Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 05:32 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Former Congressman Joe Sestak of PA has dropped out of his longshot bid. Sestak entered in June and never gained and traction and did not qualify for any debates.
Not very many people know he was ever in the race.

Hasta la vista, Joe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 09:16 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,107,536 times
Former Montana Governor has also just dropped out.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 AM

1,840 posts, read 681,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
He is still a governor there.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Montana Governor Steve Bullock has just dropped out of the race. He is also clearly indicating that he has no interest in running for the US Senate, which in my view is the bigger news here, as Bullock was never competitive in the presidential primary contest.

Quote:
Montana Gov. Steve Bullock has dropped out of the 2020 race, and says he won’t run for Senate

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock has suspended his long-shot bid to become the 2020 Democratic nominee for president.

National Democrats would dearly love Bullock to run for Senate now that he’s set aside his presidential ambitions, but the governor has so far shown no desire to do so.

“I’ve expressed all along [that] I just don’t have an interest in running for US Senate,†Bullock told the Montana Free Press in March. “I think that my skill set, and what I’ve done, I just wouldn’t enjoy it, so I’d ruled it out.â€

Monday, his spokesperson Galia Slayen said Bullock has not altered his thinking on this point: “While he plans to work hard to elect Democrats in the state and across the country in 2020, it will be in his capacity as a governor and a senior voice in the Democratic Party — not as a candidate for US Senate.â€

Old 12-02-2019, 11:05 AM

19,893 posts, read 9,448,503 times
[quote=Spartacus713;56736810]

From the Washington Post:
What happened to Elizabeth Warren?

Two things stand out pretty clearly in many of those charts: Warren’s drop and Buttigieg’s increase. Among “very liberal†respondents, both Biden and Buttigieg appear to have gained at Warren’s expense. Her support among moderates, once respectable, collapsed entirely. It’s worth noting that the shift against Warren came after significant focus on her approach to Medicare-for-all — which Quinnipiac suggests has relatively low support among Democratic moderates.

Buttigieg didn’t gain any ground among black Democrats (something his campaign is no doubt concerned about), but he did see a marked increase among whites, primarily at Warren’s expense. He also gained from Warren’s plunge among voters over 65, while Warren’s drop among younger voters was to Biden’s benefit.

Over and over, the pattern is the same: Warren goes down and Buttigieg goes up.
:

'The View' pans Mayor Pete's past comments on race: 'Needs to get a little more woke'

"The View" co-hosts derided Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg's comments on race, suggesting that he needed to get a "little more woke" as a 2020 presidential candidate.

"You're motivated because you believe that at the end of your educational process, there is a reward, there is a stable life, there is a job," Buttigieg previously said. "And a lot of kids -- especially the lower income, minority neighborhoods -- who literally just haven't seen it work. There isn't somebody they know personally who testifies to the value of education."

Co-host Whoopi Goldberg indicated that Buttigieg's comments were another indication that racism still existed. "Is this just a reminder that this does exist in the world? That's why people like Colin Kaepernick are kneeling, that's why people are protesting, that's why Black Lives Matter came out," she said.
[END QUOTE]

--------------------------------

So would someone please explain to me exactly why the bold is racist? I mean, I could say that I don't personally know anyone who knows any woman over 60 who is a current fashion model, but does that make me ageist?

(Meaning that, yes, women over 60 are models, but it doesn't mean that everyone personally knows such women.)

Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
'The View' pans Mayor Pete's past comments on race: 'Needs to get a little more woke'

"The View" co-hosts derided Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg's comments on race, suggesting that he needed to get a "little more woke" as a 2020 presidential candidate.

"You're motivated because you believe that at the end of your educational process, there is a reward, there is a stable life, there is a job," Buttigieg previously said. "And a lot of kids -- especially the lower income, minority neighborhoods -- who literally just haven't seen it work. There isn't somebody they know personally who testifies to the value of education."

Co-host Whoopi Goldberg indicated that Buttigieg's comments were another indication that racism still existed. "Is this just a reminder that this does exist in the world? That's why people like Colin Kaepernick are kneeling, that's why people are protesting, that's why Black Lives Matter came out," she said.
So would someone please explain to me exactly why the bold is racist? (If that is true, which it might be.) I mean, I could say that I don't personally know anyone who knows any woman over 60 who is a current fashion model, but does that make me ageist?

(Meaning that, yes, women over 60 are models, but it doesn't mean that everyone personally knows such women.)
Mayor Pete's comments were carefully calculated, rational and very reasonable. Whoopi is one of these that walks around with a "racism" chip on her shoulder, just hoping someone will brush up near enough to her for her to allow it to fall off. Then she responds with a SJW inspired, "Politically correct" race screed at whoever she perceives the latest offender to be.

I am certainly not going to vote for Mayor Pete, but his comments were fine. He is not the problem here. She is. However, sadly for Mayor Pete, a large number of potential primary voters are not going to see it that way and will agree with Whoopi.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:17 AM

42,872 posts, read 26,392,639 times
Quote:
Tucker Carlson believes it's very possible Michelle Obama gets into the race soon.
Knowing how stupid this country has become, they would probably elect her.
I shutter to even think of it...
shudder, not shutter

Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,435,284 times
Warren dropped after everyone saw that M4A was going to cost somewhere between 20 and 50 trillion, and people realize that is a pipe dream at the present time.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:04 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,107,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
shudder, not shutter
Yeah I realized that after the fact (before anyone said anything to me). Oh well...

Old 12-02-2019, 12:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,528,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
He is still a governor there.

His term as governor expires Jan 4, 2021. He has another 13 months in his current position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections