Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times

Advertisements

The Howard Shultz campaign as an independent has the Democrats worried.
Democrats uneasy about potential Howard Schultz bid

For a businessman who grew a small coffee roaster into an inescapable global chain, who ensured that even his part-time workers had benefits and who has given about $150,000 to Democratic campaigns, former Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz is generating tepid — or even hostile — responses within the party as he weighs a presidential bid in 2020.

That’s partly because — as Schultz told “60 Minutes” on Sunday — he’s considering running as an independent, a prospect many worry could draw support from the eventual Democratic nominee and hand President Donald Trump another four years in office. Among those urging him not to run as an independent are David Axelrod, the former adviser to President Barack Obama, and Tina Podlodowski, the Democratic Party chairwoman in Washington state, where Schultz has lived for decades.

“It concerns me that so many voices within the Democratic Party are going so far to the left,” Schultz told CNBC last June. “I ask myself, ‘How are we going to pay for all these things?’ in terms of things like single-payer or people espousing the fact that the government is going to give everyone a job. I don’t think that’s realistic.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I have also heard talk about the Mayor of Los Angeles running as well. Maybe he would be better representative of California in this contest?
Oh no, not that guy. Let’s hope he goes the way the previous mayor did.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
According to Wikipedia, 149 candidates have now filed with the FEC for the 2020 Democratic primaries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_D...tial_primaries

I also note that they list Angelina Jolie as someone who has been discussed as a potential candidate.
I would vote for Angelina Jolie in the past, but not now. I think she definitely in the problem category.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM

And here is Trump trying to bait Schultz into the race, because he knows it will help him:
Howard Schultz doesn’t have the “guts” to run for President! Watched him on @60Minutes last night and I agree with him that he is not the “smartest person.” Besides, America already has that! I only hope that Starbucks is still paying me their rent in Trump Tower!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 28, 2019

Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM

I hope Hilary does run, she will take away some votes from others.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
And here is Trump trying to bait Schultz into the race, because he knows it will help him:

[MEDIA=twitter]1089881244312178688[/MEDIA]
Interesting, Schultz said the tax cut was not beneficial to a lot of people. He forgot a lot of people in USA don’t pay a lot of tax, so that’s why.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I hope Hilary does run, she will take away some votes from others.
I cannot immediately think of anything that would be better than Hillary running for president, yet again. Talk about dropping a turd in the punchbowl.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:18 AM

Kamala Harris kickoff announcement had a bigger turnout than Obama.

Kamala Harris draws bigger crowd than Obama for launch of White House bid
Could Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., be generating more early buzz than former President Barack Obama did more than 10 years ago? If attendance is any indicator, the answer could be yes.

The California senator officially entered the 2020 fray on Sunday with a speech outside Oakland City Hall. Ian Sams, Harris' press secretary, tweeted that more than 20,000 people showed up to see the event.
NEWS: More than 20,000 in crowd at @KamalaHarris launch speech. Thousands more still in lines for overflow.

— Ian Sams (@IanSams) January 27, 2019
For those of you who are focused in on Bernie, Beto and Elizabeth Warren, as if that is where the action certainly must be, you might want to think again.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:39 PM

It is official. George Will has lost his mind:
Democrats Have Their Thatcher in Elizabeth Warren, If They Dare

Margaret Thatcher’s description of herself as a “conviction politician” alarmed some Britons but delighted others because her convictions were incompatible with the flaccid centrist consensus that had produced their nation’s 1970s stagnation. In 1979, voters rolled the dice, sending her to Downing Street. In Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren, Democrats have their Thatcher, if they dare.

When elected leader of Britain’s Conservatives, Thatcher, disgusted by a colleague’s rhetorical mush about a glorious “middle way,” slammed onto a table Friedrich Hayek’s tome The Constitution of Liberty and exclaimed, “This is what we believe!” Today, with a forthrightness perhaps more bracing than prudent, Warren advocates a radical agenda that is approximately Thatcherism — capitalism invigorated — inverted.
Bwahaha. It is apparently time to fit old George for a rubber room.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Kamala Harris kickoff announcement had a bigger turnout than Obama.

Kamala Harris draws bigger crowd than Obama for launch of White House bid
Could Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., be generating more early buzz than former President Barack Obama did more than 10 years ago? If attendance is any indicator, the answer could be yes.

The California senator officially entered the 2020 fray on Sunday with a speech outside Oakland City Hall. Ian Sams, Harris' press secretary, tweeted that more than 20,000 people showed up to see the event.
NEWS: More than 20,000 in crowd at @KamalaHarris launch speech. Thousands more still in lines for overflow.

— Ian Sams (@IanSams) January 27, 2019
For those of you who are focused in on Bernie, Beto and Elizabeth Warren, as if that is where the action certainly must be, you might want to think again.
No that’s her area. She used to work in SF. Why I’m. It surprised she has a big crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections