Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:09 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times

Advertisements

Beto made a good appearance and stuck to his "we can do better" theme.

Cruz was his smarmy, lying, repulsive self. He can't hide his unlikeability.

I doubt that either expanded his "base" but it will be interesting to see what new polls reveal about which way independents lean after this debate.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:38 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I agree with that 100%! But, do you really think that Republicans are the “leave me the F alone” party. They seem to care more about keeping gays in the closet, keeping racial minorities down, overspending taxpayer money for powerful business interests and defense industry and imposing their crude christian religion onto every citizen. Illegals have ruined the Dem party which once stood for working Americans.
I'm not talking about the political party, I'm talking about everyday average conservative Republicans like myself who don't give a damn if gay people get married, don't try to "keep minorities down" or impose anything on anyone else.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:40 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,730,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Beto held his own
He is more empathetic and more positive
Cruz tried to smear Beto any chance he got by linking him to HRC or Bernie Saunders vs addressing Beto's policies
He repeated misrepresentations about Beto's policies every chance he got and drifted off-topic on at least 3 of the questions--because the answer would not really have served his purpose

The crowd WAS more pro Cruz--
It was at SMU for gosh sake's and while there are some counter-culture students there, most are as conservative as any Highland Park millionaire...

I thought the two moderators (the guy especially) were not good at keeping Cruz in check
He did abuse the time rules
Beto hit the time limit pretty much spot on with all his responses including the ones with shorter allotments

The one time Beto really missed zinging Cruz was when Beto mentioned Ted had been to every county in Iowa when he was campaigning for the GOP nomination but not to every TX county--
That Cruz had missed more than 50% of the Senate votes in 2017--and what person stays hired at work if he misses 50% of his work time
Cruz mentioned in his rebuttal all the times he was in TX--
Well it was all the disasters--the hurricane, the West explosion, the church shooting--
All just photo ops for Ted...
He has done 0 town halls open to ANY Texan--
He won't do them because he is afraid of those who dislike his politics and performance showing up
He only does arranged events with carefully screened audience members--usually high $$ donors...

THAT should have been part of Beto's remarks...
Yes. Thanks for pointing that out. SMU is chokingly conservative. It’s safe to say that they quash any kind of dissent that might surface there. Those kids are the whitest, richest brats of Texas and they are not a Beto crowd.
I am staying at my sister’s this weekend and I must say that I felt really good about what I saw. My sister has lived in this rich neighborhood (Deerfield) since 2001. I’ve seen dozens of political signs in the front yards over the years, but have never seen the amount of signs that I’ve seen for Beto. Out of the 25-30 houses that I drove past by to get to sister’s, I noticed that there were 5-6 Beto signs and only 1 Raffy Cruz- put out by the same crusty old buzzard that puts the Repub sign out in every contest. Signs don’t vote- people do. But, it’s a sign to me that there is some interest in a neighborhood that hasn’t existed here as long as I’ve noticed.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm not talking about the political party, I'm talking about everyday average conservative Republicans like myself who don't give a damn if gay people get married, don't try to "keep minorities down" or impose anything on anyone else.
Lol- Tell that to your party. They are always diluting the economic messages (which are good) with their exclusionary social, religious crap.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Democrats don't support "open borders"
Yes, yes they do.

Quote:
Even Cruz defended using immigration labor before Trump showed up
Cruz HAD been one of he more progressive Senators because he knows Texas farming needs migrant/cheap labor...
Democrats support FAIR taxes
What freedoms do you think Democrats want to take away
Freedom to be shot in your own church by guy who never should have been able to buy a rifle???
Is that a right--dying because you are in the wrong place at the wrong time--guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment?
Cruz has defended immigration, legal immigration... democrats purposely equate legal immigration to illegal immigration in order to push the agenda of amnesty. I don't know a single person who isn't fine with documented, legal immigration into this country. Democrats support higher taxes on everyone, not just the rich like you want people to believe. The current administration and the GOP pushed through tax cuts for all Americans, Democrats have spent the last year lying to the American public about crumbs and about how it was only for the rich when it benefits everyone in the nation. Democrats have lied about how the tax cuts for the rich are permanent but they're temporary for the poor, in reality the GOP was forced to make them temporary in order to get them through procedure and passed. People like Ted Cruz have proposed legislation to make those cuts permanent and people like you attack him for it.

Democrats would love to take away the right to defend your home, family and yourself with a firearm. Democrats openly attack the 2nd amendment with lies and half-truths while trying to tug at people's heartstrings with stories like you posted above. I will decide how to protect my family, not you.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, yes they do.

Cruz has defended immigration, legal immigration... democrats purposely equate legal immigration to illegal immigration in order to push the agenda of amnesty. I don't know a single person who isn't fine with documented, legal immigration into this country. Democrats support higher taxes on everyone, not just the rich like you want people to believe. The current administration and the GOP pushed through tax cuts for all Americans, Democrats have spent the last year lying to the American public about crumbs and about how it was only for the rich when it benefits everyone in the nation. Democrats have lied about how the tax cuts for the rich are permanent but they're temporary for the poor, in reality the GOP was forced to make them temporary in order to get them through procedure and passed. People like Ted Cruz have proposed legislation to make those cuts permanent and people like you attack him for it.

Democrats would love to take away the right to defend your home, family and yourself with a firearm. Democrats openly attack the 2nd amendment with lies and half-truths while trying to tug at people's heartstrings with stories like you posted above. I will decide how to protect my family, not you.
Repubs ARE indeed much better for my pocketbook, but I happen to value having personal freedom and living in a free society. In my opinion, Obama was wimpy and could have done so much more with his 8 years. One thing that he could have done is dismantle the oppressive TSA and choked off the IRS. Dems favor a “progressive” tax system which favors deadbeats of every color, illegals and knocked up incubators with baby daddies.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Repubs ARE indeed much better for my pocketbook, but I happen to value having personal freedom and living in a free society. In my opinion, Obama was wimpy and could have done so much more with his 8 years. One thing that he could have done is dismantle the oppressive TSA and choked off the IRS. Dems favor a “progressive” tax system which favors deadbeats of every color, illegals and knocked up incubators with baby daddies.
Obama would never think of choking off the IRS, he used it to attack his political opponents and conservatives.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 AM

502 posts, read 392,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
no it fascinating how liberals apply the double standard to their politicians

you dont hear them complain about Cory Booker who admitted he grouped women

same with this farce with fineswine and Kavanaugh
He admitted that he put women into groups?

Old 09-23-2018, 11:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,444,539 times
A quick google of "Beto" and "cotton gin" turned up the first two hits (and several others) as Breitbart. Enough said about credibility?

I searched further and found the specific supposedly "racist" comment. (I found several video snippets clearly intended to push an anti-Beto agenda, but also the entire 30 minute video of him visiting the cotton gin, which I intend to watch later today to get the facts. Remember them, southeasttexas? Facts? Pesky things they can be.)

“I mentioned going to the high school in Roscoe, I also went to the cotton gin in Roscoe,” he said. “And at that cotton gin, there are 24 jobs and the manager of that gin says it does not matter the wages that I pay or the number of hours that we set … no one born in Roscoe … or Texas or this country who is willing to work. But there are immigrants who are coming from Central America or Mexico or other parts of the world to Roscoe to work these jobs and to help build our economy.”

Old 09-23-2018, 03:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
Quote:
Yes, yes they do.

PLEASE don't tell me what I as a life-long Democrat believe in

I am so tired of GOP rhetoric
Please don't spout any more of it like a broken faucet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections