Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Like commercial pilots, we need to have a retirement age for senators, representatives, justices , president and even cabinet secretaries.

Maybe 75 ( ten years post Medicare age). Apply it to all - democrats, republicans and independents. That will be good for the country.
you and I are probably in the minority here but I agree with you and I am past that age. I would have trouble voting for anyone that was 75 or older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you and I are probably in the minority here but I agree with you and I am past that age. I would have trouble voting for anyone that was 75 or older.
Too bad you weren't living in California in 2014. You could have helped prevent Moonbeam from getting reelected again (not that one vote would have mattered that much ).

Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Too bad you weren't living in California in 2014. You could have helped prevent Moonbeam from getting reelected again (not that one vote would have mattered that much ).
A Governor has a much different job to do than a President.

Since there are many states that only have a part-time Legislature, and there are far fewer huge emergencies and crises that face a Governor, but are a regular item for a President, I don't believe the age limits for the jobs should be the same.

A 75-year old Governor who is still in good health might not be as mentally quick as a President needs to be, but he could still be quick enough to fill his office quite well, and a lot of Governors have spent years to decades of state service as state Representatives and Senators.

This is an important attribute, especially in states with lower populations. The state governments often do the best when coalitions of old, experienced folks can reach consensus even if they disagree on their politics. This is especially important in the states that have constitutional mandates to balance the state budget, or other matters that aren't there in the federal government.

And since most sessions only last for around 90 days, there's always a lot that must be done in a short time frame. Consensus really helps state stuff get done. And a highly experienced Governor, even if he's old, can make it happen.

So I don't object to the lack of state age limits, but I do feel they should be mandated for federal elective offices. At the federal level, we are hiring full-time employees, not part-timers. They should be expected to perform at their highest physical and mental levels.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Outside of you being wrong since Hatch is retiring, your overall point is well taken.

However much of it depends on the cognitive ability of older people. Some are very sharp even if they do not possess the quick wit of their younger days.
One could also argue that they have experience that few others have. The problem comes in when they just keep someone of life support just to get a guaranteed vote, as what was done with people like Strom Thrumond or Robert Byrd. If I am not mistaken both were still in office at a point where they were walking vegetables.
This is not said to deride them personally, as they were blessed to have lived that long in relative health. But their minds had gone years before, and they should have retired to enjoy their golden years with family/friends.

So it really depends on the state of their minds more than anything. Some people get degenerative brain diseases much earlier, assuming they should have ever been elected in the first place. Yet there are plenty of sharp old people who can run circles around younger people from an intellectual standpoint.
Considering how our school systems are now educating our kids (i.e. lack thereof), many young people don't possess close to the knowledge, history and common sense as the older generations.

`
I can't remember his name, but there is a car collector in NY who grew up the son of the founder of a Wall St. firm. The son was a successful movie producer in California for a long time, until he decided to move back to NY and join the family business. I don't know if he (the old man] is still alive, but he didn't completely turn over the reigns (re the firm) to his son (the car collector) until he was well into his 90s.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A Governor has a much different job to do than a President.

Since there are many states that only have a part-time Legislature, and there are far fewer huge emergencies and crises that face a Governor, but are a regular item for a President, I don't believe the age limits for the jobs should be the same.

A 75-year old Governor who is still in good health might not be as mentally quick as a President needs to be, but he could still be quick enough to fill his office quite well, and a lot of Governors have spent years to decades of state service as state Representatives and Senators.

This is an important attribute, especially in states with lower populations. The state governments often do the best when coalitions of old, experienced folks can reach consensus even if they disagree on their politics. This is especially important in the states that have constitutional mandates to balance the state budget, or other matters that aren't there in the federal government.

And since most sessions only last for around 90 days, there's always a lot that must be done in a short time frame. Consensus really helps state stuff get done. And a highly experienced Governor, even if he's old, can make it happen.

So I don't object to the lack of state age limits, but I do feel they should be mandated for federal elective offices. At the federal level, we are hiring full-time employees, not part-timers. They should be expected to perform at their highest physical and mental levels.
Well, it sounds as lough you're a fan.

I'm not (and I wasn't when he was Governor 35-43 years ago either), and I voted for Clinton twice, Gore, and Kerry as a Democrat.

Nita (the person I was replying to with the post you replied to above) and I are both California natives, and I imagine she is also not a Moonbeam fan.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Both will be 90 (Feinstein turns 85 before the end of the month, so she'll be 91) by the end of their next terms. This is madness - - people complain about Congress endlessly and yet the same tired senators are voted in over and over and over again.
I have to wonder what brought Hatch into the conversation? He is retiring. As for Feinstein, even though I am a Republican and proud of it, I have always liked her. That being said, I do not understand for one minute why she is running again? All I have to do is look at some of our friends, our church members, my husband and myself. This is not saying we are all over the hill and not thinking straight; some are very sharp, but would any of them even want to continue in a high level position? No way!!!!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
At 84, both Feinstein and Hatch have greater mental acuity than 71 year old Donald Trump.
that was not the question in case you don't know that and it has little to do with anything. Tell us how you came to this decision except you are a left winger and have shown more times than not what you think of Trump.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
At 88 my mother does as well.

That said, there is something to be said for retiring and letting the next generation step up. When you hit your mid '80s I think that time has come.
Yes, once you know a few 80-somethings, you do start thinking that. My MIL was pretty sharp even at 98, but there's no way she had the stamina for elective office, then or even 10-15 years earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree too, and I'm getting close to 70. I wondered why Hillary Clinton and Trump wanted to run for POTUS at their ages.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, once you know a few 80-somethings, you do start thinking that. My MIL was pretty sharp even at 98, but there's no way she had the stamina for elective office, then or even 10-15 years earlier.

I agree too, and I'm getting close to 70. I wondered why Hillary Clinton and Trump wanted to run for POTUS at their ages.
all I can guess is their egos are bigger than their brains? I think about all the years we worked and planned for the day we wouldn't have to anymore. We are still very much involved in our community and keep active. We are in relatively good health, but know our limitations as well. Our good friends are leaving in a day or so to visit his mom who is 101, or turning 101 in a few days. I guess, until about 2 years ago she was as sharp as they come, still living in her own home at that time, but still was dependent on others for help doing some things. My dad died at 93. Until he had a stroke when he was about 91 he could run us all around the table. Still he could not have run the country, his state or his city even. I can just imagine Hillary or Donald getting though a campaign in another 2 plus years. Or should I say I can not imagine.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:30 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,603,765 times
When an elected official is sitting in his office in his underwear, that's a good sign it's time to leave. If Conyers hadn't been forced to retire, he'd have soon graduated to Depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections