Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM

4,440 posts, read 5,360,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
DUI which he acknowledged and took the required course and doesn't hide at all but speaks of as a grfave mistake (was not convicted).

"Breaking and entering" consisted of he and some of his college buddies jumping a fence on campus and setting off an alarm. Prosecutors declined to prosecute (probably laughing while they did).

All of it in college. Other than that it sounds a bit like a frat boy prank, doesn't creep me out at all. As for the DUI, I assume that President Bush the Younger creeps you out, as well, right?
His stupid commercial is what annoys me.

This thread like almost all on CD has no substance. We are not talking about issues, as I did earlier we are talking about superficial minion talk.

I doubt he wins but if he does I’ll applaud the group of democrats that do not normally care to vote. Democrats separate and pander and still cannot turn out a great vote with certain groups.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:20 PM

4,440 posts, read 5,360,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Some of them have ancestors who were already here when Texas was Tejas and part of Mexico.

As for Cruz, according to an article I read in the Austin American Statesman, he accused O'Rourke of planning to outlaw bbq. That seemed to reek of desperation even if he claims after the fact that it was a joke.
You do realize Texas was only apart of Mexico when it was independent for 16 years?

History is easily researched.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:23 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,022,661 times
Quote:
So as a Texan, you are saying that you should be speaking Spanish because our ancestors should have learned Spanish (for all I know, mine did, they were a practical sort) and adopted the cultural norms of Mexico, since that is what the culture was when they moved here? Or the Spanish before them should have adopted the culture of the Native Americans that they found (rather than slaughtering them wholesale)?

Listen, I get the "do NOT move somewhere and then, regardless of the wishes of the folks who were there for a long time before you, try to change it into where you came from" thing. I really really really do - just ask anyone here. But making inaccurate claims does not help and is counterproductive to your goal.
The Spanish and Anglos were essentially another tribe of "Native Americans", just the tribe that won the long battle. Mexicans invited Anglos to settle Texas because they didn't want to fight the Indians themselves. Mexicans have all of Mexico to live in, but it is telling that they choose to come here. Maybe they should respect out culture if they like it so much. You sound like a traitor to "your" country.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
You spoke of the country which we founded. It was founded by the Spanish before your ancestors (or mine) ever got here.
I am a descendant of Ponce de Leon himself, so speak for yourself please. Anyways, the Spanish who founded Texas and their descendants have little to do with the people who are calling whites "gringo". They assimilated centuries ago. Most of them don't even care to know Spanish anymore.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Some of them have ancestors who were already here when Texas was Tejas and part of Mexico.

As for Cruz, according to an article I read in the Austin American Statesman, he accused O'Rourke of planning to outlaw bbq. That seemed to reek of desperation even if he claims after the fact that it was a joke.
Again, I am a descendant of Ponce de Leon. Where is my claim to land? Is the only thing that matters about somebody's right to live there just the fact that their ancestors did? Can I start kicking people out of Europe since my ancestors once lived there?

Of course, the truth is, only non white people get this fictional claim .

Old 09-18-2018, 03:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The Spanish and Anglos were essentially another tribe of "Native Americans", just the tribe that won the long battle. Mexicans invited Anglos to settle Texas because they didn't want to fight the Indians themselves. Mexicans have all of Mexico to live in, but it is telling that they choose to come here. Maybe they should respect out culture if they like it so much. You sound like a traitor to "your" country.

Ummm, no. You really need to study your history because you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. About much of anything, it appears.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I am a descendant of Ponce de Leon himself, so speak for yourself please. Anyways, the Spanish who founded Texas and their descendants have little to do with the people who are calling whites "gringo". They assimilated centuries ago. Most of them don't even care to know Spanish anymore.

Somehow I doubt it. And he has nothing to do with Texas or Mexico anyway.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:56 PM

716 posts, read 541,129 times
the country was not founded by the Spanish - it was occupied by them in the 16 century. The Spanish killed off the Aztecs in the 1500's - Mexico became a sovereign nation in 1821

It occupied parts of the US but that was put to bed by the war1846 and Mexico gave up the territory

Old 09-18-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Ummm, no. You really need to study your history because you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. About much of anything, it appears.
How are they any different? They all fought for land against each other

Old 09-19-2018, 06:37 AM

716 posts, read 541,129 times
Flores defeats Gallego in Senate District 19
By Dylan McGuinness Updated 10:27 pm CDT, Tuesday, September 18, 2018

the win solidifies a super majority in the senate

Christian Archer, Gallego’s campaign strategist, said he was shocked by the results, adding that they weren’t able to generate as much excitement as the Republicans.

yea we might be loud and might not have signs in every yard but we know what its best for our families and our country

by beto-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections