Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 03:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times

Advertisements

Marsha Blackburn (current Representative from a district that is not mine) is running a terrible TV ad campaign for Bob Corker's job in the Senate. Democrat Phil Bredesen, her opponent, runs TV ads all about jobs and what he's done for Tennessee as the former two-term governor. In other words, he addresses the issues TN voters care most about. Blackburn's current TV ad is about human trafficking, which is a worthy issue for the country, but it hardly affects a large number of Tennessee voters, directly, and can't be high on anyone's issues list. It's like her campaign has no idea on how to sell her outside of her district. Her first ad was an ad about nothing. Meanwhile Bredesen was telling people he'd vote with Trump if he thinks what Trump is doing will help Tennesseans but most of his ads are about businesses that came to TN under his governorship and he ends his ads with "And I'm applying for the job."

If she loses, it won't be Donald Trump's fault. The RNC needs to give her more guidance because she's pissing away that Senate seat right now by talking a Washington DC game to Tennessee voters. Trump should talk to her, too. I'm serious. She seems to need help with her campaign.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:51 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,707,204 times
All of these elections are going to be somewhat of a referendum on Trump. I'm not saying 100% of the vote is simply a party line vote. No. But, voters would be in the right to think that way. When you look at key Senate votes, they generally fall in line with what the party demands.

Which means that a vote for a Republican Senator has more to do with going along with whatever Trump wants (which might be good from a voter's perspective!) voting for a Democratic Senator in a Red State actually brings in a moderating vote to the Senate.

Consider the following:

40 Republican Senators vote with Trump about 90% of the time (many of those opposing votes are for procedural things - so it is closer to 100% of the time.

The remaining 11 Republican Senators vote with Trump about 80-85% of the time.

Now... you'd probably assume that Democrats vote against Trump... 90% of the time. But they don't.

Joe Manchin (Democrat in a red state) supports Trump about 61% of the time.
Heidi Heitkamp (Democrat in a red state) supports Trump about 55% of the time.
Doug Jones (Democrat in a red state) supports Trump about 52% of the time.

And the list goes on. The point is, if TN elects a Democrat - they'll likely have someone that is more in tune with what the people in their state want rather than what the party wants. And that's a good thing for the citizens.

Mind you, the same would be true if we had a Democratic President and Republican Senators in blue states. They are forced to moderate their vote since they actually answer to the people.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:58 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,730,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
All of these elections are going to be somewhat of a referendum on Trump. I'm not saying 100% of the vote is simply a party line vote. No. But, voters would be in the right to think that way. When you look at key Senate votes, they generally fall in line with what the party demands.

Which means that a vote for a Republican Senator has more to do with going along with whatever Trump wants (which might be good from a voter's perspective!) voting for a Democratic Senator in a Red State actually brings in a moderating vote to the Senate.

Consider the following:

40 Republican Senators vote with Trump about 90% of the time (many of those opposing votes are for procedural things - so it is closer to 100% of the time.

The remaining 11 Republican Senators vote with Trump about 80-85% of the time.

Now... you'd probably assume that Democrats vote against Trump... 90% of the time. But they don't.

Joe Manchin (Democrat in a red state) supports Trump about 61% of the time.
Heidi Heitkamp (Democrat in a red state) supports Trump about 55% of the time.
Doug Jones (Democrat in a red state) supports Trump about 52% of the time.

And the list goes on. The point is, if TN elects a Democrat - they'll likely have someone that is more in tune with what the people in their state want rather than what the party wants. And that's a good thing for the citizens.

Mind you, the same would be true if we had a Democratic President and Republican Senators in blue states. They are forced to moderate their vote since they actually answer to the people.
What I really miss is living in a 2-party state where they had to actually COMPETE for the vote. One party states are too beholden to certain interests and don’t listen to the people.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:35 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,707,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
What I really miss is living in a 2-party state where they had to actually COMPETE for the vote. One party states are too beholden to certain interests and don’t listen to the people.
There's fewer and fewer toss-up states (President), toss-up Senate seats or toss-up House seats. Which means that politicians need to listen to and fear us less and less. I detest blanket "yes" votes by Republicans simply because Trump, McConnell and Ryan need them. I equally detest blanket "no" votes by Democrats simply because Schumer and Pelosi require it. I think in the cases where a politician is in "hostile territory" - they are more likely to have their finger on the pulse of their constituents.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Marsha Blackburn (current Representative from a district that is not mine) is running a terrible TV ad campaign for Bob Corker's job in the Senate. Democrat Phil Bredesen, her opponent, runs TV ads all about jobs and what he's done for Tennessee as the former two-term governor. In other words, he addresses the issues TN voters care most about. Blackburn's current TV ad is about human trafficking, which is a worthy issue for the country, but it hardly affects a large number of Tennessee voters, directly, and can't be high on anyone's issues list. It's like her campaign has no idea on how to sell her outside of her district. Her first ad was an ad about nothing. Meanwhile Bredesen was telling people he'd vote with Trump if he thinks what Trump is doing will help Tennesseans but most of his ads are about businesses that came to TN under his governorship and he ends his ads with "And I'm applying for the job."

If she loses, it won't be Donald Trump's fault. The RNC needs to give her more guidance because she's pissing away that Senate seat right now by talking a Washington DC game to Tennessee voters. Trump should talk to her, too. I'm serious. She seems to need help with her campaign.
Sounds like she’s spent more time in DC than in her home state.
Not sure how more help from the RNC would help. What she likely needs is to actually spend some time talking to people at home.

On the bright side, it sounds like she isn’t making any specific promises she wouldn’t keep anyway, so there is that.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,618,080 times
Quote:

I have said in multiple posts Bredesen will win this race. He is a popular former 2 term governor who managed to win a state wide race as a democrat. Blackburn has never run a statewide campaign & has never faced a candidate like Bredesen. Bredesen extensive experience in running a state wide, fundraising, and tons of political connections. Bob Corker not endorsing Blackburn tells you a lot about this race, as he is friends with Bredesen.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:02 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,309,798 times
I don't have a horse in this race, but it's an interesting perspective. The OP clearly believes that if an R doesn't win, the sky is falling. Yet from everything on here and what I've read, Bredesen was a good Governor, a good person, and clearly has the best interests of Tennesseans at heart.

To me, that would far outweigh whatever color the party banner is.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
Quote:

Not from TN. But music to my ears

Old 08-22-2018, 11:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I don't have a horse in this race, but it's an interesting perspective. The OP clearly believes that if an R doesn't win, the sky is falling. Yet from everything on here and what I've read, Bredesen was a good Governor, a good person, and clearly has the best interests of Tennesseans at heart.

To me, that would far outweigh whatever color the party banner is.
Yes and more compromising in Washington might even get Trump to behave better

Old 08-22-2018, 11:21 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,430,401 times
I think the Ds have a decent chance to take the Senate as well as the House. People are sick of the disgusting, criminal maniac in our White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections