Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 04:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

Second debate postponed because Cruz thought there would be vote Saturday in DC on BK

Watching Hulu streaming and getting Beto ads on the breaks
Interesting dynamic to choose Hulu
Don't know if they can choose which programs they air on
I am watching "Harrow"
Crime--police pathologist investigates crimes but also has one to cover up
Ioan Gryffudd who played "Hornblower" on BBC and had a US series about a NYC forensic pathologist who never aged--
Not a vampire
Interesting and liked it
Judd Hirsch played his son who was adopted after WWII and in the show was currently in his late 70s...

Anyway
Have not seen any Cruz ads running on Hulu
Different voting dynamic?

Old 09-29-2018, 04:52 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I am nothing if not fair, to a fault, actually.

So I went back and listened to the entirety of the debate again. And that's one hour I won't ever get back. :-/

I wanted to go back and relook - to see if I just imagined the Cruz crowd was rowdy and rude, compared to the Beto crowd. At the beginning, when the candidates were introduced, and cheering was allowed, there was equal cheering for Cruz and Beto. So I think we can assume approx equal numbers of supporters of each in the audience.

Here are the numbers:

Incidents of sustained disruptive reaction:

Cruz - 12 Beto - 4

Incidents of brief, nondisruptive reaction, by a few members:

Cruz - 10 Beto - 12

Incidents of jeering/negative reaction:

Cruz - 5 Beto - 0

And other observations:

Incidence of jeering laughter by the candidate:

Cruz - 2 Beto - 0

Times candidate had to be verbally told more than once he was out of time, while he kept talking:

Cruz - 7 Beto - 0

Incidents where the candidate had to be told by the other he had his facts wrong or was outright lying:

Cruz - 5 Beto - 0

*Note, I forgave each candidate the long sustained applause at the very end of their 90 second conclusive statement, because that seemed expected.

So. Loveshiscountry. Do you backtrack that Cruz's audience was much less well-behaved than Beto's?

Good job!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:20 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Anyone know how you pronounce Beto?

Is it BEEto
or BAYto?
a short e sound, like egg. beh toe

Old 09-29-2018, 09:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Anyone know how you pronounce Beto?

Is it BEEto
or BAYto?
It's BETT-oh

Old 09-29-2018, 10:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Lots of Beto stuff at the State Fair Classic today...

Old 09-30-2018, 07:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Beto and Willy Nelson appeared in Austin last night and drew a crowd of 55,000.

How big was tRump's crowd in WV?

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...te/1475214002/

Old 09-30-2018, 08:16 AM

550 posts, read 368,594 times
O'Rourke was an undistinguished Congressman who never held a leadership position or successfully pushed through any piece of significant legislation.

He did have the good sense to marry someone whose father is a billionaire and now has the money to fund his campaign.

That's proving to be a good investment for his father-in-law. O'Rourke tried as an El Paso councilman to help his father-in-law use eminent domain so the latter could push a lucrative redevelopment scheme. Per Dallas newspaper: 'The redevelopment plan fizzled amid public backlash and the financial crisis of 2008.'

He couldn't even get a city ordinance passed.

By the way, O'Rourke, however, opposes eminent domain to build a wall with Mexico.
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...all/731314001/.

He's an empty suit who may appeal to enough empty-headed voters to win an election.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
O'Rourke was an undistinguished Congressman who never held a leadership position or successfully pushed through any piece of significant legislation.

He did have the good sense to marry someone whose father is a billionaire and now has the money to fund his campaign.

That's proving to be a good investment for his father-in-law. O'Rourke tried as an El Paso councilman to help his father-in-law use eminent domain so the latter could push a lucrative redevelopment scheme. Per Dallas newspaper: 'The redevelopment plan fizzled amid public backlash and the financial crisis of 2008.'

He couldn't even get a city ordinance passed.

By the way, O'Rourke, however, opposes eminent domain to build a wall with Mexico.
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...all/731314001/.

He's an empty suit who may appeal to enough empty-headed voters to win an election.

He is STILL a much better option than Cruz, who I really dislike. I certainly don't agree with Beto on his illegal immigration policy and giving citizenship to the Dreamers. But, I'm willing to give him a chance. Ideally, I'd like Texas to return to a two-party state which it used to be when I was a young man. Having two viable parties that could meet in the middle would keep them honest and they'd have to EARN the votes of Texans all across the map.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:20 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's BETT-oh

Thanks

Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair

Beto supported redevelopment of that dumpy area of downtown El Paso, and incentives to help it happen, but DID NOT support eminent domain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections