Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 9 days ago)

8,397 posts, read 5,553,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
And the beat goes on:

“That injustice, to many more people here than I know firsthand, continues to persist today,” Beto O’Rourke said. “That system of suspending somebody, solely based on the color of their skin, searching that person solely based on the color of their skin, stopping that person solely based on the color of their skin, shooting that person solely based on the color of their skin, throwing the book at that person and letting them rot behind bars solely based on the color of their skin, is why some have called this — I think it is an apt description — the new Jim Crow.”

Beto O'Rourke at Prairie View A&M on 9/19/18

I'm thinking he's not going to get the Texas Rangers' vote (and I don't mean the baseball team).
Im trying to find whats racist about that....

Old 09-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 22 days ago)

35,705 posts, read 18,057,688 times
Default Did anyone watch the Beto/Cruz senatorial debate last night?

I was just frustrated.

It becomes clear why Trump dubbed Ted Cruz "Lyin' Ted". What a jackass.

So at the beginning, the crowd was allowed to cheer as the candidates were introduced, and then were instructed to hold their applause and reaction. The crowd was very evenly divided cheering for Beto and Cruise.

But as can be predicted, the Beto crowd was respectfully silent and the Cruz crowd acted like they were at a football game and ignored the innumerable warnings to please, please hold your reaction. The audience members mirror the character of the candidates.

And so, like so often, nice guys finish last.

I didn't think Beto did all that well, because he was reluctant to continue to call Cruz a liar, which he did at one point.

Best question? "Ted Cruz, it's been pointed out that although Trump called your wife ugly, and your father a murderer, and called you "lyin' Ted" you are still publicly seeking his approval. How do you react to those who say you've lost your dignity"?

Whew. That was a fabulous question, although admittedly partisan.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:43 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,913,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I was just frustrated.

It becomes clear why Trump dubbed Ted Cruz "Lyin' Ted". What a jackass.

So at the beginning, the crowd was allowed to cheer as the candidates were introduced, and then were instructed to hold their applause and reaction. The crowd was very evenly divided cheering for Beto and Cruise.

But as can be predicted, the Beto crowd was respectfully silent and the Cruz crowd acted like they were at a football game and ignored the innumerable warnings to please, please hold your reaction. The audience members mirror the character of the candidates.

And so, like so often, nice guys finish last.

I didn't think Beto did all that well, because he was reluctant to continue to call Cruz a liar, which he did at one point.

Best question? "Ted Cruz, it's been pointed out that although Trump called your wife ugly, and your father a murderer, and called you "lyin' Ted" you are still publicly seeking his approval. How do you react to those who say you've lost your dignity"?

Whew. That was a fabulous question, although admittedly partisan.
I watched the debate. What you said about Cruz supporters isn't true and it's sleazy of you to make it about his supporters because you don't like Cruz.

And your best question comment is a joke. Nothing to do with policy. All because you don't like Cruz.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Just curious...how did Cruz respond the the question?

Old 09-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 22 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I watched the debate. What you said about Cruz supporters isn't true and it's sleazy of you to make it about his supporters because you don't like Cruz.

And your best question comment is a joke. Nothing to do with policy. All because you don't like Cruz.
I can not STAND Cruz, you got that right, and it's embarrassing to me that it's likely he'll win. Embarrasses me that my beloved state has a majority of voters who approve of that sleaze.

And you're wrong about the behavior of the crowd. The Beto crowd was largely silent, and the Cruz crowd had to be admonished 5+ times to stop interrupting the process.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Just curious...how did Cruz respond the the question?
He actually responded VERY well - I'm sure he was prepared to answer that - maybe not stated so disrespectfully, but that question in general.

He said his wife is the most beautiful woman he's ever seen, he adores his father who's in the audience today, and he doesn't let that interfere with "getting things done". Stated that he can still work with the president in an official capacity to do his job regardless of personal conflict.

Something like that. Really, quite a good response.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I can not STAND Cruz, you got that right, and it's embarrassing to me that it's likely he'll win. Embarrasses me that my beloved state has a majority of voters who approve of that sleaze.

And you're wrong about the behavior of the crowd. The Beto crowd was largely silent, and the Cruz crowd had to be admonished 5+ times to stop interrupting the process.
lol That's not true. Again, I watched the debate and people cheered after what Beto said also. Ted Cruz isn't the one lying here.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:55 AM

15,652 posts, read 10,425,074 times
I watched the debate. Ted is one of my senators. I thought both men did a good job of presenting their political priorities, so I won't watch any more of their debates.

Texans will decide if we want to remain a conservative, republican state by re-electing ted or venture into a progressive future by electing beto.

I'm voting for ted. In fact, straight republican, and hope fellow Texas citizens will do the same. while I don't agree with ted on some major issues, beto's political views are the antithesis of how I want texas represented in the senate.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol That's not true. Again, I watched the debate and people cheered after what Beto said also. Ted Cruz isn't the one lying here.
At one point, the Cruzers even jeered Beto.

Honestly, you'd think those people were at a Jerry Springer show.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
At one point, the Cruzers even jeered Beto.

Honestly, you'd think those people were at a Jerry Springer show.
Again, I watched the debate.

Again, What you said about Cruz supporters isn't true and it's sleazy of you to make it about his supporters because you don't like Cruz.

Honestly doesn't belong in your posts in this thread. It's always about policy. All because you don't like Cruz.

Just to be clear, I'm not in Cruzs corner. He's the lessor of two evils but as long as he takes the aggressive anti Tea Party stanch in the Middle East I wont vote for him.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 09-22-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections