Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 02:27 PM

3,232 posts, read 2,270,284 times

Advertisements

The most liberal predominantly white part of metro Atlanta would likely be a little northeast of downtown, around the gentrified parts of Midtown, Emory University and the city of Decatur. These are not very racially homogeneous areas, however, and the liberalism in this metro is generally more low key than in places like the major West Coast cities. The closer-in white majority parts of the metro are overwhelmingly very well educated, and most likely just about any other Republican would have performed better than Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 02:50 PM

915 posts, read 1,516,302 times
Well, the blue areas in Michigan are Ann Arbor and Lansing, Kalamazoo and Marquette respectively.

And Ann Arbor considers it an insult to be considered part of the Detroit Metro.

I think you have to rethink the list.

I'm not saying that there aren't white liberals in Metro Detroit, but white liberals in metro Detroit and Ann
Arbor are different breeds of white liberal.

A lot of the white liberal union workers in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties went for Trump, not Hillary (which is why he won the state....barely).

White intellectuals in Ann Arbor didn't vote for Trump, which is why Ann Arbor is solid blue.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 PM

94,560 posts, read 125,629,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Well, the blue areas in Michigan are Ann Arbor and Lansing, Kalamazoo and Marquette respectively.

And Ann Arbor considers it an insult to be considered part of the Detroit Metro.

I think you have to rethink the list.

I'm not saying that there aren't white liberals in Metro Detroit, but white liberals in metro Detroit and Ann
Arbor are different breeds of white liberal.

A lot of the white liberal union workers in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties went for Trump, not Hillary (which is why he won the state....barely).

White intellectuals in Ann Arbor didn't vote for Trump, which is why Ann Arbor is solid blue.
I’d say that some of the Woodward Corridor suburbs(parts of the Ferndale SD, Royal Oak, Oak Park) and perhaps the Farmingtons, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham and the Plymouth/Canton area are the only parts of Metro Detroit that would/could fit.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,295,280 times
I think the Denver metro probably belongs on your list as well. Maybe in your “Tier 3”

Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 PM

6,933 posts, read 4,402,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
That's a good point regarding the connection of people to the department of defense.

As far as a liberal 'vibe', how do you think Arlington compares to West LA outside of Santa Monica?

The whole metro tends to have good schools at the K-12 level and is as such family-friendly. Much of the Silicon Valley is like this.

Arlington/Alexandria seem to me about as liberal as San Mateo County, CA with people in Arlington/Alexandria focusing more on immigration issues while people in San Mateo County focusing more on environmental issues and LGBT causes.

Montgomery County, MD seems to be about as liberal as the Silicon Valley (Santa Clara County, CA), but probably less liberal than San Mateo or Marin. Fairfax County seems to be about as liberal as Contra Costa county, CA (all of this when only considering the white population).

The white community in DC always struck me as similar to the white community in Manhattan (WASP/Jewish, very liberal, but not at all the type of Green liberalism found on the west coast; DC/Manhattan liberals seem to have more focus on economic issues, immigration issues and some social issues with economic consequences such as low-income housing or gentrification).

I don't know all these other areas all that well. I mostly know D.C. and L.A. and I would be shocked if someone said the D.C. area was more liberal than L.A.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:08 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,141,411 times
This one's better:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections