Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:24 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,571,556 times

Advertisements

Both will be 90 (Feinstein turns 85 before the end of the month, so she'll be 91) by the end of their next terms. This is madness - - people complain about Congress endlessly and yet the same tired senators are voted in over and over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 08:11 PM

5,286 posts, read 6,224,555 times
Orin Hatch is retiring. Mitt Romney is his likely replacement.

Feinstein should retire but has decided that her voice is indispensable. Interestingly fellow Ca. Senator Barbara Boxer (who is younger by a decade) called it a career and passed the torch before the 2016 election.

Not sure why all these Senators chose to age or die in office. Especially when they are leaving their states without representation during their decline. My state one had two Senators whose ages combined to 180 years- Strom Thurmond and Fritz Hollings. When Fritz announced his retirement he said he didn't want to treat the US Senate as a retirement home like Strom had- ends up they were checking the old guy in and out of Walter Reed everyday...

Old 06-05-2018, 10:13 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,603,765 times
They like the status.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,189,132 times
I've never voted for Feinstein that dingbat since she almost let the nightstalker get away

Old 06-06-2018, 12:23 AM

19,225 posts, read 16,733,202 times
I get the feeling many voters don't bother to look outside the box for new candidates. They simply vote what's familiar. And if you are a candidate and don't have a boatload of money for ads, nobody hears about you until your name ends up on a ballot. It's too late by then.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,306,729 times
At 84, both Feinstein and Hatch have greater mental acuity than 71 year old Donald Trump.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:42 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,092,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
At 84, both Feinstein and Hatch have greater mental acuity than 71 year old Donald Trump.
At 88 my mother does as well.

That said, there is something to be said for retiring and letting the next generation step up. When you hit your mid '80s I think that time has come.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
I couldn't vote for a 50 year old Hatch or Feinstein.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM

16,641 posts, read 8,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Both will be 90 (Feinstein turns 85 before the end of the month, so she'll be 91) by the end of their next terms. This is madness - - people complain about Congress endlessly and yet the same tired senators are voted in over and over and over again.
Outside of you being wrong since Hatch is retiring, your overall point is well taken.

However much of it depends on the cognitive ability of older people. Some are very sharp even if they do not possess the quick wit of their younger days.
One could also argue that they have experience that few others have. The problem comes in when they just keep someone of life support just to get a guaranteed vote, as what was done with people like Strom Thrumond or Robert Byrd. If I am not mistaken both were still in office at a point where they were walking vegetables.
This is not said to deride them personally, as they were blessed to have lived that long in relative health. But their minds had gone years before, and they should have retired to enjoy their golden years with family/friends.

So it really depends on the state of their minds more than anything. Some people get degenerative brain diseases much earlier, assuming they should have ever been elected in the first place. Yet there are plenty of sharp old people who can run circles around younger people from an intellectual standpoint.
Considering how our school systems are now educating our kids (i.e. lack thereof), many young people don't possess close to the knowledge, history and common sense as the older generations.

`

Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,571,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Outside of you being wrong since Hatch is retiring, your overall point is well taken.
Yes - - my reading comprehension skills of a chart were very subpar. Particularly embarrassing because I had read the stories about Hatch giving up the seat when it happened - - although I wouldn't put it past a politician to reneg on a promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections