Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 03:09 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times

Advertisements

A handful at least of the current candidates are polling ahead of Trump in hypothetical match-up questions. There is concern whether that will last but this is still pretty impressive. Is there anyone left to save the Democrats? Depends if you want to excite the base more or appeal to swing voters.

If you wanted to excite the base, maybe beg Oprah or Michelle Obama. To appeal to swing voters, try to get Terry McAuliffe to re-consider.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-20-2019 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 10:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
A handful at least of the current candidates are polling ahead of Trump in hypothetical match-up questions. There is concern whether that will last but this is still pretty impressive. Is there anyone left to save the Democrats? Depends if you want to excite the base more or appeal to swing voters.

If you wanted to excite the base, maybe beg Oprah or Michelle Obama. To appeal to swing voters, try to get Terry McAuliffe to re-consider.

You must be a Right Winger to make such silly recommendations. Both Michelle and Oprah have made it very clear that they don’t want to be President.

Trump is going down the toilet. Even the Repubs are starting to grow a spine. God bless Rep. Amash (R) for saying he thought Trump should be impeached. Just wait... The Dems have a number of good candidates. Did you see Mayor Pete Buttigieg at a town hall on FOX NEWS this weekend? He was terrific. Even Chris Wallace, who was the moderator, was impressed.

King Donald I, Autocrat, will be deposed come 2020.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 AM

I am a moderate Democrat who happens to be willing to review all the options and angles.

Yes, both Oprah and Michelle Obama have been clear they are not going to run. The question was whether there were any options not on the table that could possibly be put on the table and change things. If they were put on the table, these might. The chances of either are less than 1%. Maybe zero. So I guess they could either go unmentioned or not cause worry about the basically abstract mention of them.

Stacey Abrams is far more likely. I probably should have focused on the possibility of her.

McAuliffe pulled out and probably isn't getting back in. But there is probably enough uncertainty about what happens in the next 6 months that there may be more than 1% chance he could get in during the fall.

There could be others but I won't drag them out at this time. The main point was: yeah, someone else significant could still enter and affect race or possibly win in some scenario.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-21-2019 at 03:24 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Like I said...completely fake news. None of that is true - just because the Fake News repeats it as if it is gospel, does not make it so.

Try to think for yourself my friend, instead of believing the myriad of lies Fake News feeds you daily.

I have seen Trump on TV so many times being such an ignorant jerk. It concerns me that so many of you MAGA types think so well of him. What in your personality or past makes you suck up to his nonsense? Is it a latent bully gene?

Old 05-21-2019, 11:27 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I have seen Trump on TV so many times being such an ignorant jerk. It concerns me that so many of you MAGA types think so well of him. What in your personality or past makes you suck up to his nonsense? Is it a latent bully gene?
I'm really indifferent to him. I only voted for (and support) him because of the Supreme Court.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I am a moderate Democrat who happens to be willing to review all the options and angles.

Yes, both Oprah and Michelle Obama have been clear they are not going to run. The question was whether there were any options not on the table that could possibly be put on the table and change things. If they were put on the table, these might. The chances of either are less than 1%. Maybe zero. So I guess they could either go unmentioned or not cause worry about the basically abstract mention of them.

Stacey Abrams is far more likely. I probably should have focused on the possibility of her.

McAuliffe pulled out and probably isn't getting back in. But there is probably enough uncertainty about what happens in the next 6 months that there may be more than 1% chance he could get in during the fall.

There could be others but I won't drag them out at this time. The main point was: yeah, someone else significant could still enter and affect race or possibly win in some scenario.
There are plenty of “significant†candidates already running. I believe you are simply a Right Winger just trying to stir things up.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I'm really indifferent to him. I only voted for (and support) him because of the Supreme Court.
OK, so you only care about the Supreme Court. Do you care about education, hungry children, tornadoes and hurricanes, international affairs, the military, retaining our allies, freedom? If all you care about is the Supreme Court, I have to assume you mean abortion and the Right Wing agenda, which includes NONE of the items I mentioned, plus many others.

People who only care about voting for a President based on what kind of judges he appoints has a very narrow view of the future of our country. You and Trump are taking our country and our society down, down, down.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
OK, so you only care about the Supreme Court. Do you care about education, hungry children, tornadoes and hurricanes, international affairs, the military, retaining our allies, freedom? If all you care about is the Supreme Court, I have to assume you mean abortion and the Right Wing agenda, which includes NONE of the items I mentioned, plus many others.

People who only care about voting for a President based on what kind of judges he appoints has a very narrow view of the future of our country. You and Trump are taking our country and our society down, down, down.

Well...I was hopeful he'd build the wall (and deport every last border-jumper in America), too, so...

Old 05-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Yes there are plenty of significant candidates already.

But stay warm2, you are completely wrong to choose to persist to think I am a right winger. There are plenty of right wing trolls here but I not one of them.

I have worked for candidates at a lot of levels. Including working for over a year for almost nothing trying to defeat Jesse Helms way back when. All candidates were Democrats or nonpartisan local races. When I was young I also was selected as a Democratic party official at both the county and state levels. But think what you want, if you won't accept my statements of facts. I also have worked for progressive policies at community, local and state government levels for decades. I am a moderate in part because I have seen too many defeats, mostly at national level, some of them perhaps avoidable if the candidate had been more moderate in tone and / or on a few (or a lot of) policy positions.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-21-2019 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 11:12 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,514,587 times
Here is a good article at the National Review that argues that Kamala Harris is marginalizing herself and her chances by playing to the far left wing of the party. This seems right to me.

Quote:
Kamala Harris Is Undermining Her Campaign
The California senator had a golden opportunity to emerge as a formidable contender. Instead, she’s marginalized herself by pandering to her party’s extreme.

If there was a primary for the most self-destructive presidential candidate, Sen. Kamala Harris of California would be the front-runner of the 2020 field. Instead of leveraging her profile as a pragmatic prosecutor who has distinguished herself in the Senate as a tough litigator of top Trump officials, she’s run a campaign that has embraced seemingly every half-baked idea from the party’s left wing.

Supporting Medicare-for-all legislation that would all but eliminate private health insurance? Check. Decriminalize sex work? On it. Reparations for the descendants of slaves? Let’s study it. Criticize Rep. Ilhan Omar for invoking anti-Semitic tropes that even the Democratic party leadership condemned? Hard pass. Voting rights for the Boston bomber? Let’s talk about it, at least before backtracking the next day.

{More at the link}
Of course she will play the race card, no matter what. But her path to victory is not to out-left all of the other candidates. Whether she can change course at this point and repair her trajectory, I do not know. But she has the capacity to be one of the leading candidates for the Democrat party nomination this year if she does. If she stays on the path she has been on, she is very likely going to be an early out.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a Kamala Harris supporter. But based on the character of the Democrat left base and those who are likely to vote in the primaries, she could be a top contender for the votes of these people, if she would just get her act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections