Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:39 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

It's distressing to me to think there are so many one issue voters, but you are probably right. It's sad because there are more issues at hand than just picking the one that is most important to you and each issue is important.

My neighbor says he wants his tax dollars to go towards health care, not the latest technology in military. I said, fine and dandy, but as a result of having an outdated military in the event of an attack and the country is overtaken by a not so 'free thinking' country, I would think at that time health care would be the least of your concerns.

I'm not a pot smoker, but if I were, I would hate to think I voted for someone based solely on the fact they are for legalizing marijuana.

There's no free anything, someone is paying or it and that someone is all of us, not just taxpayers. Most people know how and a lot of them are in the position to recoup their tax dollars by increasing their prices to the public which is how everyone at some point is involved. So, being able to buy legal marijuana may sound great to some people, but if the country goes bankrupt (or we could go into another Great Depression, who knows) and you don't have a thin dime in your pockets, I don't think being able to go to the corner store and buy a bag of pot is going to benefit you any.

I listen to some of these political commercials and they just spill out one thing after another that they want to do for this country. Let's see, there's refuge to the hordes of illegal immigrants needing food/shelter (which they don't won't to say this, but it will take more law enforcement to try and protect us from the criminal element coming in with them to do us harm and there will be some, don't kid yourself, so overall, talking big bucks here). IDK I guess they just focused on every group out there and came up with what they thought they could offer to each of them that they'd be most interested in so they could lure their vote in (like women's issues, disability and senior issues, etc. and oh yeah, that voter who wants his legal marijuana. I guess a chicken in every pot. So, I say it sounds like party time, but again, who's going to be paying for all of this? The government (that'd be us chickens) is broke now or damn near it.

I will say I don't always agree with everything a candidate is or isn't for, but I would hate to think I'd vote for anyone based on the one issue that was the most important to me. I look at the entire picture and that's what everyone should do. Why? Because it is important.

When people ask what the hell is wrong with this country anymore, I guess we can say, well, everyone just picked the one thing they wanted most and then voted for the person who said they wanted to give it to them. Sad, sad, sad day.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:09 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
I voted for Beto on Monday.

Since then, I've spent a few hours going door-to-door to get out the vote.

I'm optimistic, if not confident.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:24 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Shouldn't you have asked in the Texas forum?

Old 10-26-2018, 06:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
As a one issue voter, I voted for Beto because he is open to legalizing marijuana.

I always find this interesting and it's not just in Texas. Druggies ONLY care about one issue - Legalize Drugs - it was true with Ron Paul, it's true all over the Nation.

As for the Texas vote - the early vote in Texas is leading the Nation as of 10/25/18 -1,800,000
Some vote for Sovereignty, some vote for Drugs, some vote for the Leftists, some vote for Law and Order, some vote for TEXAS, some vote for some sort of Ideology.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out ..... I suspect the "one issue" voters lose if it's all about the Drugs. That's just not a good enough reason to go Leftist in Texas. Texas is MORE than just "drugs for most of it's Citizens.

I also believe that the Federal Government needs to understand that this "druggie" thing is a big issue for all States and change the Federal Laws to allow States to decide what they want to do for their own Citizens. Let the Citizens decide what they want for their own States.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:55 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

At the voting location here, the volunteers told us that they'd been super busy all day and that they'd had - in one day - a bigger turnout than they usually have all week. And this is for day 1 in EARLY voting. The "main vote" hasn't even happened yet.

For the first time in my life I went to a political rally last night, and it was very interesting. Absolutely PACKED as well - probably about 1000 people. The venue had originally set up 100 chairs. 100. Then they went and got 400 more and set them up, and still, there were TONS of people standing - probably as many standing behind the chairs as there were sitting in them. Very well behaved but engaged crowd.
Wow, imagine the logistics of getting 400 chairs in an hour.

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-26-2018 at 07:05 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 07:03 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I voted for Beto on Monday.

Since then, I've spent a few hours going door-to-door to get out the vote.

I'm optimistic, if not confident.

I may have voted for Beto if he was running for governor or lieutenant governor, but not for senator. If he has presidential aspirations, why not go for governor? I know I always prefer to vote for a former governor over a senator for president, and I think that’s true of a lot of people.

I do not want endless investigations and impeachment hearings.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Wow, imagine the logistics of getting 400 chairs in an hour.

Hey, they did it - they were steadily setting up chairs while we were there - we helped them in fact. There was still standing room only for at least a third of the folks, maybe even half.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:39 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Shouldn't you have asked in the Texas forum?
It was originally posted in the Texas forum before being moved.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:10 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I voted Tuesday morning at Randall's on Brodie at Slaughter in far South Austin. Took about 30 mins.

Since so many folks are one issue voters - abortions and illegal immigration - I decided I was going to be a one issue voter as well and think only of myself and the heck with everybody else, just like they do.

As a one issue voter, I voted for Beto because he is open to legalizing marijuana.

If all the pot smokers banned together as one united voting bloc of one issue voters, we might be one of largest voting blocs there is, when you take into consideration that pot smokers come in all political affiliations and ideologies, ages, races, religions, sexual genders, nationalities, income levels, occupations and just about every other category you can think of.

The legalization of weed issue has much more direct personal effect on most pot smokers than abortions and illegal immigration ever did have or ever will.
Any smot-pokers from Texas who are willing to vote for Cruz, you can take a bus to Denver Colorado problem solved.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:36 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Any smot-pokers from Texas who are willing to vote for Cruz, you can take a bus to Denver Colorado problem solved.
Should Texans get healthcare from Colorado too when Cruz votes along with the GOP to remove pre-existing conditions from health coverage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections