Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:03 AM

5,284 posts, read 6,221,083 times

Advertisements

The Republicans I know fall into three camps- Trump as Messiah, Trump as the bargain they had to make to avoid Clinton, and Trump as a disaster. I would say its a 40/40/20 split. Several who voted for him simply do not discuss it because they are not entirely happy but felt there was no choice. Others are thrilled with his social policies and simply overlook everything else.

Its a mixed bag to be honest.

For background I live in a blue portion of a Blueish/blue-purple metro in red state. And my own family falls on both sides of the political spectrum but the Rs tend to be in two camps- libertarian/pro military and religious conservative with less overlap than one would expect. The libertarian ones are not pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not the one who is a Republican who doesn't like him, so I don't know why you are saying I'm judging on personality.

However, some of the people I know are judging him based on character and were appalled by the fact that he got the nomination in the first place, let alone the presidency. That's in addition to their judgement about what he has done - or of course primarily not done - as president because to the extent that they may have agreed with him on some issues, he has failed to deliver on just about everything he claimed would be oh so easy for him to do.

But I'm not going to parse words with you just because you personally don't like the word hate. That is hardly the most relevant point here.
I don't think he paid much attention to what he said during the campaign (which is pretty pathetic). I don't think he paid much attention because he didn't think whatever he said would be anything he'd ever have to answer for....because he wasn't going to win.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't think he paid much attention to what he said during the campaign (which is pretty pathetic). I don't think he paid much attention because he didn't think whatever he said would be anything he'd ever have to answer for....because he wasn't going to win.
that could be part of it, but we also know that he creates an ever changing reality for himself, by saying whatever he feels like saying at any given moment, whether it's consistent or not with what he's previously said.

He's admitted this himself, including explaining that when he answers questions about his financial status, he goes by how he *feels* rather than, you know, numbers.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:42 AM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
As I mentioned before, in all but one of the targeted CA primaries, the GOP still won an absolute majority of all voters. Dems avoided disaster in that they were not completely shut out of the runoffs. And while some can say that Dems are energized and doing better than expected in many cases, the results in the primaries still don't point to victory for the Dems, at least not in CA.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
As I mentioned before, in all but one of the targeted CA primaries, the GOP still won an absolute majority of all voters. Dems avoided disaster in that they were not completely shut out of the runoffs. And while some can say that Dems are energized and doing better than expected in many cases, the results in the primaries still don't point to victory for the Dems, at least not in CA.
Yes, what you are saying is correct. But primary voters are not the same pool as general election voters and there is not automatically a direct correlation between primary turnout and general election turnout. Democrats have work to do, absolutely. But if they can mobilize their voters in November, the fact that they are on the ticket in all these districts means that these are potentially competitive races. That's the primary outcome the Democrats needed, and they got it.

November is a clean slate where we all get to see what happens.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am guessing you know very few Republicans or you are judging on personality and not what he has or has not done. I know a lot of Republicans and not a one would not support him again. That being said, most of us do not like his personality either. As for hating, Golly how I hate that word: to me hate is bad. Disliking someone is very different from hating. Are you going to tell us your bfriends actually said they hate him?
I know Rs who only voted for him because Clinton was the alternative. They will probably be much happier voting in this year's state and Congressional races. But I would not be money on them backing Trump in 2020. I wouldn't expect a Dem vote but 3rd party or abstaining are possibilities.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Low primary turnout was one of the reasons Dems were particularly worried about some of those contests. From what I read they traditionally turn out in primaries at much lower rates than Republicans. This is why Democrats have been shut out in even Democratic districts in years past.

If they made gains in voting numbers in the primary, they have to be hopeful they make similar gains in the general election. Having R vs D in Governors race might also give Democrats a reason to show up. Regardless of partisanship its getting sad the extent to which Democrats complain after failing to vote. Colin Kaepernick is the poster child for this phenomenon.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:24 PM

900 posts, read 376,221 times
Quote:
primary elections have a smaller share than general elections, yet in most of these districts if you muster the Democratic vote it outweighs the Republican.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
primary elections have a smaller share than general elections, yet in most of these districts if you muster the Democratic vote it outweighs the Republican.
That was not the case for the contested districts in CA.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 3 days ago)

52,707 posts, read 48,001,428 times
Please watch out for the very fake and dishonest news media who are so desperate right now. They'll do anything to pump up the liberal faction. There will be no blue wave this year or any other year. More Republicans have actually been turning out for the primaries than their opponents. Sorry, leftists, but it's not happening.

Funny how people get too excited over the primaries while pretending the real election had already happened. The reality is, it's not November yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections