Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 11:53 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
I am finding stories about Democrats defending military absentee votes. I don't know what your talking about. There is one story about Republicans accusing Democrats of not counting the military vote and another about Obama administration which was discredited by Snopes.
Go back and check the claims in 2000 and listen what a poll officer in S.E. Florida had to say yesterday about all military absentee votes being counted: he would not give an honest answer. He just dodged the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 12:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,525,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Sounds like I could show a wrapper from a candy bar and vote. If it had a name like Babe Ruth.
The 1940's called ...they want their candy bar back! I guess you're not a Millennial with that reference!

Old 11-10-2018, 12:32 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,928,616 times
Someone needs to educate herself about who's allowing ineligible people to vote, has turned the Board of Elections into a laughingstock, who's destroyed ballots, and who's been admonished--again--by a judge.

And it's not "Republicans."

Old 11-10-2018, 12:40 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,753,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Centrist here

I see the Dems as being far more guilty of manipulating the voting system.
We're talking about a party that doesn't feel one should have to even have a proper ID to vote.
That's some of the dumbest **** I've ever heard right there.

At least I can see the Republican's point of not wanting homeless people, felons, or other bottom feeders voting. I don't know if it's right, but it certainly makes sense if one contributes to society in any way.
You can't be a centrist if you think like the post above!

More likely you are simply uneducated on the subject.

I proved myself many times over to REGISTER to vote. Then I had a signature on file.
I didn't have to present any ID at the polls, but did have to sign next to my name and address.

Your examples would be the same as saying that I am not allowed to be driving my car because I didn't take the driving test today. I didn't renew my insurance today either. You see, I have proven both and they are on file. I can get in the car and drive for years and years.

Of course you need ID to REGISTER TO VOTE. But the idea of needing certain forms to then place your vote - even if you've lived on the same street for 50 years and voted in the same place 20 times.

BUT, the Voter ID is not the best method for Republicans to cheat. It's by manipulation of many different things by being the Sec. of State or legislature in "certain" states.

When the Civil Rights and Voting Rights bills were made into law certain states were labeled as especially bad actors. Of course, you can guess which states those were!

The SAME states have been the ones who have continued to uphold Jim Crow (Florida, until now) and also came up with the stricter laws about ID and stricter purges and much more.

That gives us two conclusions we can reach......

1. The states declared as being bad actors for 150 years have suddenly not only become fully compliant and enlightened, but have went far beyond in an attempt to make elections as fair as possible.

or.

2. Once a thief, always a thief.

It seems to reason that #2 is the situation in GA, Florida and some other places....Gov. Scott certainly doesn't want his 150 million to go to waste (personal money he has thrown behind his own elections).

Old 11-10-2018, 03:42 PM

9,652 posts, read 4,450,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
There is so many examples of voter suppression by Republicans, that I'll let Wikipedia list it for you.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_..._United_States

As I suspected...a list of liberal whining points and not a single real example of voter suppression

Old 11-10-2018, 05:03 PM

482 posts, read 244,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You can't be a centrist if you think like the post above!

More likely you are simply uneducated on the subject.

I proved myself many times over to REGISTER to vote. Then I had a signature on file.
I didn't have to present any ID at the polls, but did have to sign next to my name and address.

Your examples would be the same as saying that I am not allowed to be driving my car because I didn't take the driving test today. I didn't renew my insurance today either. You see, I have proven both and they are on file. I can get in the car and drive for years and years.

Of course you need ID to REGISTER TO VOTE. But the idea of needing certain forms to then place your vote - even if you've lived on the same street for 50 years and voted in the same place 20 times.

BUT, the Voter ID is not the best method for Republicans to cheat. It's by manipulation of many different things by being the Sec. of State or legislature in "certain" states.

When the Civil Rights and Voting Rights bills were made into law certain states were labeled as especially bad actors. Of course, you can guess which states those were!

The SAME states have been the ones who have continued to uphold Jim Crow (Florida, until now) and also came up with the stricter laws about ID and stricter purges and much more.

That gives us two conclusions we can reach......

1. The states declared as being bad actors for 150 years have suddenly not only become fully compliant and enlightened, but have went far beyond in an attempt to make elections as fair as possible.

or.

2. Once a thief, always a thief.

It seems to reason that #2 is the situation in GA, Florida and some other places....Gov. Scott certainly doesn't want his 150 million to go to waste (personal money he has thrown behind his own elections).
One should have to present a valid ID when they vote. Spin it any way you want, but to not support such common sense is basically saying that you're OK with making voter fraud easier. I can't believe this is actually a real debate.

And yes, I am a centrist. I lean more to the right or left depending on the subject. That doesn't make any sense to you because you're a frothing at the mouth WAAAAAY far left liberal. I've read some of your post on here before, and I can't help but laugh at some of the nonsense you support.

People like yourself are why Donald Trump is now the president of the United States of America. You people keep it up and we're going to have that idiot for 4 more years.....good job!

Old 11-10-2018, 05:19 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,449,430 times
If the media would just stop basically calling the elections ... two weeks before the election...and worse, before all the votes are in ON election day and FROM absentee, mail in......then no one would cry foul. So shut up.

The election isn t over until all the votes are counted. Til this Thursday ?

Trump should shut up. Sick of him creating a new form of government with every tweet le dee and dumb.
The crybaby who might not win should shut up.

Trump Republicans all want to be kings and queens. It s joke. In the meantime Trump sends the military to protect us from women and children who are starving and half dead from walking from Honduras.
He s an absolute embarrassment and other leaders are taking what they can get while we have no leader.

IN AMERICA...
You r not a winner if you lose the popular vote.
Wait for it.
Then, celebrate.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:21 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,449,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
As I suspected...a list of liberal whining points and not a single real example of voter suppression
Moving polling places, then moving the voter rolls, then "losing" the cables to hook up the machines...come on now, Trump Republicans are down in dixie and out of touch.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM

79,233 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We covered gerrymandering in another thread recently.

One of the worst states is Maryland. (CNN article, previously cited)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryla...h_Congress.tif

The map was drawn up by democrats and was found unanimously unconstitutional by a federal court pannel of 3 judges.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...107-story.html

OP, you should spend more time actually learning about topics you're interested in.
Lol, none of the people crying gerrymandering actually wanted to discuss it, they just want to claim it's hurting them and hope nobody calls them on it.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,852,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lol, none of the people crying gerrymandering actually wanted to discuss it, they just want to claim it's hurting them and hope nobody calls them on it.
Eh I have long maintained that redistricting should be done programmatically by an open source algorithm so that anyone can look at it and verify no bias. Involving humans in the process will always be inherently biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections