Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times

Advertisements

If you want to be the queen then you have to beat the queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 03:45 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
At 84, both Feinstein and Hatch have greater mental acuity than 71 year old Donald Trump.
Yup. But I don't trust that acuity's lasting abilities at all. Once any person turns 80, mental acuity becomes a lot more fragile oftentimes than it once was, and a small stroke might not incapacitate an office holder, but it can raise hell with their brain in many areas that are critical to leadership.

I clearly remember Strom Thurmond's condition in his last days in the Senate. The man was clearly senile in his speech and thought, but proud as punch of his ability to walk without the aid of a cane or walker. He could no longer speak to a reporter about an important bill in his committee, but he could sure brag about his ability to walk. (Though he ignored the aide who was constantly at one elbow, just in case he stumbled.)

When a man is that old and far gone, he's not being of any more service to his state or his nation.

I fully understand the affection and respect his voters had for him, but I think he was rewarded one too many times for his past when they elected him in his present.

The time comes for us all to hang up our past and begin leading the rest of our lives one day at a time. If an old politician refuses to retire, it must be the responsibility of his voters to retire him.

It is even a greater imperative that the most elderly must step down from their committee chairmanships. They can remain as committee members, but the work the committees do is far too important to ever allow a chairman who spends most of his time dozing and out of it to be it's leader.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:35 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Most people dont care about the age of their own Governor, Senator, Representative. That attack is always used on the opponent, not the candidate you support.

That being said, I see no mental capacity problems with Sen. Feinstein. While I would love some new blood in the Democratic Party, this isnt a John McCain type situation where he is clearly losing a step(medical reasons) and should probably step down.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 PM

3,169 posts, read 2,222,857 times
In the unlikely event Joe Arpaio is elected to the Senate from Arizona, he would replace Feinstein as the oldest senator as he will be 86. I wouldn't count on him getting elected given he was defeated resoundingly in his last re-election as sheriff, but you never know ... maybe Trump will push for him to get a loyal ally in Congress. After all, Arpaio must be indebted to the president after receiving his generously bestowed pardon, and Trump does value loyalty.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Both will be 90 (Feinstein turns 85 before the end of the month, so she'll be 91) by the end of their next terms. This is madness - - people complain about Congress endlessly and yet the same tired senators are voted in over and over and over again.
I agree it seems like madness and I always wonder why these politicians do not retire, but I will say one thing about Feinstein, she has done a good job all these years and I am a staunch Republican. I do have to wonder why these senators don't retire. I would think they would like to spend a few years just relaxing.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
At 84, both Feinstein and Hatch have greater mental acuity than 71 year old Donald Trump.
that is opinion sir and nothing more.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
At 88 my mother does as well.

That said, there is something to be said for retiring and letting the next generation step up. When you hit your mid '80s I think that time has come.
I tend to agree. At some point - it's time to step aside for new voices and ideas.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:55 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,224,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I clearly remember Strom Thurmond's condition in his last days in the Senate. The man was clearly senile in his speech and thought, but proud as punch of his ability to walk without the aid of a cane or walker. He could no longer speak to a reporter about an important bill in his committee, but he could sure brag about his ability to walk. (Though he ignored the aide who was constantly at one elbow, just in case he stumbled.)

Ironically the same Sen.Hatch mentioned in the thread title played the role of sitter in Strom's later years. The story I have heard repeated is that Hatch was tasked with corralling Thurmond and walking him to committee meetings at which point he would have his hand on Strom's back and announce 'I will be voting for the Senator by proxy.' All the SC politicians used to fall all over themselves sharing truth bending tales of Strom's stamina and cognitive ability. Lindsey Graham did this to the point that he had a running line about not worrying about Strom's ability to complete the term but his own.

I also do not understand why Senators such as Byrd, Kennedy and McCain chose to remain in office when deep into terminal illnesses or unable to physically be present. Kennedy was actually wheeled out of one of the Obama inaugural events because he collapsed during the lunch, Byrd remained in office while he was having to be checked in and out of hospitals in declining health, and McCain is basically an absentee Senator at the moment.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,189,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Ironically the same Sen.Hatch mentioned in the thread title played the role of sitter in Strom's later years. The story I have heard repeated is that Hatch was tasked with corralling Thurmond and walking him to committee meetings at which point he would have his hand on Strom's back and announce 'I will be voting for the Senator by proxy.' All the SC politicians used to fall all over themselves sharing truth bending tales of Strom's stamina and cognitive ability. Lindsey Graham did this to the point that he had a running line about not worrying about Strom's ability to complete the term but his own.

I also do not understand why Senators such as Byrd, Kennedy and McCain chose to remain in office when deep into terminal illnesses or unable to physically be present. Kennedy was actually wheeled out of one of the Obama inaugural events because he collapsed during the lunch, Byrd remained in office while he was having to be checked in and out of hospitals in declining health, and McCain is basically an absentee Senator at the moment.

a part of me wonders if McCain has already died and no ones saying anything. My mother had brain cancer and only lived 3 months....

Old 06-07-2018, 03:39 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,670,947 times
Like commercial pilots, we need to have a retirement age for senators, representatives, justices , president and even cabinet secretaries.

Maybe 75 ( ten years post Medicare age). Apply it to all - democrats, republicans and independents. That will be good for the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections