trump in 2016), which is why (I suspect) the Dems did not win; their enthusiasm was not unchecked. Who knows, though.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The Dem advantage is once again declining in the generic congressional ballot average of polls: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...vote-6185.html

Its down over 2 points from last week. And is down even more if you remove the outlier Quinnipiac poll having them up by 12 from July 23 . . . note, that poll will be dropped from the average as time goes by.
As I predicted: once that ridiculous outlier of a poll showing a 12 point Dem advantage was removed from the generic ballot average due to being outdated, the Dem average has further declined, this time to 3.9%: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...vote-6185.html

Very interesting to continue watching developments. While nothing is set in stone and a lot can still happen, something tells me that the left and MSM are going to be having another meltdown this November.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:18 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,535,603 times
Down to Dems +3.9.

And there are two polls showing Democrats +7 that are almost ready to drop off, which will lower it some more.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...vote-6185.html

So much for the "Blue wave". More like a blue puddle of spit.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,286,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Reuters Polling

by 6%!

wow. what a flip. this reuters poll was as of 5/20/2018.
August 5. More flipping.

Reuters Polling

Old 08-12-2018, 11:00 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,224,555 times
Quote:
Tom Price's old district should have a heavy Republican lean. Handel winning by less than 4% is a win but it also shows that Republicans have an uphill climb. If all the suburban races show the swing in votes from R to D that we saw with Handle, Balderson and Conor Lamb that will be a big problem for Republicans. Its the equivalent of Hilary 'only' losing a couple of percentage points from Obama's totals. Those couple of percent put WI, MI and PA in the R column. If the trend continues for house races Ds will not win solid R districts but they will be able to take enough swing and slightly R districts to put together a House Majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections