Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:06 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,359,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Another hysterical and desperate attempt to pain Republicans with a nasty, wide brush.
Fail.

We are talking about the North Carolina State House, not the US legislature. The current seat is held by Garland Pierce, who is a black minister and has held the seat since 2004. Last cycle he ran unopposed. The job pays $13,491 per year.
Republicans currently hold a 76-44 majority in the North Carolina House and there appears to be no danger that this particular Democratic seat will be lost.

The Real News is:

There are nuts in the world. About as many call themselves Democrat as do Republican. Some nuts run for office.
But that's not a very interesting headline.
I agree that there are nuts in the world of all types. I just think that the nuttiest nuts tend to be Republican. If someone has unwise opinions, they might very well be a democrat. If someone has opinions that are horrible and make absolutely no sense...it's probably a Republican.

*My state nearly elected Todd Akin a few years ago. He wanted to ban the morning after pill. This should be a non-existent mentality in any civilized nation. Instead, our country is infected by a widespread cult, sometimes known as fundamentalist Christianity, that insists that the lives of children aren't important, and that's why they're pro-life.

Also:

*Misperceptions about Obama's religious beliefs are more common than those about his birth, particularly among Republicans. Overall, 29% of Americans say they think the President is a Muslim, including 43% of Republicans.
https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/13/polit...isperceptions/

*Then there's how Republicans are still denying man-made climate change.

*Rick Santorum believes rape and incest victims shouldn't be allowed to get an abortion

*George Bush said atheists aren't citizens.

also:

*A Public Policy Polling (PPP) national survey conducted between February 20th and February 22nd of Republican voters, found that an astonishing 57 percent of Republicans want to dismantle the Constitution, and establish Christianity as the official national religion. Only 30 percent oppose making Christianity the national religion.
https://www.politicususa.com/2015/02...-religion.html

The Republican party is the party of insane theocrats and I don't know why we can't have a party that's good for small business owners that's not crazy I'm not necessarily a democrat. I just find myself constantly voting for democrats because I don't want to encourage any more crazy people

Here's another good one:

On Tuesday, a website based in Oklahoma, MooreDaily.com, ran a story featuring Facebook conversations from a Republican candidate for the Oklahoma House of Representatives. Scott Esk, who is running in Oklahoma’s 91st District, made a number of posts last summer critical of homosexuality and stating that “we would be totally in the right” to execute gays by stoning them. He stated during the Facebook conversation that while he is a libertarian, and stoning gays to death is kind of against those principles, he feels that it would morally be the right thing to do by God, and that it is a shame that this nation ignores things that are worthy of death.
https://www.politicususa.com/2014/06...ned-death.html

and here's one that's interesting too:

A survey last week from Public Policy Polling found that 40 percent of Republican voters in North Carolina believe the practice of Islam should be made illegal.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...hould-be-ille/

I haven't spent much time looking up that stuff too. I'm sure there's way more of it out there. If someone has a poor tax plan, that might be a Democrat. If someone thinks "We got to stone the gays" or "Islam should be illegal" or "ban all abortion" or completely insane things like that...it's probably a Republican, or Libertarian, and they'll probably vote Republican because they can't get a Libertarian in office.

Also:

The poll by the Democratic-leaning firm found that 49 percent of Republicans said they do not believe in evolution while 37 percent said they do believe in evolution. Another 13 percent said they were not sure.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...ting-evolution

Last edited by Clintone; 07-06-2018 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,359,306 times
Edit: I shouldn't have badmouthed Libertarians. The majority of the things I just complained about...Libertarians are against as well. I haven't seen studies that point to Libertarians having similarly undesirable opinions as I've seen many Republicans have either.

My bad. That was just me ranting against everything remotely right-ish.

I'm unaware of any common libertarian goals that belong in the obviously, 100% wrong category. Every common Libertarian goal I can think of are the sorts of ideas that deserve discussion and explanations of disagreement, if a person disagrees, as opposed to the kind of "Well, that doesn't make any sense" type of response that some not-so-rare Republican goals warrant.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-07-2018 at 01:23 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 04:52 AM

59,252 posts, read 27,425,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I think NC is becoming more liberal! Plus, liberals in general are far more accepting of others than others are of liberals!

Many people retire to NC or other southern states, not because they can't afford to stay in their own state, but because of the milder weather.

Besides, this topic has been beaten to death already.
" Plus, liberals in general are far more accepting of others"

I guess you DON'T follow the "news". When are they going to "accept" Trump as our president?

"Many people retire to NC or other southern states, not because they can't afford to stay in their own state, but because of the milder weather."

I consider this one of those "I know it all" claims.

You LIVE in NJ. I LIVE in NC.

You KNOW MORE about the people from all over the country that move here then I do.

With over 17 years experience on this issue, the No 1 reason people move here is they CANT AFFORD TO STAY IN THE N.E. during retirement.

One of my friends went for $12,000 a year in property taxes to $500.

A study was done a little while back to see buying power of how far $100 goes.

In places like NY, NY and other northeast sates the buying power of $100 was worth about $82. In NC that same $100 was worth $118.

There is a TREMENDOUS difference in the Cost of living all over the country. The NE and west coast is VERY high.

In most of the he south it is much lower.

COST of LIVING is THE the No. 1 reason people leave the expensive north and move south according to all the people I have talked to in on over 17 years.

Yes the winter weather is "milder' then up north, they saying Goes "I moved her so I don't have to shovel the sunshine".

On the other end of the scale we have MORE days of heat index over 100 degrees NOT because the heat itself but because of the humidity.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 07-07-2018 at 05:15 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
When you cut to the bone and make an increase it looks real good.

I suggest you check the taxes on your land line or cell phone, your electric bill, your gas bill, your cable or internet bill. Look at all your monthly bills and you will see how high your taxes have gone up. Then check out the fees (GOP for Taxes) for things you use regularly. All since this great tax cut for the 1% and the Pope family here in NC

By the way any spending was voted on and passed with the 1 billion bond passed by the people of NC. Spending and pushing the cost down the road.
NOW you ARE singing a DIFFERENT tune.

YOU made a claim about :drastic cuts' and "cannot afford". I Showed that your claim is NOT TRUE.

NOW you want to "move the goalposts" because I proved your claim as a lie.

You can play all the silly games all by yourself.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, I know about the brainwashing of black folks in Christian Churches.

Still, it’s a white man’s religion. Doesn’t matter how many brainwashed black folks believe in it.

"Doesn’t matter how many brainwashed black folks believe in it"

We know you are black and detest white people, 'Nuff said!

Old 07-07-2018, 07:58 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Doesn’t matter how many brainwashed black folks believe in it"

We know you are black and detest white people, 'Nuff said!
Not going to speak for him, but the other take away you could have is that he detests religion.

More and more people finally are rejecting bronzed aged superstitious myths promulgated by itinerant, uneducated, desert dwelling goat herders as they told their stories around campfires at night. Maybe it's finally time that people got into the 21st century and stopped believing in their imaginary friend.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:17 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,578,434 times
He only got 2/3 of the Republicans? Is he not racist enough?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Racists exist and and always will.

But what does one say when an avowed white supremacist wins a N.C. GOP state primary by a 2/3 margin? What does that say about that area he ran in?

I'm truly shocked that there are still people who would actually think and support a person like that. He's worse than David Duke!

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1012348662419206145
and of course Newsweek tell the story, the whole story and never slants anything. Maybe racist of not, he has some good ideas for N.C. I know nothing about him so can't judge but I can say, in my opinion anything in Newsweek need to be researched before taking as the whole truth.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I would venture to guess there are two reasons:

1) People are retiring there (nothing new)

2) Companies there can't find the people they need locally, so end up hiring people from out of state who are more educated and have the needed skills.

Also, for every person who moves to another state from the northeast, there are two who want to move here for the schools and job opportunities.
"Also, for every person who moves to another state from the northeast, there are two who want to move here for the schools and job opportunities"

According the last census 10 states LOST population, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Mass , Mich, Missouri, NJ, NY, PA, and Ohio.

NOTE, only 1 from the South and the NE states LOST MORE.

I looks like not that there aren't as many as you thought, "there are two who want to move here for the schools and job opportunities"

8 states gained and not ONE is in the NE, Arizona, Fa. GA,Nevada, SC, Texas, Utah and WASH.

Which States Will Gain or Lose Seats in Congress - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 07-08-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I didn't say he didn't have the right to have his opinions. What I said was that he's an evil abomination whose goal is destroy the world.
"he's an evil abomination whose goal is destroy the world"

The left has been playing this tune from the 1st day Trump won the election and gee, it HASN'T HAPPENED yet.

But, go ahead with the childish accusations, "The world is coming to and end". It only turns more dems to leave the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections