Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,628,416 times

Advertisements

Trump’s mission is to put his country and its people FIRST, as should the leaders of every single nation/country.

Apparently to some, its considered “racist” to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 10:12 AM
JRR

8,248 posts, read 5,772,232 times
Just my opinion, but it seemed like a pretty simple recipe. Tell people what they want to hear (whether it was true or not didn't matter) and stoke fear, anger and resentment.

Then the media put the frosting on the cake by giving him publicity 24/7 in their quest for ratings.

Last edited by JRR; 06-24-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 11:58 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,588,393 times
Well, when nothing gets done by career politicians it's time to get a business man in there and that is what happened. I don't think even Bidden would have won. You can't just go in and say, "it's my turn" like we have had in the last elections with McCain, Romney, and Hillary. It's not your turn when it's just the same old thing. People were fed up with that old line and know once elected it's back to the same old policies.

People were tired of the clique that is Washington and that's all it is to the detriment of the people. Like Hanson said they were out of touch with how the common man lives.

They pass laws up in Congress that the rest of the country have to live with but once you have a dead body on your property and illegals without insurance and driver's license that hits your car and just leave, it can change your mind on what the law is doing to you personally.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:22 PM

18,774 posts, read 18,302,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well, when nothing gets done by career politicians it's time to get a business man in there and that is what happened. I don't think even Bidden would have won. You can't just go in and say, "it's my turn" like we have had in the last elections with McCain, Romney, and Hillary. It's not your turn when it's just the same old thing. People were fed up with that old line and know once elected it's back to the same old policies.

People were tired of the clique that is Washington and that's all it is to the detriment of the people. Like Hanson said they were out of touch with how the common man lives.

They pass laws up in Congress that the rest of the country have to live with but once you have a dead body on your property and illegals without insurance and driver's license that hits your car and just leave, it can change your mind on what the law is doing to you personally.

This is exactly why we voted for Trump: Steaks and pies prepared for Trump's canceled congressional picnic will go to Walter Reed Hospital | Daily Mail Online. Congress isn't working to fix the immigration problems; why should they get rewarded? The fact that the food went to Walter Reed was just icing on the cake!

Old 06-24-2018, 01:29 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,588,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This is exactly why we voted for Trump: Steaks and pies prepared for Trump's canceled congressional picnic will go to Walter Reed Hospital | Daily Mail Online. Congress isn't working to fix the immigration problems; why should they get rewarded? The fact that the food went to Walter Reed was just icing on the cake!
Exactly and the politicians are yakking about wanting another raise now. Totally tone deaf to what the American people want. They don't even realize how stupid they look.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:37 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,359,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YtzgA310t0

Great talk from Victor Hanson. How Trump won.

If Hanson didn't mention an assists from Russia an Comey as the reasons why Trump threw the 2016 Presidential election, I'm refuse to press play.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:56 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,095,805 times
You are talking confirmation bias. If your bias is not confirmed, then you are not interested. Don't bother with the tired retort, Wuh, that's what this youtube is? First, how would you know? Since you profess to not watching it. Second, someone else does something so, you get a free pass?

I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If Hanson didn't mention an assists from Russia an Comey as the reasons why Trump threw the 2016 Presidential election, I'm refuse to press play.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:26 PM

13,762 posts, read 9,853,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Why are you turning this into a class warfare? ...
"Class warfare" isn't my intention, and neither do I think that "class" is primarily a matter of financial wherewithal or type of vocation. But it is increasingly apparent, that the traditional correlation between class-identity (however we define it) and party-affiliation, is going through upheaval, and perhaps outright reversal.

You're quite right, about the modern Democrats lacking a platform or a compelling vision. Bernie's vision to me sounds stupid and precariously reckless. The signature achievement of "third way" Democrats - free trade and international institutions - is dying, much to my chagrin. I want to live in an international world, where money, ideas, goods and services move seamlessly, and national borders are mere bureaucratic formalities. No, I don't condone or support illegal immigration, but the supposed "infestation" doesn't trouble me too greatly. I have more pressing concerns, such as a trade-war potentially dinging corporate profits, and thus the stock market. Or a Dollar that's unnaturally too high.

By my reckoning, the economic recovery since 2007-2009 has been remarkably good. I applaud those leaders - elected and unelected - who managed to achieve this. I very much prefer more of the same, and any sudden or radical change is exactly the negation of what I'd like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
...The truth of the matter is that Hillary Clinton was a historically awful candidate. Wooden, indecisive, terrible campaign management, lots of skeevy things in her past, lying to Congress, and a host of other things. ...
Hillary was indeed an awful candidate. One hopes that much of the Trump-vote was really an anti-Hillary vote. If - a huge "IF"! - the Democrats field a serviceable candidate in 2020, hopefully our latest dalliance with populism will end.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:58 PM

18,774 posts, read 18,302,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
"Class warfare" isn't my intention, and neither do I think that "class" is primarily a matter of financial wherewithal or type of vocation. But it is increasingly apparent, that the traditional correlation between class-identity (however we define it) and party-affiliation, is going through upheaval, and perhaps outright reversal.

You're quite right, about the modern Democrats lacking a platform or a compelling vision. Bernie's vision to me sounds stupid and precariously reckless. The signature achievement of "third way" Democrats - free trade and international institutions - is dying, much to my chagrin. I want to live in an international world, where money, ideas, goods and services move seamlessly, and national borders are mere bureaucratic formalities. No, I don't condone or support illegal immigration, but the supposed "infestation" doesn't trouble me too greatly. I have more pressing concerns, such as a trade-war potentially dinging corporate profits, and thus the stock market. Or a Dollar that's unnaturally too high.

By my reckoning, the economic recovery since 2007-2009 has been remarkably good. I applaud those leaders - elected and unelected - who managed to achieve this. I very much prefer more of the same, and any sudden or radical change is exactly the negation of what I'd like to see.

I have said this many times: I was a loyal Democrat for about forty years. But I watched the shift away from their base. They did not care anymore. Maybe we did not line their pockets the way they expected. It seems not too many are content with just their salary. They are looking for more and more power. We elect them to office and they look at us and say: Who's that! Then they surround themselves with the Saudis, big oil and Wall Street (not to mention the military industrial complex.

Yes; I think we are in a state of upheaval and maybe roll reversal. Time will tell and this year could be a death stroke for the Party if they do not quickly get their act together. I wish that they would simply take some lessons from Trump and repeat over and over again: There is nothing wrong with promising a better future and working towards that goal.

President Trump has made many smart moves. Of course not all have played out the way he intended. I would think, that if he can truly get peace with North Korea, that would be one big feather in his cap. It was something none of us were expecting and a very unusual twist to what looked like all out war. Of course we still have Iran to deal with even if the NK thing is finalized.

As far as tariffs: I really do not know. I am torn on the subject. I hear of all of our accumulated debt to China, as well as other countries, and something does not seem fair. I listen to our Administration's figures and it sounds realistic to ask for fair trade deals - but I do not know and nothing is simple. The stock market has not collapsed and they try to stay ahead of any disaster. But I can be wrong and can be uniformed.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:17 PM
JRR

8,248 posts, read 5,772,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Hillary was indeed an awful candidate. One hopes that much of the Trump-vote was really an anti-Hillary vote. If - a huge "IF"! - the Democrats field a serviceable candidate in 2020, hopefully our latest dalliance with populism will end.
At this point, I wouldn't necessarily have to vote for a Democrat in 2020; a moderate Republican would look real good to me. Anything to get me off of this train to crazytown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections