Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

Democrats have targeted 10 GOP-held seats in california, including seven won by Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election. California has as many potential pickup districts as seven other states with primaries on Tuesday combined.

should be an interesting day for political junkies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 06:59 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
The other thing to mention is that the Dems have a glut of candidates in the most important house races. In CA, the top two vote getters progress from primary to general election regardless of party. If those candidates split the Democratic/progressive vote too evenly its possible Democrat hopes for November are tempered by midnight tonight. The other problem for Dems will be that Rs are simply better at actually showing up to vote.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:08 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Read a great article on this the other day.

Basically a lot of new candidates, especially from further left, are angry at the DNC over cheating Sanders and the overall direction of the party.

They're not folding to the usual bribing\bullying to drop out of the race and support the "mainstream" demopublican.

Good for them. Looks like the democrats are starting to face a bit of the same voter unrest that the republicans did and I for one think that the old guard in both parties needs some shaking up from time to time.

But just remember, Hillary 2020, Pelosi and their tight allies are the ones with the deep pocket donors, corporations etc. so they still wield immense power.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Basically a lot of new candidates, especially from further left, are angry at the DNC over cheating Sanders and the overall direction of the party.

They're not folding to the usual bribing\bullying to drop out of the race and support the "mainstream" demopublican.
Sanders wasn't cheated. He had not organized well enough in Southern states to maintain any momentum out of his near win in Iowa and routing Clinton in NH. I voted for him in SC's first in the South primary but one huge problem is that he was too easily pigeon holed in terms of policy. I think he could have won a general election based on drawing in some new voters but he never seemed to play the correct hand in the primaries.

If some Dems want to go for ideological purity in those jungle primaries they will suffer the same fate they did in 2016 when non-voters tipped the election to Trump. The other problem is that even among 'outsiders' there are too many candidates dividing votes- so they are basically handing them over to more establishment Dems or Republicans.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:32 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Sanders wasn't cheated.
Not everything is binary.

I'd say "Sanders wasn't given his fair shake." Clinton pretty much "owned" the DNC. She allegedly paid off their debt and made the DNC reliant on her for funding. It pretty much made the DNC no longer impartial. To be fair, I doubt the RNC was impartial either, but Trump overcame that.

Much of the Democratic primary system is designed (before Sanders even ran) to make it an uphill battle for those considered less desirable by the party leaders. The primary is not about getting what the people want. It is more about the party telling people what the people want.

We see it all the time. Both the DNC and RNC can pressure down-ballot candidates to drop out by withholding support or promising funding for a later candidacy. In many primaries, (like in SC) the winner of the primary is the winner of the general.

The thing I don't like about the Democratic primary is the superdelegates. They give the party too much weight in this process. In the last presidential primary, 13% of the delegates were "unpledged delegates." And they are allowed to report them to show a "favorite" from before the first primary vote is cast.

I think the DNC has to be awfully careful this time around not to anoint a winner and not to show favoritism within the DNC itself. It is still early to talk about 2020, but whomever does wind up running, if the DNC wants support from their own base, they can't do what they pulled in 2016.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Sanders wasn't cheated.
Wow. You have missed out on some seriously big news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e51b710233a4

Old 06-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

I'd say "Sanders wasn't given his fair shake." Clinton pretty much "owned" the DNC. She allegedly paid off their debt and made the DNC reliant on her for funding. It pretty much made the DNC no longer impartial. To be fair, I doubt the RNC was impartial either, but Trump overcame that.

Much of the Democratic primary system is designed (before Sanders even ran) to make it an uphill battle for those considered less desirable by the party leaders. The primary is not about getting what the people want. It is more about the party telling people what the people want.

We see it all the time. Both the DNC and RNC can pressure down-ballot candidates to drop out by withholding support or promising funding for a later candidacy. In many primaries, (like in SC) the winner of the primary is the winner of the general.

The thing I don't like about the Democratic primary is the superdelegates. They give the party too much weight in this process. In the last presidential primary, 13% of the delegates were "unpledged delegates." And they are allowed to report them to show a "favorite" from before the first primary vote is cast.

I think the DNC has to be awfully careful this time around not to anoint a winner and not to show favoritism within the DNC itself. It is still early to talk about 2020, but whomever does wind up running, if the DNC wants support from their own base, they can't do what they pulled in 2016.
Hillary 2020 still owns the DNC. Buckle up, I'm expecting her to not go away quietly like some people think.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Watch Cali closely tonight. If the glut of D candidates in CD’s carried by Hillary Clinton results in 2 R candidates advancing to the General Election in multiple winnable districts, D chances of taking the House dip considerably. Democrats need to pick up seats in California and Pennsylvania to have a legitimate shot at taking the gavel. There are 53 D candidates in hotly contested House races to only 38 R.

https://apnews.com/3b39f3a9a77644948...-matchups-form

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-both-parties/

Last edited by Bureaucat; 06-05-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

I think the fist part of this is a very fair assessment. I actually think Obama and many of the former DNC leaders are more to blame for that than Clinton. She was basically handed a salvage job. I think her propensity for closed door meetings, secrecy and only dealing with top of the ledger type people exacerbated the perception that she was dealing in backroom promises/shenanigans.

Ironically the super delegate system was meant in part to help diversity the field and provide more incentive for folks to trudge into more places. Which is the exact opposite of what happened in 2016.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Watch Cali closely tonight. If the glut of D candidates in CD’s carried by Hillary Clinton results in 2 R candidates advancing to the General Election in multiple winnable districts, D chances of taking the House dip considerably. Democrats need to pick up seats in California and Pennsylvania to have a legitimate shot at taking the gavel. There are 53 D candidates in hotly contested House races to only 38 R.

https://apnews.com/3b39f3a9a77644948...-matchups-form

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-both-parties/

That Five Thirty Eight article is pretty informative. I had not given any thought to Rs being locked out of the statewide races and how that might impact November turnout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections