Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,366,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That was not the case for the contested districts in CA.
And once again, primary turnout does NOT predict general elections.

But keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 PM

30,775 posts, read 18,542,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And once again, primary turnout does NOT predict general elections.

But keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.
Your point it? General election turnout is higher in almost all cases. But that's for both parties. Still, given CA's interesting way of primaries where all candidates challenge each other regardless of party, the results from the CA primaries give more insight into how the electorate is feeling than in closed party primary elections. I've also looked back at CA primary and general election results since CA made the switch to this new system. Where one party is winning an absolute majority of the votes cast in the primary, said party is not losing the district in the general. So, again, you bring up that "point" why?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,680,256 times
Quote:
Your point it? General election turnout is higher in almost all cases. But that's for both parties. Still, given CA's interesting way of primaries where all candidates challenge each other regardless of party, the results from the CA primaries give more insight into how the electorate is feeling than in closed party primary elections. I've also looked back at CA primary and general election results since CA made the switch to this new system. Where one party is winning an absolute majority of the votes cast in the primary, said party is not losing the district in the general. So, again, you bring up that "point" why?

If that were true, then Democrats will win California 49, where they won 50.6% of the vote.

I dont know what you were arguing , but that is not a good sign for Republicans either.

If "so goes california, so goes the nation", then that is a net gain for Democrats across the board, since none of the toss up Dem seats were won by the other party either.

Also, lets remember California had higher turnout and was more anti Trump then any other state(comparatively).

Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,556,811 times
I don't think there's much of any predictive value in California right now.

For sure, there is still a strong conservative presence there, but California's politics are like most of life there; it's different than in other states, and unique in its differences.

But while there may not be much that can be used in any of the other states, since California is the largest economy in the nation and has the highest population, whatever happens there will have big consequences in the general election in November.

So the state still bears watching, even if there is little that can be applied elsewhere, especially so for its western neighbors.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 AM

11,046 posts, read 4,480,492 times
California is known for not being part of America, so its the last place I'd look for to determine the General Election.
Nobody can relate to Californians.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:37 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,366,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
California is known for not being part of America, so its the last place I'd look for to determine the General Election.
Nobody can relate to Californians.
And you win the prize for the most Unamerican comment of the day. You do not own America nor do you get to define who is an American.

But fortunately, I know how to use the ignore list and won't have to read any more of this drivel.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:24 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And you win the prize for the most Unamerican comment of the day. You do not own America nor do you get to define who is an American.

But fortunately, I know how to use the ignore list and won't have to read any more of this drivel.
the comment is not Unamerican, at all. Of course we all know Ca is part of the country. I am guessing the poster simply meant, due to the difference in CA versus the rest of the country it seems like they are no longer part of America. Not to mention, for years there has been a movement by some in CA to secede from America. Of course it will never happen. But it does show the thoughts of many people living in Ca. They are a bit different from many of us. This is coming from a gal who was born and raised in Ca and still has family there.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the comment is not Unamerican, at all. Of course we all know Ca is part of the country. I am guessing the poster simply meant, due to the difference in CA versus the rest of the country it seems like they are no longer part of America. Not to mention, for years there has been a movement by some in CA to secede from America. Of course it will never happen. But it does show the thoughts of many people living in Ca. They are a bit different from many of us. This is coming from a gal who was born and raised in Ca and still has family there.
The person you are talking about didnt say "seems like". That posted is hugely hateful of Democrats and meant exactly what they said.

Dont defend people just because they have an R beside their name.

Also, your own explanation doesnt work, there are separatist moments in every state, Texas being the best example.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:40 PM

30,775 posts, read 18,542,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If that were true, then Democrats will win California 49, where they won 50.6% of the vote.

I dont know what you were arguing , but that is not a good sign for Republicans either.

If "so goes california, so goes the nation", then that is a net gain for Democrats across the board, since none of the toss up Dem seats were won by the other party either.

Also, lets remember California had higher turnout and was more anti Trump then any other state(comparatively).
That's one district out of more than a handful targeted by Dems in California. While one district is still a positive sign for Dems, it's nowhere near as positive for Dems trying to retake the house try to make it seem. That's my point.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
That's one district out of more than a handful targeted by Dems in California. While one district is still a positive sign for Dems, it's nowhere near as positive for Dems trying to retake the house try to make it seem. That's my point.
I understand the point you are making, im saying it is flawed. Thats what my last line speaks to.

California isnt equal to the nation in this context, it already has maximized Democratic support, the fact that Democrats actually improved in California and didnt equal previous results, is a bad sign for Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections