Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump’s support of Hyde-Smith?
Yes 50 50.00%
No 50 50.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 11:22 PM
JRR

8,183 posts, read 5,694,434 times

Advertisements

Great timing on this. I was just telling my wife the other day that it was about time for Trump to do a rally. It will be a much needed infusion for his bruised and battered ego, after the results of the elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 11:27 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,381,833 times
Lmao. Nobody is advocating public hangings. Though I think we should. We'd probably have less crime or at the very least give pause to people contemplating in committing heinous crimes.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:30 PM

73,131 posts, read 62,791,937 times
I don't support it. Both person should be watching what they say. Some things are just stupid to say.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:38 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,564,524 times
In this woman defense, she said something incredibly stupid but I don't think it was said with malice. Not a good idea for a Republican in Mississippi to mention wanting to be present at a lynching, not with the history there.

I believe if Democrats try and make too big an issue of her remarks it could lead to a backlash against perceived "political correctness" and lead to more votes for her. At present I don't think they are overreacting. I don't know about her comments regarding voter suppression but since it's the deep south and she is a Republican, it should come as no surprise.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
Mississippi incumbent Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith was captured gleefully joking about attending a public hanging, and newly released audio has emerged of Hyde-Smith covertly advocating liberal voter suppression.

As flattering as all of this may sound, our racial equality driven President will make not one, but two appearances to generate support for the southern belle’s runoff effort.

Mississippi now finds itself in an eerily similar scenario as Alabama with Roy Moore vs Doug Jones. Moore was narrowly defeated by Jones in the rubiest of red states fueled mostly by outrage and embarrassment in 2017.

With every major news outlet in the country closely watching, will Hyde-Smith get the nod? Everyone will soon see what Mississippi voters are made of.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...i-runoff%3famp
I really do wish people would at least attempt to under the meaning of a saying before assigning meaning to the phrase and attacking the person based on their own misunderstanding. She did not advocate public hangings.

Origins of ‘Invitation to a Hanging’

This was a phrase used during the woman’s childhood. If you want to criticize her on policy, go for it but stop inventing things to be outraged over.

And, it has NOTHING to do lynching. Lynchings were hangings done by citizens deciding to be judge and executioner because they thought the law wouldn’t do it; her comment originated from the practice being allowed to watch the government hang someone.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,392,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Great timing on this. I was just telling my wife the other day that it was about time for Trump to do a rally. It will be a much needed infusion for his bruised and battered ego, after the results of the elections.
I doubt his ego is bruised, considering he increased his lead in the Senate, and the President has only done that 5 times in the last 105 years.
Trump's rallies had an 80% success rate in the midterms, so the more rallies he does the better.
Whereas in 2010 Obama lost 63 House seats and 6 Senate seats.
BTW Obama/Oprah campaigned in Georgia, and lost.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:13 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,359,987 times
Trump supporting the racist candidate. Color me surprised

Old 11-18-2018, 06:23 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 18 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,610,169 times
I've seen this bull**** before, even before Trump's candidacy. In 1990 and 91, David Duke during his senatorial and gubernatorial races (respectively by year) got caught saying years before to a white supremacist "I don't think we should kill them [Jews], but I do think we should ship them off to places where they can't exploit others". Duke made the same "that was out of context" plea then, and that's why I am VERY slow to trust any "out of context" plea.

As for the context, I grew up in a rural area next door to Miss so I can say something here. Even if she is genuinely joking (I grant this is practically assured), that kind of joking is precisely what leads eventually to an actual removal of the right to vote for some people. Soft-core belittlement of a person or group is a stepping stone toward actual oppression of that group, and if taken far enough, genocide. After you take that one step, it's not as hard to take the next step, and the next (something about "boiling a frog").

She's a candidate for public office, not some workaday next-door type shooting the breeze with her friends around a barstool after work. So I hold her to a higher standard, even if she is simply trying to be "folksy".

Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,534,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
In this woman defense, she said something incredibly stupid but I don't think it was said with malice. Not a good idea for a Republican in Mississippi to mention wanting to be present at a lynching, not with the history there.

I believe if Democrats try and make too big an issue of her remarks it could lead to a backlash against perceived "political correctness" and lead to more votes for her. At present I don't think they are overreacting. I don't know about her comments regarding voter suppression but since it's the deep south and she is a Republican, it should come as no surprise.
1. A public LEGAL (capital punishment) hanging is not the same as a lynching

2. In the old days an "inventation to a hanging or execution" was just that, it was the way of the LAW to show the public officials that law was carried out,

3. by making capital punishment in the public..(out in the open for all to see)(whether it be hanging, electric chair, gas chamber, or lethal injection), will be a deterrent of capital crime, but will also bring on the debate on the merits of or against capital punishment

4. I think rapists, and pedophiles should be publicly castrated...
..... and that has nothing to do with the history of that state or race

Old 11-18-2018, 06:39 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,100,825 times
Trump is very busy, there are still more than 100 judicial vacancies he's filling with young conservatives. I see a lot of judicial decisions being made that Democrats are not going to like for decades and decades to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections