Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 AM

22,265 posts, read 19,585,292 times

Advertisements

Following the death of Senator John McCain, former GOP Senator Jon Kyl (who previously served three terms until deciding to retire and not seek re-election in 2012) was appointed by Arizona Governor Doug Ducey to fill the vacant seat. The appointment was originally scheduled to last through 2020 in which a Special Election would occur in order to fill the remaining two years of the current term. However, at the time of accepting the appointment, Kyl only agreed to serve until the end of the current Congress (end of this year) and would re-evaluate whether or not to continue until a Special Election could be held. Kyl has decided to step down effective December 31st which will give Governor Ducey another opportunity to appoint someone to the seat to hold it until the Special Election in November 2020 can be held.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,670,143 times
Kyl is clearly a wise man.

He doesn't want the stain of tRump to follow him to the grave.

Not to mention the stench.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:38 PM

4,506 posts, read 3,863,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Kyl is clearly a wise man.

He doesn't want the stain of tRump to follow him to the grave.

Not to mention the stench.

Trump Trump Trump. You must love him since you talk about him so much.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:19 PM

16,859 posts, read 8,827,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Trump Trump Trump. You must love him since you talk about him so much.
It is called TDS, and any and every subject must be about Trump.

A few months ago I was reading a NYT, and although I expected the leftist rag to be totally one sided in the news and op-ed sections, I though some of the other sections would at least discuss the relevant subjects of those sections (i.e. sports, entertainment, business, etc.) Trump free.
Boy was I wrong.
Virtually every story had some mention of Trump (negative of course), or how their particular story was adversely effected by who was in the WH.
You would have thought this was a paper secretly published by those suffering under a communist regime, and they were all part of the underground resistance.

This was not the first time I have read a NYT, nor the first time I could see obviously left wing bias. However I never remember virtually every section railing against one person (and by extension the "enemies" ideology) before.

As to the overall subject, it would be nice if the governor picked someone with some gravitas, not just pick McSally.
Frankly, I don't know much about her, but for her to lose to that leftist kook Sinema, she must not be very sharp, or a good candidate.

`

Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 AM

39,185 posts, read 51,559,058 times
He is not going to, of course, but I would love to see him appoint Flake to fill in until 2020. Trump would just sh**.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:34 PM

16,859 posts, read 8,827,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He is not going to, of course, but I would love to see him appoint Flake to fill in until 2020. Trump would just sh**.
Of course you would love that.

I'm thinking he should appoint Jan Brewer to have liberal heads exploding.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 AM

25,793 posts, read 17,567,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Of course you would love that.

I'm thinking he should appoint Jan Brewer to have liberal heads exploding.
Pretty Funny!

But it was just announced that Martha McSally was appointed to the position. Liberlas will still explode, though.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:07 AM

30,775 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pretty Funny!

But it was just announced that Martha McSally was appointed to the position. Liberlas will still explode, though.
I just saw that. And McSally will be the "senior senator" (not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things) as she'll be sworn in before the other gal.

But kudos to Kyl. He did the honorable thing, as opposed to McCain (RIP), who held on to that seat even when he was physically incapable of doing his job

Before news of the McSally appointment was made, I wasn't sold on McSally. Don't get me wrong now: I like McSally a lot, and she's more conservative than McCain ever was, which is a plus. But I also wanted to see who the other contenders were/could be. All in all, a good appointment, though.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM

8,503 posts, read 4,618,215 times
This has been in the works and was a factored into her when and how she conceded her close election loss a month ago.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:54 AM

39,185 posts, read 51,559,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pretty Funny!

McSally was a moderate representing a blue leaning district prior to her run for Senate. She embraced Trump in the primaries and paid the price by losing in the general. She'll be back in the hot seat once again having to act like a nut job to get the Republican nomination and then trying to appeal to the broader electorate in the general in 2020. Maybe Trump will be gone by then. That would help her. She will likely be facing a veteran GOP household name who turned Dem this year out of disgust for what the party has become. Should be interesting. And whoever wins has to do it all over again in 2022!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections