Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump’s support of Hyde-Smith?
Yes 50 50.00%
No 50 50.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 02:09 PM
Status: "Trump is the BLOAT...Biggest Loser of All Time!" (set 19 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,626,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
odd statement but Public hangings and lynching are not the same thing...

Public Hangings were used as capital punishment as late as the 1930s. The most infamous public hangings occurred in 1865 when the Co Conspirators of President Lincolns assassination were hung...

Still an odd statement but obviously not as inflammatory as using lynching vs public hanging.

Often they did overlap in practice. Even if they did not, in this day and age it's distasteful to make light of executions of even guilty people. But Hyde-Smith's culture has an especially strong macho streak (I grew up within easy FM and TV broadcast range of the state, and went shopping in MS many, many times). A lot of people react like Pavlov's Dog to crime with "Kill the m.f.'s", with a lot of those types thinking that even the mildest relenting of strict punishment comes only from "sensitive ladies" and "unmanly males" - especially in the rural areas (which is close to the majority of the state's population).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 03:19 PM

53,544 posts, read 35,248,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I have gone all throughout the nation on personal and business travel and have not heard comments or jokes about public hanging uttered as a commonplace expression from acquaintances or strangers. Maybe you should research who it is that was generally publicly hanged in America's history. Then you might realize that it has everything to do with race.
show hanging stats by race so we can see if you’re just blowing smoke.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:26 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,172,197 times
While I'll admit it's pretty creepy, I think it's being inflated into something beyond what's reasonable.

It was a poorly chosen phrase, but what I find far more interesting is that it's yet another example of a Republican choosing wording that conveys death/violence as a desirable thing. She could, for instance, have said, "If he'd invite me to come hear him read the telephone book..." But no. She preferred a violent image. Just like, for instance, Sarah Palin with her "Lock and load."

Old 11-23-2018, 04:09 PM

21,422 posts, read 7,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lmao. Nobody is advocating public hangings. Though I think we should. We'd probably have less crime or at the very least give pause to people contemplating in committing heinous crimes.
I think we should have seizure of property and public hanging for treason.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:27 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,734,230 times
Why don't some of you look at the history of public hanging in this country and then get back to me. Are you really that ignorant that you hear certain words that trigger you - and automatically see black?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangin..._United_States

Old 11-23-2018, 04:31 PM

16,344 posts, read 8,151,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Why don't some of you look at the history of public hanging in this country and then get back to me. Are you really that ignorant that you hear certain words that trigger you - and automatically see black?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangin..._United_States
We're talking Mississippi here. Not the Salem witch trials. Not the Wild West.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:32 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,734,230 times
Yeah, those were a long time ago so let's go with lynchings.

When everything is racist - nothing is racist.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:38 PM

16,344 posts, read 8,151,517 times
Quote:
Yeah, those were a long time ago so let's go with lynchings.

When everything is racist - nothing is racist.
Have you ever been to Mississippi?

Old 11-23-2018, 05:52 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,619,527 times
Quote:
I'm familiar with this phrase and I grew up in Chicago. It's not a dog whistle - it has nothing to do with race.

These bull ****e allegations are dangerous on more than one level.
This is true.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:00 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,619,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
There's something called context. Public statements don't just happen in a vacuum. You also have to look at the past and the track record of the person uttering it.

In a state like Mississippi, with a very violent history of racism, such comments aren't innocent.
Pigeonholing an entire state is ridiculous. The phrase is not a racial reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections