Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:59 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
You don't think so??

FAIL! LOL!
As a Hispanic person who speaks Spanish, I concur with River City. Gringo is not a racial slur and would at be, at worst, considered somewhat rude in certain contexts. There's even 'guero/a', which is used mostly to refer to very light-skinned Hispanics and is also not a racial slur.

Conservatives, smh, they get so offended and triggered these days.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:19 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
As a Hispanic person who speaks Spanish, I concur with River City. Gringo is not a racial slur and would at be, at worst, considered somewhat rude in certain contexts. There's even 'guero/a', which is used mostly to refer to very light-skinned Hispanics and is also not a racial slur.

Conservatives, smh, they get so offended and triggered these days.
It's all so confusing now that whether or not something is a slur depends on if someone was offended or not. Used to be it was pretty clear if something was a slur. Now no one has any idea because the goalposts constantly move.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
My cleaning lady's family refers to me as la bolilla. Cracks me up. At least in San Antonio, it's meant as a funny, affectionate term.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
He's banking on a certain proportion of voters thinking he is at least half Hispanic. Notice the yard signs only say Beto and not O'Rourke. He's clearly trying to down play his last name so uninformed voters see a sign and think he's something he isn't. If you don't think this is part of the strategy, then you have an unhealthy trust in the sleazeballs that are ALL federal politicians.
But he's running for state-wide office in a conservative state with historically low Hispanic voter turnout, so how exactly will using the name Beto help him? Shouldn't he switch to Robert if playing name games is the strategy?

And Beto's going to win.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
DUI. Breaking and entering...

Does Beto's Criminal Record "creep you out"?

DUI which he acknowledged and took the required course and doesn't hide at all but speaks of as a grfave mistake (was not convicted).

"Breaking and entering" consisted of he and some of his college buddies jumping a fence on campus and setting off an alarm. Prosecutors declined to prosecute (probably laughing while they did).

All of it in college. Other than that it sounds a bit like a frat boy prank, doesn't creep me out at all. As for the DUI, I assume that President Bush the Younger creeps you out, as well, right?

Old 09-14-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
But he's running for state-wide office in a conservative state with historically low Hispanic voter turnout, so how exactly will using the name Beto help him? Shouldn't he switch to Robert if playing name games is the strategy?

And Beto's going to win.
If Beto does win, it'll likely be because of the surge of voting in the major cities where he's very likely to absolutely decimate Cruz, and the major cities' suburbs that have continued the nationwide trend of moving away from the Republican Party. This petty name game Cruz has going only exposes his own weaknesses in the face of a strong challenger.

In the end, Trump's very high disapproval has given Democrats an opening in places where, just a few years ago, they wouldn't be miles close to competitive. After all, Trump had the weakest showing in 2016 for a Republican in Texas since the 1990's.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:48 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
If Beto does win, it'll likely be because of the surge of voting in the major cities where he's very likely to absolutely decimate Cruz, and the major cities' suburbs that have continued the nationwide trend of moving away from the Republican Party.
Cute, but a myth. Suburbs nationwide have not been trending against the Republican Party. It is true that many suburban areas have become more competitive as they have grown, but on the whole, they have remained at the core of the Republican coalition. Some suburban areas may swing against the GOP in 2018, but those areas are unlikely to be in Texas. Suburban areas in Texas continued to be significantly more conservative than those in the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and Pacific Coast in 2016. In the recent special elections, Democratic performance in Republican-held suburban districts has been underwhelming and inconclusive. Data from the 2016 election show that Trump performed better than Romney among suburban voters in aggregate.

FORBES: It Wasn't Rural 'Hicks' Who Elected Trump: The Suburbs Were -- And Will Remain -- The Real Battleground

CNN: 2016 Exit Polls

THE DAILY BEAST: The Fight for Our Future Belongs to the ’Burbs

Old 09-15-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Cute, but a myth. Suburbs nationwide have not been trending against the Republican Party. It is true that many suburban areas have become more competitive as they have grown, but on the whole, they have remained at the core of the Republican coalition. Some suburban areas may swing against the GOP in 2018, but those areas are unlikely to be in Texas. Suburban areas in Texas continued to be significantly more conservative than those in the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and Pacific Coast in 2016. In the recent special elections, Democratic performance in Republican-held suburban districts has been underwhelming and inconclusive. Data from the 2016 election show that Trump performed better than Romney among suburban voters in aggregate.

FORBES: It Wasn't Rural 'Hicks' Who Elected Trump: The Suburbs Were -- And Will Remain -- The Real Battleground

CNN: 2016 Exit Polls

THE DAILY BEAST: The Fight for Our Future Belongs to the ’Burbs
I was not specific enough when I said "suburbs" broadly. I really mean the professional suburbs (suburbs with above average levels of college-educated Whites particularly). Among White Americans, education has become fairly predictive of whether Ds overperform, or if Rs overperfom (in the case of non-college Whites that have been swinging away from Rs). It's partly why Republicans won't likely hold the House of Representatives in Nov.

It's not a myth and there's actual election data to prove that. Look the election map from 2016. Even in Texas, if you're familiar with what electoral maps have usually looked like in recent presidential elections here you'd notice this phenomenon.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/election-2016-voting-precinct-maps.html

Old 09-15-2018, 12:31 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Drove through Preston Hollow today. Old Preston Hollow and new. The number of Beto signs in front of homes is astonishing. I was shocked.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:43 AM

Attached Thumbnails
Beto O'Roarke explains his position on taking a knee, to veterans, in Houston-img_0228.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections