Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,441,007 times

Advertisements

This could go in many threads or even be it's own but I will leave it here. Note, NOT Fox News.

A troubling new poll was just released showing that the Democratic Party is significantly less popular than both Donald Trump and Mike Pence. My gut tells me that Democrats will ignore this poll, or blame it on bad polling, and continue down the same course they are currently on: being funded by lobbyists and the 1%, straddling the fence or outright ignoring many of most inspirational issues of the time, and blaming Bernie Sanders for why they aren't in power right now.

As a general rule the Democratic Party doesn't listen well and struggles to hear the truth about itself.

KING: The Democratic Party seems to have no earthly idea why it is so damn unpopular* - NY Daily News

When good people who are frustrated with the Democratic Party express their genuine concerns, I see them being told to shut up and unify. "Now is not the time for public complaints," they are told. "We must all work together."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 08:09 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,366,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This could go in many threads or even be it's own but I will leave it here. Note, NOT Fox News.

A troubling new poll was just released showing that the Democratic Party is significantly less popular than both Donald Trump and Mike Pence. My gut tells me that Democrats will ignore this poll, or blame it on bad polling, and continue down the same course they are currently on: being funded by lobbyists and the 1%, straddling the fence or outright ignoring many of most inspirational issues of the time, and blaming Bernie Sanders for why they aren't in power right now.

As a general rule the Democratic Party doesn't listen well and struggles to hear the truth about itself.

KING: The Democratic Party seems to have no earthly idea why it is so damn unpopular* - NY Daily News

When good people who are frustrated with the Democratic Party express their genuine concerns, I see them being told to shut up and unify. "Now is not the time for public complaints," they are told. "We must all work together."
Oh, well, I'm sure a poll from March 2017 TOTALLY reflects things today.

What's that? You say there has been new polling since then? And that Pence's favorable/unfavorable is now 36/46 in the most recent poll, and that it's 29 yes/60 no on whether this country is one the right track.

My goodness, it's almost like you deliberately lied in order to claim some bogus point that doesn't exist.

Most recent poll results

http://www.suffolk.edu/documents/SUP...018_tables.pdf

Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 PM

The article wasn't posted for the poll.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:31 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,680,256 times
Quote:
The article wasn't posted for the poll.

libertarians and progressives are not equal.

libertarians view the GOP as better than the Democrats, join the republican party, and try to change it from the inside.

therefore, when they participate in polls like this, they view it as "GOP compared to Dems and Trump compared to Hillary"

Progressives dont, they just answer the question. However, thats the flaw in polling like this. How one views the question isnt calculated.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:32 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,680,256 times
Quote:
No, that is not what I mean.
Then you are flat out wrong.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
libertarians and progressives are not equal.

libertarians view the GOP as better than the Democrats, join the republican party, and try to change it from the inside.
This is far from true.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Then you are flat out wrong.
Your argument is that Obama was clueless then as that is always what happens.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:58 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,724,833 times
Quote:
One could as easily point out that the party wants my backing but they aren't interested in what I want even though they pretend to.

It's already been pointed out that Bernie can't register as a (D).

Like it or not, Trump is doing the things that the people who elected him to do want him to do. Are the parties suppose to represent the people or their own interests?

Bernie stood for far more of the things that the (D)'s say they stand for than did Hillary.
All great points.

The Democratic party does want to pull in some of Sanders' supporters yet they don't want to risk a Trump-like hijack.

I'm not going to debate here about whether Trump is doing good things or not. And I won't debate about whether he is representing the wants of his voters or just a small subset of his voters. But, the party does represent its own interests. It is never about the people. It is about telling the people what they want. It shouldn't be that way. I think we'd agree on that.

Honestly, I'm not sure where Bernie stood in relation to Democratic ideals. I'm not disagreeing. I'd have to go back and read exactly what he said again. Sometimes we hear what we want to hear as opposed to hearing what was actually said. That's the magic of politicians. The sleight of hand (or I guess mouth?) is a talent a good politician always possesses.

I don't know what Democrats will do in 2020. I wonder if anyone has the stomach to run against Trump. Let alone if anyone worth a damn will run against Trump.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
All great points.

The Democratic party does want to pull in some of Sanders' supporters yet they don't want to risk a Trump-like hijack.
Nominating someone that the Sanders supporters can support is how you do that.

Quote:
I'm not going to debate here about whether Trump is doing good things or not. And I won't debate about whether he is representing the wants of his voters or just a small subset of his voters. But, the party does represent its own interests. It is never about the people. It is about telling the people what they want. It shouldn't be that way. I think we'd agree on that.

Honestly, I'm not sure where Bernie stood in relation to Democratic ideals. I'm not disagreeing. I'd have to go back and read exactly what he said again. Sometimes we hear what we want to hear as opposed to hearing what was actually said. That's the magic of politicians. The sleight of hand (or I guess mouth?) is a talent a good politician always possesses.

I don't know what Democrats will do in 2020. I wonder if anyone has the stomach to run against Trump. Let alone if anyone worth a damn will run against Trump.
Trump won't be difficult to beat with a good candidate. Another poor one wont be hard for Trump to beat.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,125,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I don't care who they run in 2020, as long as we derail Trump's border control plans. As a business owner, I cannot afford for those plans to go through, as they would destroy my business. I rely on a constant supply of cheap, unskilled labor to keep my business profitable and to maintain my lifestyle.

If I had to pay Americans to do these jobs, and contribute to social security, medicare, unemployment, etc as well as 401k and health insurance, I would be in trouble.
Did you forget the "/sarc" at the end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections