Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times

Advertisements

From Jezebel -

"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the 28-year-old Democratic congressional primary winner who simultaneously rouses feelings of inspiration and deep inadequacy within my young, icy heart, will not be the sole Democrat on the November ballot in her district. Instead, 20-year incumbent Joseph Crowley, whom she beat in an exciting, improbable primary race, will stay on the ballot—creating a situation that could split the Democratic vote"

https://theslot.jezebel.com/alexandr...t-w-1827540576

Convoluted, but that's NY politics for ya. And I sincerely hope it does split the vote. What's even better than the article is the Comments column...young progs HATE Nancy Pelosi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,565 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From Jezebel -

"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the 28-year-old Democratic congressional primary winner who simultaneously rouses feelings of inspiration and deep inadequacy within my young, icy heart, will not be the sole Democrat on the November ballot in her district. Instead, 20-year incumbent Joseph Crowley, whom she beat in an exciting, improbable primary race, will stay on the ballot—creating a situation that could split the Democratic vote"

Convoluted, but that's NY politics for ya. And I sincerely hope it does split the vote. What's even better than the article is the Comments column...young progs HATE Nancy Pelosi.
The last Republican on the ballot got 17% of the vote.

this is one of the few districts where a 3 way race isnt going to help the Republican.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The last Republican on the ballot got 17% of the vote.

this is one of the few districts where a 3 way race isnt going to help the Republican.
Nope...the GOP is a joke here. The Tea Party had a brief surge then sputtered out.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
The corporate side of the (D) party wasn't about to give in this easy.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:11 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
Cortez really won't be any better. Neither are likable.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:26 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The corporate side of the (D) party wasn't about to give in this easy.

On this I agree with you.

Go look at the long long list of corporations backing Joseph Crowley.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:22 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,123 times
I am guessing that NY isn't the only state where this could happen, a main party candidate jumping to a third party to stay in the race. Not defending the move but I just wanted to throw out that this could happen else where.

off topic, what a weird article and website. I first thought it was a sarcastic article.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:56 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
I am guessing that NY isn't the only state where this could happen, a main party candidate jumping to a third party to stay in the race. Not defending the move but I just wanted to throw out that this could happen else where.

off topic, what a weird article and website. I first thought it was a sarcastic article.
They are part of the gawker media portfolio. Their other sites like The Root, Gizmodo, Deadspin, Lifehacker and a bunch of others used to be good for the topics they wrote about, but they they became so over the top political that it did become like satire. I can't read any of their trash anymore.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
From Jezebel -

LOL! If she loses.....
Ima laugh.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
From Jezebel -

New York State has laws that support third parties, which as an independent I think is great. If for nothing else, it allows for people to register a protest vote against the two largest parties; the Democrats and the Republicans.

Sometimes a third party candidate can win a race. John Lindsay won the race for Mayor of New York City in 1965 as a Republican with the help of the small Liberal Party. Running for reelection in 1969, he was shockingly dropped by his own Republican party and even more shockingly the Democrats would not support him either because he was considered too liberal!

So Lindsay ran the 1969 trace as just the Liberal Party candidate winning 42% in a three way race and won reelection.

Democratic Party - the largest party in New York State
Republican Party - the second largest party in New York State
Independence Party - the third largest party in New York State with over 400,000 members
Conservative Party - the Conservatives usually dominate row C on the ballot in New York State because they usually get the third most votes after the Democrats and the Republicans
Liberal Party - the traditional party for reformers who are upset with the other parties
Working Families - a party that cross endorses Democrats and Republicans that support them on issues like a higher minimum wage, workers rights and the college student debt.
Green Party - minor party, has won races at the local level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections