Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will become the next governor of Florida?
Andrew Gillum 43 44.79%
Ron DeSantis 53 55.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 07:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times

Advertisements

Early voting/absentee voting turnout for Ds in Florida trails R turnout by approx 28k as of today. However, for the past week R turnout was approx 60k higher than D. D is closing the gap in Fl for early voting/absentee. Total Florida turnout is almost 5 million for early/absentee for all.

In prior Florida mid-term elections, there's usually a larger gap with R having higher turnout than D.

2014 mid-term general election, early/absentee, R's had 90k more voters than Ds in Florida.

Many Florida voters are not D or R.

https://countyballotfiles.elections....ts/PublicStats

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...221015740.html

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-04-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 07:28 AM

126 posts, read 142,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Nowhere in the article you posted does it quote either Gillum or King saying they would defend the migrant caravan.
Did you even bother to read the article or just the headline?

Yellow journalism.

Paint the picture anyway you want they still want to accept these "illegal" as legals. Get a clue

Old 11-04-2018, 09:04 AM

3,074 posts, read 1,306,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Early voting/absentee voting turnout for Ds in Florida trails R turnout by approx 28k as of today. However, for the past week R turnout was approx 60k higher than D. D is closing the gap in Fl for early voting/absentee. Total Florida turnout is almost 5 million for early/absentee for all.

In prior Florida mid-term elections, there's usually a larger gap with R having higher turnout than D.

2014 mid-term general election, early/absentee, R's had 90k more voters than Ds in Florida.

Many Florida voters are not D or R.

https://countyballotfiles.elections....ts/PublicStats

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...221015740.html
I still expect Gillum and Nelson to win. Too many pundits are pointing to 2016 when if you look at 2014 and 2010 Republicans were blowing away Dems at this range. Republicans tend to lead early in non presidential years and trail in presidential ones. Most of the media is missing this fact. I’m guessing Dems will be up 10,000 or so after everything is in today following the souls vote and some counties who didn’t report yesterday report late today. The bad news here is that Florida is THE state that Dems should have had the easiest time winning these elections and it’s tighter than I ever expected. The combination of red tide, Puerto Rican migration, and just DeSantis’ lousy candidate nature should have made this easy. This could mean bad news for people like Sinema McCaskill Donnelly Abrams Stabenow etc elsewhere

Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 AM

900 posts, read 376,610 times
D and R does not mean that you voted according to your membership the independents have decided this election ... this election is high in states where there is a real competition, in others as the colorado is like any other year ... In iowa by example where there is no competition of interest the Democrats are far ahead of Republicans ... you can not use the same approach of florida to apply to other states.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:20 PM
JRR

8,168 posts, read 5,680,007 times
As a former resident of Florida, I am still shaking my head as to why this election isn't basically a runaway done deal for Republican Adam Putnam. Choosing DeSantis over Putnam in the primary seems like a pretty good way to carve a path for a Democrat to be elected governor.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:52 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times
Not sure, I don't live in FL but am thinking Gillum will win.

I'm voting for the Dem candidate in my state gubernatorial race as well. I voted for the current GOP governor 4 years ago (Kasich).

One of my main reasons for voting for the Dem here in Ohio is the same as what some posters have shared about Florida - environmental issues - we also have a toxic algae situation here with Lake Erie that is impacting our drinking water and watersheds throughout Ohio. The GOP sat on it and did nothing for many years and IMO people need to quit talking about environmental issues and ignoring the obvious and do something. I know the GOP is supposedly for commerce but we as a state cannot engage in good commercial industry or attract businesses if our waterways are poisoned so much that our water treatment plants cannot remove the toxins from our drinking water.

Also the conservatives went too far to the right on abortion issues and are still wanting to pass a fetal heartbeat bill in this state. I can overlook a lot of conservative religious craziness but that is too far for me. Kasich didn't sign the heartbeat bill and he's actually a pretty religious crazy IMO too, but the current GOP candidate has stated that he'd consider signing it and I'm not willing to take a chance on him like I did Kasich, who IMO has more common sense than most GOPers today.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:55 PM

126 posts, read 142,694 times
Florida's Supreme Court is at stake

https://twitter.com/FloridaGOP/statu...68439464210432

Old 11-04-2018, 03:03 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,584,207 times
Predictit.org says Gillum with 60/40 odds.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:09 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not sure, I don't live in FL but am thinking Gillum will win.

I'm voting for the Dem candidate in my state gubernatorial race as well. I voted for the current GOP governor 4 years ago (Kasich).

One of my main reasons for voting for the Dem here in Ohio is the same as what some posters have shared about Florida - environmental issues - we also have a toxic algae situation here with Lake Erie that is impacting our drinking water and watersheds throughout Ohio. The GOP sat on it and did nothing for many years and IMO people need to quit talking about environmental issues and ignoring the obvious and do something. I know the GOP is supposedly for commerce but we as a state cannot engage in good commercial industry or attract businesses if our waterways are poisoned so much that our water treatment plants cannot remove the toxins from our drinking water.

Also the conservatives went too far to the right on abortion issues and are still wanting to pass a fetal heartbeat bill in this state. I can overlook a lot of conservative religious craziness but that is too far for me. Kasich didn't sign the heartbeat bill and he's actually a pretty religious crazy IMO too, but the current GOP candidate has stated that he'd consider signing it and I'm not willing to take a chance on him like I did Kasich, who IMO has more common sense than most GOPers today.

You think these guys are going to do anything about the Environment, Abortion or anything else that concerns you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di3WRRHRWlE

Old 11-04-2018, 06:12 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,753,169 times
If Andrew Gillum is elected GOV of Florida, the entire State will go into a Recession, just like it did when Barack Obama was elected in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections