Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If his politics aligned with mine, sure, why not? I'd be shocked if his politics did align with mine, though, so I doubt it would ever happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
If his ideas aligned with mine (conservative), then yes. However, IIRC his politics do not align with mine, so no.

i agree. if his politics overall align with where i think the country should go, then i would have no problem voting for him. if not then he doesnt get my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 02:33 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,636,432 times
A man with no political experience?
Some of you nearly crucified Obama for that !

Old 05-31-2018, 05:37 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,849,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Absolutely not. No more celebrity politicians. I don't care if they are right, left, or in the middle, no celebrities. Acting is not an occupation that prepares someone to lead a nation with a complex economy and legal system.
Ronald Reagan did ok. He was president of the actors guild. The only crummy thing I thought he did was fire all the air traffic controllers; that was crazy.

Sad he got Alzheimers' but Nancy backed him up. Reagan was an intelligent man and he had morals. Don't judge all people's former jobs by Trump. Trump should have been vetted. If Americans have learned anything this time around, it should be that we don't jump on anyone's bandwagon, because they are "different."

Different is not always better.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
We now have had two Presidents who came out of the entertainment industry: Reagan and Trump.
Interesting that both were Democrats that changed to Republican.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
I'll never vote for a complete novice who has never held any political office before.

Politics is a skill as much as any other, and it requires experience and practice to be done well. Those can only come from serving in an office that's less critically important to the nation and the world as President of the United States.

I don't care much what the prior experience is; a city council member, a county commissioner, a state Representative or Senator, or a Governor all learn the same procedures that make a government run, and they all learn the limits of their office along with the levers that are allowed in political power. All that is the same at all levels of our democracy.

And only experience gives any Presidential candidate the wisdom of who to listen to and who to ignore. Experience gives a candidate the knowledge of when to let it ride, when to fold, and when to push the bet.

Many other, lesser offices allow a novice to make mistakes that aren't calamitous. The Presidency does not give any allowance of all. Any mistake can be a calamity, but experience allows most calamities to be avoided.

So if The Rock wants the job, he had better be willing to serve an apprenticeship and learn a little about it first. If he does that, then he seems to be a pretty level-headed guy, so I would be willing to take a look at him as a Presidential possibility, but not until he has some hands-on experience first.

Reagan may have been a movie star, but he was also once a Governor. That experience made him bonafide, not his movie roles.

Now, 30 years later, we are all experiencing the outcome of the scripted roles being more important than the bonafides. The lesson is; the Presidency doesn't ever come with a script.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
A man with no political experience?
Some of you nearly crucified Obama for that !

no we went after obama on his lack of EXECUTIVE experience.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:34 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
If it was between him and Trump I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

Plus would be nice to look at his fine self for at least 4 years on TV giving speeches. I'd watch more press conferences with him as president

Old 05-31-2018, 09:41 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,294,435 times
I love The Rock. Loved him in WWE, love him in movies.

I wouldn't cast a stone Dwayne's way in an election though. Some legitimate political experience is necessary as POTUS. Maybe not a career politician, but someone with knowledge. I personally don't think he is qualified at this time to become president. Trump was far more qualified when he threw his name in the hat.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:03 PM

16,641 posts, read 8,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Reagan was an actor of course, but he also was President of a Union (elected twice). The primary function of any union is negotiation of contracts, a skill that served him well as POTUS. He also honed his political knowledge by touring and doing speaking for GE. Then of course was California governor for 8 years.

By most accounts he was a successful president. He's currently ranked 9th (of 45 presidents) on the CSPAN survey of historians. I would actually rank him a little higher, but in any case top 20 percentile is pretty good.

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurv.../?page=overall
That survey is worthless since it has Obama at #12 instead of near the bottom.

As to Johnson, give me a break. You need to have accomplished something, and merely being an actor and a friendly guy hardly qualifies.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:30 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,674,826 times
If he's serious, he'll run for Congress first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections