Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,514,587 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg is out today blasting Schultz for running as an independent. Bloomberg claims that his complaint is that a third party candidate could never win. But the truth is that Bloomberg himself is probably more plausible running as an independent, rather than as a Democrat as he appears to be poised to do.
Bloomberg bashes Schultz over possible independent 2020 bid

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday an independent 2020 White House bid by former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz could siphon off enough votes from Democrats to help re-elect President Trump.

Bloomberg in a statement pointed to his consideration of an independent presidential bid in 2016 and said there is "no way" a third party candidate could win. Bloomberg, who served as New York City mayor as a Republican and independent, said an independent bid by Schultz would likely benefit Trump.
What he is more plausibly complaining about here is that if Schultz announces his candidacy as an independent - especially this early - it will be almost impossible for Bloomberg to make the decision to run as an independent later on, effectively depriving him of that option. And that is what Bloomberg is really upset about here, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 01:49 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Bloomberg is out today blasting Schultz for running as an independent. Bloomberg claims that his complaint is that a third party candidate could never win. But the truth is that Bloomberg himself is probably more plausible running as an independent, rather than as a Democrat as he appears to be poised to do.
Bloomberg bashes Schultz over possible independent 2020 bid

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday an independent 2020 White House bid by former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz could siphon off enough votes from Democrats to help re-elect President Trump.

Bloomberg in a statement pointed to his consideration of an independent presidential bid in 2016 and said there is "no way" a third party candidate could win. Bloomberg, who served as New York City mayor as a Republican and independent, said an independent bid by Schultz would likely benefit Trump.
What he is more plausibly complaining about here is that if Schultz announces his candidacy as an independent - especially this early - it will be almost impossible for Bloomberg to make the decision to run as an independent later on, effectively depriving him of that option. And that is what Bloomberg is really upset about here, in my opinion.
Yeah, I wonder about a Bloomberg, I actually might vote for this guy if he runs as independent, but not as a Democrat.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Yeah, I wonder about a Bloomberg, I actually might vote for this guy if he runs as independent, but not as a Democrat.
If Shultz announces himself as an independent candidate, it will be exceedingly difficult for Bloomberg to run as an independent as well, as there is no primary process for independents. They all go straight to the general election and will run against not only each other, but against the Democrat and Republican nominees as well.

That is why I think Bloomberg is so bothered by this. It limits his options quite significantly.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 AM

The Democrat left media and social media lynch mob is proposing a boycott of Starbucks as a result of Howard Schultz statement of intent to run for President as an independent.

Please keep in mind that Shultz is no longer Starbucks CEO and has no direct affiliation with Starbucks. But of course as we have seen too many times and as we all know all too well, the Democrat left lynch mob has no appetite for democracy, freedom of speech, or any kind of human decency or respect.

Quote:
Angry Democrats call for Starbucks boycott after ex-CEO touts independent presidential run

Angry Democrats call for Starbucks boycott after ex-CEO touts independent presidential run Democrats have ganged up on former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, threatening to make him a “target” and ditch their morning coffee amid fears he can chip away at portions of Democratic with an independent 2020 presidential bid.

The boycott call has been championed by the Center for American Progress, a think-tank founded by Clinton confidant John Podesta. “I will start a Starbucks boycott because I’m not giving a penny that will end up in the election coffers of a guy who will help Trump win,” CAP’s president Neera Tanden tweeted.

It was echoed by Ian Millhiser, columnist at CAP-run ThinkProgress, tweeting that all major progressive groups will weaponize their email lists to promote a Starbucks boycott. The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake chimed in, as well several prominent members of the anti-Trump resistance.

{More at the link}
And of course this is just the beginning. These people will go after his family, they will fabricate lies and falsehoods that are more despicable than any decent person would ever imagine. The media will make him an open target, and as we have seen with the physical attacks by Antifa and against Senators and White House staff in restaurants and other public places, his physical security will very certainly be a major concern.

The Democrat left media and social media lynch mob are locked and loaded. They are without principle or any kind of human decency and the end justifies the means.

What a bunch of monsters these people have become.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Kamala Harris is apparently going all the way left.

If you like your health insurance, under her plan, she is saying stating that you cannot keep it. A quote from an interview Harris did with Jake Tapper on CNN:

Quote:
Harris: Do you like your health insurance? You can’t keep it
TAPPER: Just to follow up on that, correct me if I’m wrong. To reiterate: You support the Medicare for All bill, I think initially co-sponsored by Bernie Sanders, you’re also a co-sponsor.

HARRIS: Yes.

TAPPER: I believe it will totally eliminate private insurance. So for people out there who like their insurance — they don’t get to keep it?

HARRIS: Well, listen, the idea is that everyone gets access to medical care. And you don’t have to go through the process of going through an insurance company, having them give you approval, going through the paperwork, all of the delay that may require. Who of us has not had that situation where you’ve got to wait for approval, and the doctor says, “Well, I don’t know if your insurance company is going to cover this”? Let’s eliminate all of that. Let’s move on.
This will play well among the radical activist left Democrat base that will vote in disproportionately strong numbers in the primaries. But in the general election, and combined with the hate-filled race rhetoric that is sure to be a centerpiece of her campaign, this is going to be regarded as quite radical and extreme.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:59 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
And here is Trump trying to bait Schultz into the race, because he knows it will help him:
Howard Schultz doesn’t have the “guts” to run for President! Watched him on @60Minutes last night and I agree with him that he is not the “smartest person.” Besides, America already has that! I only hope that Starbucks is still paying me their rent in Trump Tower!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 28, 2019
We have 2 AM local sports talk stations here that I listen to while driving. They are all abuzz about Schultz running, and they are reaming him.

Shultz owned the Seattle Sonics, and tried to get a tax-funded stadium built around 2003. The city was stadiumed-out, still paying off the Kingdome that was imploded around 2000, and we had just built the Sonics KeyArena in 1995. Shultz didn't get his new stadium, so he sold it to an OKC guy who moved the team there. IIRC Shultz made a $130 million profit on the deal.

The sports talk guys are huge hypocrites. They incessantly push the tax-funded stadium model that set up this situation, but then dump all the blame on Schultz. It is interesting to note that he's not getting much love from Seattle, though.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Too crowded, even Garceti is not running. Phew, what a relief.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 AM

Dems 2020 (Politico): Biden 33, Sanders 15, Harris 10, O'Rourke 6, Warren 6

Old 01-30-2019, 09:50 AM

Democrats are distancing themselves from Kamala Harris proposal to eliminate private health insurance plans.
Democrats distance themselves from Harris' call to eliminate private health plans

The emerging 2020 presidential campaign has deepened the Democratic party's divide over how the government should cover all Americans, further exposing the differences between those who want a total overhaul of the health care system and those who prefer a more incremental approach to fix it.

Sen. Kamala Harris of California renewed the party's debate over single-payer health care in a CNN town hall Monday, saying she's willing to end private insurance, which more than 170 million Americans use.

But they again exposed the division within the party, as several Democratic senators -- from the rank-and-file members to leadership to other potential presidential contenders -- did not follow Harris' call to eliminate private health insurance.
If Kamala Harris is too far to the left for many in the Democrat party, then what are her prospects in a general election?

Old 01-30-2019, 10:02 AM

Is there a place in the presidential race for Sherrod Brown, the rumpled 66 year old melanin-challenged Senator from Ohio? Some people think so, and Senator Brown is hitting the road on a listening tour to go find out.

The article below portrays him simultaneously as a champion of a "perpetually rumpled brand of blue-collar populism" and also one of the Democrat party's "biggest progressive stars."
Rumpled Ohio liberal Sherrod Brown ponders place in 2020 Democratic race

Ohio’s Sherrod Brown faces a vexing question: In a 2020 Democratic presidential race already crowded with some of the party’s biggest progressive stars, is there room for his perpetually rumpled brand of blue-collar populism?

His allies say his support for liberal social causes and his proven appeal to blue-collar workers make him a uniting force in a party debating whether to focus on winning back working class voters who favored Republican Donald Trump in 2016 or rally the suburban, women and minority voters who fueled the party’s gains in last November’s congressional elections.

He will begin his “Dignity of Work” tour of states with early nominating contests outside his hometown of Cleveland before heading to the crucial kickoff state of Iowa. Trips to New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada will follow.

{More at the link}

It sounds like a lot of spin to me. He has no charisma and the rumpled thing makes him look like a slob. As far as his "progressive" credentials, I do not recall him ever really distinguishing himself in that way either.

Whether he runs or not, who knows. But this looks like a fools errand. If I had to make a guess, I would guess that he will not ultimately run. But of course time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections