Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 01:04 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,068 times

Advertisements

Donald Trump "reveals" Elizabeth Warren's 2020 campaign slogan:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Trump is going to get out of the driver's seat and let someone else in?
Well he isn't indicating that but then I didn't think he would even get the GOP nomination and look at what has happened since 2015? I guess we will never to able to truly know what he will do until he does it?/I am more convinced he will not run if he gets his wall or fence. If he does that he will have accomplished about all he set out to do.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:17 PM

Julian Castro, the former Mayor of San Antonio, is apparently also going to run. It is not clear to me what his angle might be. If anyone else has a sense of that, please do share.
Julian Castro expected to announce 2020 Democratic presidential bid Jan. 12 in San Antonio

Former San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro is expected to formally launch his bid for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination Jan. 12 in his hometown. Castro, who also served as secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the Obama administration, stopped short of making his bid official in a media advisory Wednesday, just as he did Dec. 12 when he declared that he was establishing an exploratory committee in advance of a campaign.

However, his twin brother, U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro of San Antonio, dropped all pretense during a joint appearance on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert."

"I'll speak on his behalf. He's going to run for president," Joaquin Castro said in response to prodding from the late-night comedian. "For the FEC lawyers — he didn't say it. I said it."

Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Former Maryland Governer Martin O'Malley, who was one of the sacrificial lambs who ran against Hillary Clinton for the Democrat nomination in 2016, has announced he will not run for president in 2020. The larger purpose of this announcement appears to be his endorsement of Beto O'Roarke, who has yet to formally announce his candidacy, but is expected by many to do so in the weeks to come.
Beto O’Rourke gets an Iowa boost
Martin O’Malley exits the 2020 Democratic race — and lays out the rationale for the former Texas congressman.

Martin O’Malley’s announcement Thursday that he will not run for president may not have upended the 2020 presidential field. But by endorsing Beto O’Rourke at the same time he revealed his own departure from the race, O’Malley significantly advanced the case for the former Texas congressman in the Iowa crucible that could determine O’Rourke’s fate if he chooses to run.

Despite O’Malley’s weak performance in the Iowa caucuses in 2016 — he dropped out of the race on caucus night after receiving less than 1 percent of the vote — the former Maryland governor has spent years cultivating relationships with Democratic donors and activists in the first-in-the-nation caucus state.
The whole Beto phenomenon leaves me scratching my head. I get it that he came within single digits of beating Ted Cruz in Texas - after being backed by a tsunami of out of state money in what turned into the most expensive senate race in US history and in the process outspending Senator Cruz by a huge margin. But he lost and he will not win the state of Texas if he were to somehow happen to win the Democrat nomination for president.

Beto appears to me to be the beneficiary of huge amounts of free news coverage and ad spending. But if he has any sort of a nationally attractive platform or agenda, it is a complete mystery to me what it might be. In fact, if he runs as expected, I will be sincerely surprised if his campaign agenda is not the same sort of focus group generated pap that Hillary Clinton tried to trawl out to the American people, when she was not calling names and engaging in personal attacks, which was the true central theme of her campaign.

So, who is this guy? Correct me if I am wrong, but he is an ideological lefty that will have to compete for the same votes as Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, and whoever else comes out of the woodwork to compete to be the champion of that bracket of the Democrat contest. He has lots of money and he has decent name recognition, but not clearly as good or better than Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren on either front.

Some say that Beto is 'like Obama'. Perhaps in that Beto has no real world experience to recommend him to any position of power or responsibility, and that he is largely unknown and can be crafted like a blank canvas because of that, he is 'like Obama'. But in the most critical way, he is not. Obama would never have made it past the first four primaries if it had not been for his skin color and the fact that the Democrats wanted to vote for someone because of their race. Beto is not black and he is not going to be the first anything. These are the characteristics that made Obama successful more than anything else.

What is it aside from the cheers of some among the CNN and MSNBC crowd that sets Beto apart as someone that should vault him to the front of a 20+ person field of Democrat candidates for President of the United States? I really am not seeing it.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:15 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What is it aside from the cheers of some among the CNN and MSNBC crowd that sets Beto apart as someone that should vault him to the front of a 20+ person field of Democrat candidates for President of the United States? I really am not seeing it.

The globalists and establishment elite are trying as hard as they can to find someone who they can control again so they can install them in the White House.

So the MSM is doing everything they can to spin Beta into the new White Obama. The other Democrats won't stand a chance once the Super Delegates line up behind Beta.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The globalists and establishment elite are trying as hard as they can to find someone who they can control again so they can install them in the White House.

So the MSM is doing everything they can to spin Beta into the new White Obama. The other Democrats won't stand a chance once the Super Delegates line up behind Beta.
Bwahaha. Beta. I like that.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times
The only current clown car is Individual 1 and the deplorable GOP that fall in line behind him.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Might as well have Boy George & Culture Club give it a try -- he would fit in well with the rest of these people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwb9-OlQimc

Old 01-05-2019, 04:35 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Trump is going to get out of the driver's seat and let someone else in?
The opposition party still gets to run someone for president even if the current president is still in power.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:10 AM

20,101 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well he isn't indicating that but then I didn't think he would even get the GOP nomination and look at what has happened since 2015? I guess we will never to able to truly know what he will do until he does it?/I am more convinced he will not run if he gets his wall or fence. If he does that he will have accomplished about all he set out to do.
agree, if he gets the fence, he will have been tremendously successful in a one term Presidency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections