Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 05:04 PM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times

Advertisements

Each state sets up its own election rules - filing deadline, signatures, campaign finance filings, etc...If a candidate did not file on time of get the necessary signatures, they would not be allowed on the ballot. Mandating the release of tax returns would be just another requirement similar to campaigns being required to file finance information. As for constitutionality, the US Supreme Court upheld state rights to dictate their presidential election processes back in 2000. Besides, if a RI voter wanted to vote for Trump, I believe that they could still do so via the write-in method. The rule would likely only apply to getting on the official ballot. Trump has zero chance of ever winning RI so it really doesn't matter. Besides, with its meager 4 electoral votes, I don' think he would care if he were on the ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 08:46 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
1) Wont happen as it breaks a ton of laws
2) RI is going to vote for the Dem anyway so would affect nada.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:50 AM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I agree, also their collage records..You know " full disclosure ".Right ! except of course for Barry.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Constitution determines requirements for federal office. Everything else is just empty political posturing.
That is very true. The requirements for President are spelled out very clearly. Yet, this seems more like a states' rights issue. The states have specific regulations for getting on the ballot. I doubt what RI did would stand up to judicial scrutiny and I'd be concerned that other states would do the same.

Right now, RI has three paths to ballot access:

- Party affiliation (win party nomination from state party)
- Independent candidate (get 1000 signatures in RI)
- Write-in Candidate

Which method exactly is RI trying to block? The article isn't clear. I don't think the state house can control the state Republican party. They CAN rewrite the rules for an Independent candidate and maybe a write-in candidate but I doubt Trump would run on those anyway.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Recall chafee from RI was chosen as one of Hillary's primary shills to pretend she was putting up a hard fight, beating all competitors to win the dem nomination. Chafee's big issue was to mandate the metric system as the US standard.

Good place to hide your yacht, ask Kerry.

If the rogue IRS office in Cincinnati couldn't stump trump in 2016, 2017 or 2018 along with the FBI, DOJ
and Obama, I doubt anything would be found if released.

The only reason anyone wants Trump's returns released is to have another source of spurious rumors and innuendo to draw from in order to stop his agenda from moving forward.

Rhode island red, a fine name for a chicken.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:29 AM

24,483 posts, read 17,220,223 times
UGH doesn't little Rhodey have enough problems?

Plus I think there are bigger issues in the Trump admin. to worry about then his tax returns. Plus it has never been a requirement to release tax returns. It was only done to show the voters how charitable a candidate is etc...

So if this idea somehow makes it through the challenges what will be on the ballot in 2020? Will the only choice be for a Dem or a independent runner? I think if that happens there will be many write ins for Trump.

Why do I suspect that the Dems are already thinking that they cannot beat Trump in 2020 fair and square so they are casting about for inventive ways to keep him off the ballot ?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default Stupid Idea --- Might Get Overturned

Thank goodness that Rhode Island does not decide national elections.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:52 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why do I suspect that the Dems are already thinking that they cannot beat Trump in 2020 fair and square so they are casting about for inventive ways to keep him off the ballot ?

Who said they played fair and square in 2016? Remember the super delegates, the largest war chest any candidate ever enjoyed, Russians, states that will not release voter information, states that all of a sudden allowed criminals to vote, - if you think of it; they tried it!

Old 06-25-2018, 09:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
so a state THINKS it can FORCE a citizen, to release to the public, PRIVATE personal information....

there IS NO requirement for ANY candidate to release their tax forms, containing private and personal information.....mandating that would be unconstitutional (and be equated to a poll tax)

Rhode Island will soon be known as the state of identity theft

I agree with states rights, but RI has gone off the reservation

Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Who said they played fair and square in 2016? Remember the super delegates, the largest war chest any candidate ever enjoyed, Russians, states that will not release voter information, states that all of a sudden allowed criminals to vote, - if you think of it; they tried it!
well it is a known fact, that the DNC and liberals are all criminals that support criminal cartels, like the Clinton crime family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections