Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump’s support of Hyde-Smith?
Yes 50 50.00%
No 50 50.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Status: "Trump is the BLOAT...Biggest Loser of All Time!" (set 15 days ago)

5,789 posts, read 3,624,926 times

Advertisements

As for her attending a "seg" academy, I'm not defending them at all. However, I myself graduated from one in 1986 in next-door Northeast Louisiana. So I have to say that not all students at such schools are racist (at least no more so than white students at integrated public schools well outside the area). Yes, the N-word was thrown around frequently at my school, where the only non-whites were a few Hispanics and East Asians (although today most such schools are somewhat different, more about that below). Yes, a lot of such schools did have Confederate mascots. But I never saw anything about saying bring back the "good ole days" - except sometimes in the strict terms of the religious right "family values" rhetoric.

So the most accurate blanket statement about "seg academy" students, even in the 80s: Hard core racist, definitely not. A bit racist, I'd say yes -- and I myself was more in line with that one, I have to say (live and learn). Today, it's somewhat looser at most of them. Blacks do attend and are on the homecoming court and on the student council. Interracial prom dates have been a thing at those schools since at least the 90s (I'm not bragging, given this is how it should have been in the first place. I'm just giving the facts best and briefly as I know how).

The "seg academies" (a media term, however truthful, more than a popular everyday term, the latter is "private schools") -- they were set up by parents worried in large part (however paranoid) about blacks out to "get whitey" if the schools truly integrated, apparently failing to see that a lot of blacks were not the violent thugs they imagine them to be and failing to see that the "white" public schools had their fair share of juvenile delinquents as well. This fear was especially present in the majority-black "Delta" and SW Mississippi.

Cindy's and my generation (born only 8 yrs apart) had no choice about attending those schools. I don't hold that part against her. I do hold her responsible for her choices she made as an adult and even more so as a public official - all of whom have long left their high school days behind and are certainly as aware that they are supposed to represnt all the people as any other elected public official. And that is why I say she is unworthy of the office of US Senator, other political difference aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 02:02 PM

20,976 posts, read 8,754,736 times
I didn't know anything about her or her Dem opponent Espy until Rush mentioned it today. It seems Espy is so corrupt the Clintons didn't want anything to do with him!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:51 PM

73,193 posts, read 63,056,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
A couple of nooses were found hanging at the state capitol in Jackson. The symbolism of that should be pretty clear (unlike those posters who are trying to deflect, deny the symbolism of the words "public hanging").
When you see a noose, indeed there is no mistake of what that is about. I looked it up and found it was hung in protest. Oddly enough, I thought about some of the times I was in high school. I knew 1 or 2 kids who threatened to hang me by a noose.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM

16,344 posts, read 8,149,345 times
It's the same old South
With those old fashioned get togethers
Colonel, pass me the tar and feathers
It's the same old South

Old 11-27-2018, 04:23 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,596,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
More lessons in word association by activists.

Why does everything have to be about faux outrage of coopted words?

the M word is now mob

The H word is hang

the liberals alphabet book for children and their liberal parents.

'Hanging was the virtually universal method of execution in America up to the 1890's and was the sole form permitted by the original constitution.'

I hung my curtains, I hung my deer from the maple tree to skin it, I hung around with her, I left them hanging. Hanging chads.

just a matter of time before cotton clothing will be a dog whistle to the liberal left.

Have to wonder why cotton clothing wasn't the first symbol of oppression to be attacked?????

According to the liberal left the utterance of a single word will make you a doctor, if you use a medical term. Salpingectomy! I'm a doctor!!!!

Quick think of substitution for hanging. Tell someone you were hanging your drapes when the phone rang and you are an instant racist, drawer full of bed sheets with eye holes cut in them and the obligatory gasoline soaked cross in your back shed.
I am sure they have public drape hanging events in Mississippi.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:34 PM

16,344 posts, read 8,149,345 times
Honey, shut my mouth
Let the Northerners keep Niagra
We'll stick to our Southern pellagra
It's the same old South

Old 11-27-2018, 06:02 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,823,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post

Are deliberately outrageous and ridiculous statements the norm for Mississippi HUMOR? Absolutely! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=266vruLtd1o

I'm from there, and (as Cindy seems to be), am from the social class below "Redneck". I'm just-plain-White-Trash. As a child, my DREAM was to move up to "Redneck" (which, being not-really-white, I could never do). Before Mama turned on me, I used to share her dream of hooking a "rich" long-haul trucker, who'd buy us a nice used doublewide, with gold-tone hi-lo shag carpet, 'Ponderosa Pecan' Masonite paneling, and amber swag lamps. It's a wonder Mama didn't name me 'Amber'. Luckily, two of her cousins had beat her to that name, before I was born. And so I barely missed growing up as an 'Amber Nicole'. But don't worry: she came up with something even worse.

So, in my earlier years of literacy, I'd sit in the Principal's office, where I'd been sent, either for smelling bad, or for bleeding - pouring over the secretaries' Service Merchandise catalogue from up in Memphis. As a Redneck-wannabe, I dreamed of having that Kimball Victorian furniture, tufted in the genuine red velveteen, and real diamond-chip bracelets - all of which you could "buy on time", which was what the Rednecky little school secretaries were proudly planning to do. I bet Senator Cindy had a similarly aspirational childhood.

Well, a funny thing happens to some of us, while we're clawing our way out of the gutter: we grow bigger-than-normal claws. And some of us keep right on climbing, since that's what we're used to doing - say, into a seven-level 'Dordogne-style' "Mas"/Chateau in the PNW, or to become Senators from Mississippi. Some of us slimy types fly too close to the sun: https://www.google.com/search?q=Fall...J7q7xWbzw2l5M: And some of us use our Mississippi wit to become power brokers of the first order: https://www.gq.com/story/haley-barbo...jason-zengerle

Some of us "go-pro" with our outlandish statements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=VhIxc6UyAjI , or even start deliberately ridiculous MOVEMENTS: https://www.google.com/search?client...24.KZUlv87yHxo

For generations, the whole world has been enthralled by a born-dirt-poor Mississippi woman's oddly-phrased observations on standing by her man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBirf4BWew The world has been simultaneously titillated and aghast, at Mississippians' primal sounds and gyrations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ePOJmwdhIc And our exploration and exploitation of our own fatal flaws, has taken literature where it's never gone before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LhSrBruAU0

I know one Mississippi woman, from a background every bit as tumultuous and deprived as my own, who now knows Scandinavian royalty, has helped broker multi-billion-Dollar deals for her state, and now lives in a marble-floored palazzo of a house. She married into one of the Great Lakes Megalopolis' biggest fortunes, and been pursued by men worthy of a Harlequin Romance. One day, I heard her describing a tense situation between competing developers of quarter-billion-Dollar parcels: "Bubba and Twylla was havin' a knife-fight down in the ditch over the retaining ponds and the runoff and..."

There was no knife, and there was no ditch. And the woman can write brilliant and grammatically-flawless copy, as well as any other woman with a master's in English from a good college. But she was being deliberately ridiculous - FOR HUMOROUS EFFECT. It's no different from Joan Rivers saying of her own apartment, "It's like Marie Antoinette would have had, if she'd had money and taste." It's called BEING FUNNY - self-parody.

I've heard other Mississippians say, "Worst thing since hog et little brother." Do I need to tell you that there was no hog? In fact, the saying came from Steinbeck's 'Grapes of Wrath'. So, they're pretending to be hick, while using a literary allusion. Too, when you hear one of us talk about 'Luty Pearl', we're not talking about a relative. Luty Pearl was a Pentecostal woman, being 'Slain in the Spirit', in Shelby Foote's 'Follow Me Down'.

What Cindy Hyde Smith was saying, in a way MEANT TO BE funny, was, "This man is so charming and persuasive, he could get me to do ANYTHING - even something as utterly horrendous as attending a public hanging."

By the way: weren't Western Movies full of public hangings?

Anyway, I'll close with Mississippi's irreplaceable Tammy Wynette, breaking all sort of recordings sales records, and industry crossover barriers, with her unique delivery of some utterly nonsensical statements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjggN-KByI

Old 11-27-2018, 06:51 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,596,764 times
In case anyone is interested:

Live results for the Mississippi Senate election
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...mith-mike-espy

Old 11-27-2018, 09:07 PM

20,976 posts, read 8,754,736 times
She won. Another Q prediction came true of 53-47

Old 11-27-2018, 09:16 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,498,038 times
Well, it's Mississippi, so whites talking about public hanging doesn't look out of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections