Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump’s support of Hyde-Smith?
Yes 50 50.00%
No 50 50.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2018, 11:32 AM

2,362 posts, read 782,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Malarky.

A) These people were already against us.

B) AT&T, Walmart, etc. may be throwing "hissy fits," but they also want their donations back.

C) Serious discussions of issues are undermined by calling people "terribly retarded."
(FYI, using "retarded" as an insult is also considered in poor taste these days. Just sayin'.)

D) It's "your" not "you're" you want here.

What are you talking about with point B). I don't care about what's trendy, so I will stick with "terribly retarded" thank you very much. You can consider it in poor taste just as I consider grown ups acting outraged over words like monkey and public hangings in poor taste.

But you can go ahead and have your fake hissy fits. No one actually believes you're honest. You will lose elections because instead of talking about issues everyone is talking about if you should be outraged over word choices.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:41 AM

51,690 posts, read 25,953,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Only if you want to play the race card. Before the invention of electricity, if a criminal were sentenced to death, it would have to be by hanging or a firing squad.

The Alabama Power Company was founded on Dec. 4, 1906, but there were public hangings in that state until at least 1925. Eventually, the electric chair was used for executions.

"Mississippi had the highest lynchings from 1882-1968 with 581. "

https://www.naacp.org/history-of-lynchings/

Michael Donald was beat, murdered, and hung from a tree in 1981. But that was in Florida.

Thousands were lynched in the south. At best her "joke" was in poor taste.

At worst, her comment was a call to the KKK and their confederates.

Seems to have worked.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
What are you talking about with point B). I don't care about what's trendy, so I will stick with "terribly retarded" thank you very much. You can consider it in poor taste just as I consider grown ups acting outraged over words like monkey and public hangings in poor taste.

But you can go ahead and have your fake hissy fits. No one actually believes you're honest. You will lose elections because instead of talking about issues everyone is talking about if you should be outraged over word choices.
Stick with insulting people by calling them "retarded." Fine by me.

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." Maya Angelou

Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,600,772 times
Quote:

Michael Donald was beat, murdered, and hung from a tree in 1981. But that was in Florida.

Seems to have worked.
She seems singularly unqualified to be in charge of ANYTHING.

I cannot imagine why anyone would vote for her but it IS Mississippi so I'm sure they will.

Apparently they NEVER tire of being last in everything.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
She seems singularly unqualified to be in charge of ANYTHING.

I cannot imagine why anyone would vote for her but it IS Mississippi so I'm sure they will.

Apparently they NEVER tire of being last in everything.
I watched her "We already made a statement and that's all I'm going to say about that," press conference.

I can't imagine voting for this woman to make decisions about my life and my family.

She reminded me of an aging and incompetent teacher who has been passed around the district from one school to the next, one step of ahead of parents who demand she be fired.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:56 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,022,890 times
Quote:

Seems to have worked.

Even 1968 is now 50 years in the rear-view mirror. As I posted earlier:

Quote:
Yes we went over this on the other thread. If you read her exact words, there is no way to tell what she had in mind--no context. The outlet that initially reported did not provide video, either. I don't know if it has since been posted.

If she's talking about hanging a child rapist/murderer, I'm with her 100%. If she's talking about an Emmett Till, then I would have a big problem.

We don't know what she had in mind. Hence it is ignorant to even discuss what action should be taken.

But lacking any context to her words hasn't stopped the press. They simply make up the context that supports their narrative. I listen to NPR a lot, and they've been going hog wild in that vein. No context--no problem, we'll just make it up.

This is actually an example where President Trump's "enemy of the people" line does apply. And just to be clear, I'm no fan of Trump.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM

11,403 posts, read 4,105,637 times
Trump is on the way to Mississippi to campaign for Hyde-Smith, the woman who:

- said she'd love to attend a public hanging
- sympathizes with the Confederate Army
- attended a "segratationist" school to avoid having to go to school with black kids after integration
- also sent her daughter to segratationist schools
- is on video tape saying that voter suppression of liberals is a good thing

No wonder Trump loves her.

https://twitter.com/24SevenEyes/stat...52011194499072

Old 11-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post

- attended a "segratationist" school to avoid having to go to school with black kids after integration

It's a white nationalists' dream come true.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,614,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Being wrong, and simply stating different words is a very weak argument.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:34 PM

73,184 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post

Sadly, this is the America that some people want. The best we can do is fight against those persons. They only do harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections