Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:24 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,667,015 times

Advertisements

I did some minor campaign volunteering for Beto recently and got a look at how organized and energized his "ground game" is. The depth of voter info they have is surprising and they're really going full speed ahead in getting out the vote among likely Beto supporters.

Very impressive.

But polls show he still has some ground to make up before election day.

The next 3 weeks should be fun.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:28 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,667,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
It's obvious you didn't read my sources regarding Beto's integrity. He and his family are not well regarded in El Paso.
How much you wanna bet?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:14 AM

41,011 posts, read 49,502,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
New ad for PAC "FIRE TED CRUZ"
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...=NEWSSTAND0001

Directed by Austin filmmaker Richard Linklater
Pretty much what a real Texan (which I am) thinks of Ted Cruz for sucking up to Trump after Trump denigrated his wife and father...
Never liked Cruz but he totally put his tough talk image in the crapper all on his own after Trump won...
Do you recall all the trash talk and name calling between Hillary and Obama during the 2008 Election. Once Obama won the nomination then it became a love fest.

Hillarys campaign was the one who started all the birther talk.

This is what Politicians do but you ignore when your Dem buddies pull these shenanigans.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 AM

24,228 posts, read 15,293,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Do you recall all the trash talk and name calling between Hillary and Obama during the 2008 Election. Once Obama won the nomination then it became a love fest.

This is what Politicians do but you ignore when your Dem buddies pull these shenanigans.
Did anybody accuse the other's parent of being in on the plot to murder a POTUS?

Sometimes it is appropriate to kiss and make up.

Sometime horrible things are said that should never be forgiven.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:11 AM

26,576 posts, read 14,531,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

no they weren't.

altho there were hillary supporters among the early birthers ( the PUMAs ) neither clinton or her campaign did anything to promote birtherism.

Barackryphal: The Secret Origin of the Birthers

Old 10-10-2018, 10:24 AM

949 posts, read 579,246 times
Debates are not the proper way to determine the credibility of a candidate. Debates are scripted events that have a long preparatory time. Even if someone does poorly in a debate their backers will come to aid them immediately.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:42 PM

7,851 posts, read 4,611,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Debates are not the proper way to determine the credibility of a candidate. Debates are scripted events that have a long preparatory time. Even if someone does poorly in a debate their backers will come to aid them immediately.
Well, there are always the Town Hall format, but apparently Ted doesn't care for those either. He just cancelled next week's appearance:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018...oct-18-mcallen

Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM

24,228 posts, read 15,293,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeandNatureWalks View Post
At first listen, I find Beto's phrasing annoying. He doesn't take a breath between sentences, thoughts or paragraphs and seemed to talk over Ted. From the video shared, I feel Ted had a more solid presentation. Besides, it sounds like Beto wants to take away 2nd Amendment rights. Can't imagine any true Texan finding that acceptable.
Nobody in their right mind would try to take away any person's 2nd amendment rights. That's just right wing BS to get their troops reed up.

rather than parroting talking points, why don't you go to his site and see what he thinks?

There is a Cruz commercial running in Houston that is outright lies.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:27 PM

7,537 posts, read 4,413,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Nobody in their right mind would try to take away any person's 2nd amendment rights. That's just right wing BS to get their troops reed up.

rather than parroting talking points, why don't you go to his site and see what he thinks?

There is a Cruz commercial running in Houston that is outright lies.
Quote:
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."--Diane Feinstein, U.S. Senator from California

"Concern that a national standing army might pose a threat to the security of separate states led to the adoption of that amendment, which provides that a 'well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed,'" Stevens wrote. "Today that concern is a relic of the 18th century."--John Paul Stevens, retired justice of the Supreme Court

In an op-ed published in the New York Times Tuesday, the 97-year-old former Supreme Court justice argues that advocates for stricter gun control legislation should take the next step and demand the removal of the Second Amendment entirely.--http://time.com/5216782/john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment/

"Instead, we should ban possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons, we should buy back such weapons from all who choose to abide by the law, and we should criminally prosecute any who choose to defy it by keeping their weapons," he wrote. "The ban would not apply to law enforcement agencies or shooting clubs."--Eric Swalwell, Congressman from California

“I believe…..this is my final word……I believe that I’m supporting the Constitution of the United States which does not give the right for any individual to own a handgun….”--Jan Schakowsky, U.S. Representative from Illinois

“No, we’re not looking at how to control criminals … we’re talking about banning the AK-47 and semi-automatic guns.”--Howard Metzenbaum, former U.S. Senator

“If a bill to ban handguns came to the house floor, I would vote for it.”--Pete Stark, U.S. Representative from California

” …we need much stricter gun control, and eventually should bar the ownership of handguns”--William Clay, U.S. Representative from Missouri

“Banning guns is an idea whose time has come.”--Joseph Biden, Vice President of the United States

“I shortly will introduce legislation banning the sale, manufacture or possession of handguns (with exceptions for law enforcement and licensed target clubs)… . It is time to act. We cannot go on like this. Ban them!”--John Chafee, Former U.S. Senator from Rhode Island

“We have to start with a ban on the manufacturing and import of handguns. From there we register the guns which are currently owned, and follow that with additional bans and acquisitions of handguns and rifles with no sporting purpose.”--Major Owens, U.S. Representative from New York

“My staff and I right now are working on a comprehensive gun-control bill. We don’t have all the details, but for instance, regulating the sale and purchase of bullets. Ultimately, I would like to see the manufacture and possession of handguns banned except for military and police use. But that’s the endgame. And in the meantime, there are some specific things that we can do with legislation.”--Bobby Rush, U.S. Representative from Illinois

“Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe. The National Guard fulfills the militia mentioned in the Second amendment. Citizens no longer need to protect the states or themselves.”--Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator from California

“All of this has to be understood as part of a process leading ultimately to a treaty that will give an international body power over our domestic laws.”--Charles Pashayan, U.S. Representative from California

“Confiscation could be an option…mandatory sale to the state could be an option.”--Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York

"It may take a generation, but guns will eventually be taken off the streets through new laws"-- San Diego Police Chief William Lansdowne

"My view of guns is simple. I hate guns and I cannot imagine why anyone would want to own one. If I had my way, guns for sport would be registered, and all other guns would be banned."-- Deborah Prothrow-Stith (Dean of Harvard School of Public Health)

“I don’t believe people should be able to own guns.”-- Barack Obama (during conversation with economist and author John Lott Jr. at the University of Chicago Law School in the 1990s)

"A gun-control movement worthy of the name would insist that President Clinton move beyond his proposals for controls ... and immediately call on Congress to pass far-reaching industry regulation like the Firearms Safety and Consumer Protection Act ... [which] would give the Treasury Department health and safety authority over the gun industry, and any rational regulator with that authority would ban handguns."
- Josh Sugarmann (executive director of the Violence Policy Center)

"We need a new paradigm because both sides are in the corner and they could come to the middle," "Those of who are pro-gun control have to admit that there is a Second Amendment right to bear arms... once we establish that there is a constitutional right to bear arms we should have the right admit, and maybe they'll be more willing to admit, that no amendment is absolute after all."--Chuck Schumer, U.S. Senator from New York

"We can't just stand behind you and say we support our men and women in law enforcement community and then not have the laws on the books that help you do your job every day," "And it's time as a city we have an assault weapon ban. And it's time as a state that we have an assault weapon ban. And it's time as a country that we have an assault weapon ban."--Rahm Emanuel, Mayor Chicago, Illinois

"We need to do something, at the very least, perhaps, about the high-capacity magazines that were used in this crime."--Richard Blumenthal, U.S. Senator from Connecticut

“I don’t care if you want to hunt. I don’t care if you think it’s your right. I say, ‘Sorry.’ It is 1999. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison.--Rosie O'Donnell, Comedian

"We cannot let a minority of people—and that’s what it is, it is a minority of people—hold a viewpoint that terrorizes the majority of people." On Australia's gun ban: "So I think that’s worth considering," Clinton said. "I don’t know enough details to tell you how we would do it or how it would work. But certainly, the Australian example is worth considering."----Hillary Clinton

George Stephanopoulos pushed Clinton twice on whether people have a right to own guns on ABC News’ "This Week": “But that's not what I asked. I said do you believe that their conclusion that an individual's right to bear arms is a constitutional right?” Clinton could only say: “If it is a constitutional right...” Note the word: "IF"

"I can find nothing in the Second Amendment’s text, history, or underlying rationale that could warrant characterizing it as ‘fundamental’ insofar as it seeks to protect the keeping and bearing of arms for private self-defense purposes.”--Steven Breyer, Supreme Court Justice
Quote:
Beto O'Rourke on the 2nd Amendment:
"This is as politically charged as it comes in Texas, and this is how I hope you know that I have the courage of my convictions because I'm willing to do this," he said. "I cosponsored the assault-weapons ban. Now, I understand there are many Texans who own these AR-15s, and some of them are very good friends of mine that I've been out shooting with. And they say, ‘Beto, why are you going to prevent me from buying a gun? I haven't hurt anybody. I haven't shot anybody. I keep this gun in a gun locker. I teach my kids gun safety. How could you do this because there's some crazy, evil person in Florida or Sutherland Springs or Las Vegas or pick the next city it's gonna to happen in?' I say, ‘You know what? You're right. We have the Second Amendment, and it's incredibly important, but the Second Amendment is not unlimited. You cannot carry a bazooka down the street. You cannot drive your tank down the street because we have a Second Amendment. There's gonna have to be some rational limit to our ability that keeps more people in our communities safe and alive.'"
Then it stands to reason that nobody in their right mind would vote for and support those or like thinking individuals? But I'm willing to Beto that you do?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-17-2018 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 07:57 PM

41,011 posts, read 49,502,140 times
By now 100% of the people who are going to vote in TX know who they are going to vote for. All the ads in the world will not do any good for Beto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections