Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,586,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
It's simple: House incumbents win at a rate of around 90%. Someone posted that 29 of the house flips were of districts with incumbent Republicans. If that is true, that means 11 of the flips were of open seats. Eleven seats is the difference between a below average pickup for Dems, and a 40 seat 'wave.'
Um, the point you were trying to make was that Democrats should have won random seats just because there was no incumbent regardless of the political lean of those districts.

Clearly you failed to support that claim, and even showed that Dems beat more sitting republicans, further showing the flaw in your logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 9 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,605,492 times
Looks like Dems made gains in even a lot of the red states - including Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Florida - three states absolutely critical for putting Trump in the White House.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_U...bents_defeated

Old 12-09-2018, 08:34 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Looks like Dems made gains in even a lot of the red states - including Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Florida - three states absolutely critical for putting Trump in the White House.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_U...bents_defeated
Michigan and Pennsylvania aren't red states. They have Republican legislative majorities due to partisan redistricting--and they voted Republican at the presidential level for the first time in decades in 2016--but to call them Republican states is a stretch. Florida is a more traditional Republican state, but even it swings too much (at the presidential level) to be called a red state.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Michigan and Pennsylvania aren't red states. They have Republican legislative majorities due to partisan redistricting--and they voted Republican at the presidential level for the first time in decades in 2016--but to call them Republican states is a stretch. Florida is a more traditional Republican state, but even it swings too much (at the presidential level) to be called a red state.
I think when most people mention red and blue states, they are differentiating state level and Federal level.

Florida is a red state on the local level. So is Ohio and I would even go as far as to say Michigan is too.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:46 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,780,473 times
It’s a shame there’s a lot of cheating from California.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,224,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It’s a shame there’s a lot of cheating from California.
And yet no one has taken the time to prove any instances of it.

Would you care to join me on a day trip to Suburban Charlotte and discuss cheating?

Old 12-10-2018, 08:30 AM

956 posts, read 1,208,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The Dems look like they actually flipped 41 seats. Rs performed on the low end of expectations for the Senate since the Ds held two deep red seats (Manchin and Tester) and grabbed two R ones (Heller and Flake's open seat.) Winning Florida was really the only R coup- everything else was low hanging fruit.

But if Rs want to treat 2018 a rousing validation, in the words of our 44th president 'please, proceed...' I'm sure that is just the ticket to lead you to glory in 2020. I'm sure turning Arizona, North Carolina and Georgia into true swing states is part of a genius plan toward election domination.

Right on. The only positive from the midterms if you're a Republican flipping the senate seat in FL and holding on to the governorship.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 AM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
This was an excellent post. There is a good case to be made that the Democratic party severely under performed this cycle. Not only did they lose senate seats when they should have picked up, but with about 40 GOP retirements in the house, they should have picked up way more than the 30 they got. If they had picked up just half of the 40 open seats, plus the 32 seats (per the historical average, they would have had a 52 seat pickup.

Then if they had picked up 2 senate seats per historical avg, they would have had control of the senate too.

There's no way to know for sure why they underperformed, but little doubt for me that the mishandling of Kavanaugh was major.
Sure. That's one case. There's also a case to be made that the GOP has some serious work to do before the 2020 election. Re: the midterms - consider how close the election was in TX, AL, AZ and FL. Look at how hard those Republicans who prevailed had to work, and look at the nutjobs they competed against. And look at who won and lost in AZ..

John James, an African American veteran Republican who worked his ass off couldn't win in MI against an old white lady who slept in every morning of the campaign. And that bug-eyed Cortez chick won. Think about that crazy young woman who is nothing but all kinds of stupid.

Yes.........the numbers can be reviewed in the context of history, but the best that can be said is that the GOP didn't lose as badly during the mid-terms as these things usually go. We've got real problems when morons like Beto and Gillum and Sinema can win elections in strong red states given their backgrounds and the straight-up stupid crap they said during their campaigns.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Right on. The only positive from the midterms if you're a Republican flipping the senate seat in FL and holding on to the governorship.
The other positive was Marsha Blackburn beating Phil Bredesen (a former Democrat Nashville Mayor and state Governor). Goof for her.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:21 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,015,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
It's simple: House incumbents win at a rate of around 90%. Someone posted that 29 of the house flips were of districts with incumbent Republicans. If that is true, that means 11 of the flips were of open seats. Eleven seats is the difference between a below average pickup for Dems, and a 40 seat 'wave.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Um, the point you were trying to make was that Democrats should have won random seats just because there was no incumbent regardless of the political lean of those districts.

Clearly you failed to support that claim, and even showed that Dems beat more sitting republicans, further showing the flaw in your logic.
OK, I won't 'um' you back--I hate the use of 'um' and 'uh.' First of all, neither are English words. Secondly it reeks of condescension. It is sniveling, snippy snobbery.

I never said anything about 'random seats.' Please quote me the post where I did. I just pointed out that house incumbents win at a rate of 90%, so losing 40 GOP incumbents should have been a huge advantage for Democrats. This is not just something I said. Tons of professional political pundits have made the point.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...s-house-823327

Quote:
A glut of GOP retirements has House Republicans defending a record number of open seats this fall — further fueling the odds of a Democratic takeover.
Quote:
Recent history explains why Republicans are so concerned: In the past six midterm elections, the president’s party has not retained a single open seat he failed to carry two years prior, according to an analysis by the Cook Political Report’s David Wasserman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections